CAI vs Drop In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TTC06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok here's my next question guys. Is CAI worth it on the 5.7 or will a drop in do just about the same thing?

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think anyone has ever dyno'd the two separate set ups so it's hard to say whether a drop in will do the same as a cai but I know I've heard a number of people say it will do the same. I've always favored cai over drops ins though because it adds a touch of uniqueness and we do know they make a difference.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
A true cold air intake will outperform the stock setup with a drop in filter. The accordian shaped tubing connecting the factory airbox to the throttle body is restrictive and leaves room for improvement. Also, the better cold air intakes will draw in colder air than the stock setup as well because of where they pull the air in from.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
a cai is going to sound better too

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
and look cooler!

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A true cold air intake will outperform the stock setup with a drop in filter. The accordian shaped tubing connecting the factory airbox to the throttle body is restrictive and leaves room for improvement. Also, the better cold air intakes will draw in colder air than the stock setup as well because of where they pull the air in from.

OEM intake pulls 100% of its air from the passenger front fender. How does it get any cooler than this?

I have the K&N drop in but its nice because in the winter more/cooler air kills fuel economy. I can easily throw in a cheap paper filter and gain some MPG over the winter :head3:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Theoretically that cooler air would net you equivalent fuel economy, and more power, assuming you keep your foot out of it lol. The only reason it would make fuel economy worse it the higher density makes the engine want to dump more fuel, but keeping the TB more closed would neutralize this issue.... lol

NJDodger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do they make a replacement tube for the 12 like the Airaid Jr. w/ a drop in I have on my 06? I like my setup for being more weatherproof than an open filter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
OEM intake pulls 100% of its air from the passenger front fender. How does it get any cooler than this?

I have the K&N drop in but its nice because in the winter more/cooler air kills fuel economy. I can easily throw in a cheap paper filter and gain some MPG over the winter :head3:

How much air is it actually pulling in through the fender though? The S&B airbox pulls air from both the fender and has an additional scoop facing down to draw in air from under the bumper. The Vararam unit pulls in outside air from directly over the radiator and is sealed off against the hood so that engine heat does not soak in. Both of these intake kits will bring in more air than stock, and when you combine that with the fact that you are removing the accordian shaped factory intake tube, it is a no brainer. Many people have tried to put down the effectiveness of true cold air intake kits, but the track timeslips and dyno numbers prove those claims false every time.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Do they make a replacement tube for the 12 like the Airaid Jr. w/ a drop in I have on my 06? I like my setup for being more weatherproof than an open filter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Legmaker makes exactly what you are talking about. It also comes with an 18" IAT sensor extension so that you can relocate it to the airbox. The sensor will get a colder reading at the airbox than in the stock location.

LegMaker Carbon Fiber Mid-Tube 09-up Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Trucks

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Way More Than You Want to Know About CAI

The factory air box and intake are designed to suppress engine noise and make assembly of the vehicle by production line easier. Some engines like the 98-03 4.7L even had plenum resonators on the engine to further reduce throttle noise.
The factory air filter box also restricts the size of filter you can use whether factory or a performance drop-in. Even so, the drop-in filters air more efficiently and allows more air to get to your engine than the stock paper filter.
The factory intake tube is a flex-hose design that induces lots of turbulence and back pressure (non-laminar air flow). This means the engine’s intake is restricted.
CAIs replace either the entire air box & intake or replace the intake and part of the air box. Because their filter size is not limited by the air box, CAIs include much larger more efficient filters with far greater surface area to make it easier for your engine to draw the air it needs. Some CAIs are boxed, meaning the filter is fully enclosed and some use the vehicles hood to seal the filter away from hot engine compartment air. Colder air is denser allowing more air into the cylinders each intake stroke which burns fuel more efficiently, generating more power. Some CAIs also have additional ports for more cold air access and some have scoops for a ram-air effect forcing air through the filter under greater pressure.
CAIs have the effect of providing peak hp and torque at an earlier point in the rpm curve. Assuming you can keep your foot off the throttle, more power also means the engine doesn’t work as hard and you save a little mpg.
The issue with CAIs for me is the extra under hood noise. I had experience with a K&N open model and the noise under acceleration through the mountains completely drowned out my tunes and any hope of conversation in the cab. I have been told the boxed units are a bit quieter (S&B, VOLANT) and that the Vararam, even though it is an open design is also quieter—perhaps because it has a huge filter to reduce intake noise. I’m still saving my pennies, but around next May I expect to install a CAI.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
A CAI will outperform a drop in but in most cases the difference isn't going to be significant
There is room for improvement, such as an upgraded hose, but the factory air box has a pretty decent design (because of the stretch for performance an fuel mileage across the auto industry) while also keeping it quiet

As far as cold air along with a drop in air filter causeig a decrease in fuel efficiency, the drop is due to fuel additives that lower the BTU/gallon of fuel, if going to a paper filter helps your fuel mileage in this instance your better off running that filter year round (the filters don't change air temperature no matter the filtration specs)

LWP427

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 R/T
Engine
Drop in filter

Who besides K&N makes a quality hi performance drop in air filter? Thanks, LWP

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Afe does as well
I would try to stick with a high flow dry filter rather then an oiled

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A CAI will outperform a drop in but in most cases the difference isn't going to be significant
There is room for improvement, such as an upgraded hose, but the factory air box has a pretty decent design (because of the stretch for performance an fuel mileage across the auto industry) while also keeping it quiet

As far as cold air along with a drop in air filter causeig a decrease in fuel efficiency, the drop is due to fuel additives that lower the BTU/gallon of fuel, if going to a paper filter helps your fuel mileage in this instance your better off running that filter year round (the filters don't change air temperature no matter the filtration specs)

It isn't a matter of the paper filter changing the air temperature...

The paper filter is more restrictive...up here we see temperatures below -40 decrees celcius. When our 05 hemi was BRAND NEW our cold air intake drew so much cold air that the DBW throttle body froze up and the truck went into limp mode. This happened several times before the dealer caught on and we actually had to install the factory box for the winter and had no issues after this. This situation only pertains to those of us encountering sever winter cold.

The paper filter is obviously a hp loss but it also restricts the volume of cold air entering the throttle body which in turn leads to less fuel required. Its the reverse of why you guys ADD a cold air intake...:manos:

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It isn't a matter of the paper filter changing the air temperature...

The paper filter is more restrictive...up here we see temperatures below -40 decrees celcius. When our 05 hemi was BRAND NEW our cold air intake drew so much cold air that the DBW throttle body froze up and the truck went into limp mode. This happened several times before the dealer caught on and we actually had to install the factory box for the winter and had no issues after this. This situation only pertains to those of us encountering sever winter cold.

The paper filter is obviously a hp loss but it also restricts the volume of cold air entering the throttle body which in turn leads to less fuel required. Its the reverse of why you guys ADD a cold air intake...:manos:
So then you need to install the dry paper filter because the oiled filter is allowing to much moisture into the throttle body which is why it was freezing.
It might be a little bit more restrictive but it will not create nearly enough friction to cause enough change in temperature, especially that far below freezing temperatures to prevent freezing.