Cam/Lifter Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
So, I got really lucky...

A coworker is selling me a good used car for stupid cheap, so that will take the pressure off of me having to buy all the cam parts at once and I can shift to getting the performance parts I wanted since I will be doing the work myself.

Anyways, I wanted some opinions on what cam is best for me.

I will eventually do long tubes but as of right now I am bone stock. What Jay Greene cam is recommended for my daily driver? I plan to tow a 2 horse trailer a few times a year and an 8000lb camper a few times a year as well. Again, I wont be taking it to the strip but am looking for some oomph when towing and like merging onto interstate and whatnot.

Also, anyone on here have cam/lifter issues after putting updated lifters and a new cam in? If so, what cam/lifters did you swap in?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

A coworker is selling me a good used car for stupid cheap, so that will take the pressure off of me having to buy all the cam parts at once and I can shift to getting the performance parts I wanted since I will be doing the work myself.

I will eventually do long tubes but as of right now I am bone stock. What Jay Greene cam is recommended for my daily driver? I plan to tow a 2 horse trailer a few times a year and an 8000lb camper a few times a year as well. Again, I wont be taking it to the strip but am looking for some oomph when towing and like merging onto interstate and whatnot.

Also, anyone on here have cam/lifter issues after putting updated lifters and a new cam in? If so, what cam/lifters did you swap in?

Email him. He is excellent to work with. He does have a Facebook page to show his cam offerings that can be viewed through a web browser without having a Facebook account.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive looked at the page and his cams, I was just hoping for some forum member's feedback/opinions.

Thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Look at his .5 version cams,they're his torque cams,and that'd probably be what you're looking for.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got ahold of Texas Speed and they gave me an alright quote on a stage 3 cam and all the goodies to install including hellcat lifters and the circle D torque converter to go along with it shipped up here to Ontario Canada. Would have been a lot less if I went with a stage 1 cam and no torque converter but I want to upgrade the torque converter and do things right once....stage 3 cam!

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Could someone comment on reliability of new racing cams and related components?

If I were to get the new high performance cam and lifters, is that good for keeping truck long term or stock parts are better for long term worry free operation? Not really looking to race much

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could someone comment on reliability of new racing cams and related components?

If I were to get the new high performance cam and lifters, is that good for keeping truck long term or stock parts are better for long term worry free operation? Not really looking to race much

Isn't your stuff all settled? Any hemi tick left?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Isn't your stuff all settled? Any hemi tick left?
Well... I don't know. There are various noises come up from time to time, other times it sounds smooth. Some knocks happen other times. Got 105k miles now, only drive truck couple days a week now as I moved to sf and have small Nissan work van to fit into any parking spot.

I gave up worrying about it. I already did all I can by using redline 5-30, so whatever happens happens... Hope that worst case I'll just need to replace cam and lifters and not the whole engine :-/

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
From a drive-ability standpoint, I'm with Wild one. Jay's .5 HL cams are awesome, the .5 HL requires upgraded springs but is well worth it. Any super aggressive cam like the stage 3 is going to be a pretty aggressive slope, and I've got to think the longevity is going to be shorter. As a daily driver I'd personally be uncomfortable with a racing cam and TC, it makes city driving more of a pain, but to each their own! I've got a .5HL cam from Jay in my truck and it's awesome. It also sets you up nicely if you decide to add an SC or some other power adder later.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From a drive-ability standpoint, I'm with Wild one. Jay's .5 HL cams are awesome, the .5 HL requires upgraded springs but is well worth it. Any super aggressive cam like the stage 3 is going to be a pretty aggressive slope, and I've got to think the longevity is going to be shorter. As a daily driver I'd personally be uncomfortable with a racing cam and TC, it makes city driving more of a pain, but to each their own! I've got a .5HL cam from Jay in my truck and it's awesome. It also sets you up nicely if you decide to add an SC or some other power adder later.

James does your .5HL cam require the phaser limiter?
I think Jay is one of the only ones with some cam specs retaining the factory orientation?
For me with a daily driver, work truck the broad range of the stock orientation and aftermarket cam seems like a best case scenario
Question is- Is there enough of a performance difference, without adding a stricter phase limited cam spec, to justify the cost?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Delete/double posted

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
James does your .5HL cam require the phaser limiter?
I think Jay is one of the only ones with some cam specs retaining the factory orientation?
For me with a daily driver, work truck the broad range of the stock orientation and aftermarket cam seems like a best case scenario
Question is- Is there enough of a performance difference, without adding a stricter phase limited cam spec, to justify the cost?
Nope , no phase limiter need

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So, of these two which would you recommend for daily driver and light to moderate towing?
.5-V2 would be best for towing..........if you want it to be strong to 6500 rpm the 1.5-V2 would be choice.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
.5-V2 would be best for towing..........if you want it to be strong to 6500 rpm the 1.5-V2 would be choice.

What if I were more slightly more concerned with accelerating to merge onto interstate than towing? I dont tow often and when i do its not very far. But I travel a lot and am primarily hwy,

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Either or would work.........if you are geared 3.21 I think I would go with the .5
If 3.92 gear then probably 1.5
Going to need some long tubes to make that cam breathe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either or would work.........if you are geared 3.21 I think I would go with the .5
If 3.92 gear then probably 1.5
Going to need some long tubes to make that cam breathe.

I have the 3.92's, but an exhaust system will have to wait...theyre pricey! But I intend on doing it eventually.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have the 3.92's, but an exhaust system will have to wait...theyre pricey! But I intend on doing it eventually.

Stick with the .5 cam,i have the 1.5HL cam in my truck,and it's definitely a bit soft under 3,000,and i'm a full bolt-on truck,with long tube headers etc..On the bottle it's okay,but by no stretch would i call it a torque cam.My shift points are set at 6500

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stick with the .5 cam,i have the 1.5HL cam in my truck,and it's definitely a bit soft under 3,000,and i'm a full bolt-on truck,with long tube headers etc..On the bottle it's okay,but by no stretch would i call it a torque cam.My shift points are set at 6500

Alright, so the .5 HL v2 is probably what I will go with.

Does this use factory springs and rids or am I going to have to buy that stupid expensive tool and do the springs and all that jazz?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93