Can my box handle my subs? Need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted to know what you guys thought about the idea of having 2 12" Alpine Type R's under my back seat. Right now Im just running cheap 12" subs that are rated at a max of 500W, 6 years old and one came blown. But my concern with upgrading to the Type R's is that my box wont allow enough airflow. It may not even have enough airflow for the cheap subs I have in right now but they sound bad in any box. Anyone have any experience in this? Keep in mind that it is a ported box(which I have no idea if that makes a difference or not). Thanks ahead of time!

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of box? How many cuft (net airspace)is the box? What is the tuning of the box(in Hz.)
I ask these questions so you can match equipment to what you have, the box makes the sub not the other way around, a poorly designed box will make any sub sound bad(not enough airspace or to high/low tuning that dont match the specification of the sub)

OP
OP
K

kayl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill have to contact the previos owner and see who he got it through and if he knows the specs.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok yes they will work, but you will have to do a bit of experimentation.
First get some fiberglass insulation batting (or speaker box batting). Now install the subs into the boxes and listen to them at a reasonable sound level (do not push them yet). If they sound muffled then the box is a bit small. Now to fix this you add some of the Fibreglass batting to the box. Small pieces ( as wide as the original bat but cut into 6" lengths), should work fine. One piece at a time until the speakers sound perfect to you. They should not sound muffled at all. This trick works with all subwoofers.
Now if your new subs sound boomy, then you need to take airspace away from them. Easiest way to do this is to use 4"x4"x4" wood blocks. Again have several on hand. Use hot glue or construction adhesive to hold the blocks in place while you test the subs. Again when they sound correct to you you can use screws or nails to hold the blocks in place.
Some people use cotton batting available from Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart. This also works real well and is a bit denser than the insulation, plus you dont get the itchies afterwards.
A boxes airspace really does not matter if you know the tricks that can fool your subs into thinking they have what they need.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How about a little more info or a pic? Just saying "I have a box will it work?" will not work

-Ported boxes need to be bigger than sealed boxes, so it could very easily be too small.
-Is it a solidly made enclosure? if not it could be leaking like a sieve and would make the best sub in the world sound like $hit
-what kind of amp do you have?

But to answer you question, yes 2 type Rs will fit in the truck. will they fit in your enclosure? idunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981