Can you tune a factory pcm in a 2017 ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20hemi17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey new owner of a 2017 outdoorsman with the 5.7 hemi. Was just curious if you can tune the factory pcm and if so which tuner would be recommended?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey new owner of a 2017 outdoorsman with the 5.7 hemi. Was just curious if you can tune the factory pcm and if so which tuner would be recommended?
You'll have to send it out for unlocking before you can tune it.2015 and newer trucks have a locked pcm,that has to be unlocked before you can tune it.It's not cheap to tune a 2015+ truck.
Look up Ryan at FRP (Flying Ryan Performance) for tuning,and i'd go with HP,as not many tuners use Diablo anymore

OP
OP

20hemi17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. It's my daily driver and I'm in michigan so sending it out there might not be an option. I'll see if someone closer to home might be able to do it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the info. It's my daily driver and I'm in michigan so sending it out there might not be an option. I'll see if someone closer to home might be able to do it.
Pick up a used PCM to send for unlocking.Get the numbers off the back of your PCM,then hunt up a used one with the same numbers,and send it off for unlocking,that way your truck isn't down for any length of time.The other benefit to a spare PCM is you can swap the original back in,if the truck has to go in for any work.If the dealer flashes your unlocked PCM,you're screwed,as you'll be right back to square one,so it's wise to have your original pcm to re-install if the truck ever needs any work

OP
OP

20hemi17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great idea! It'll never go to the dealer so that shouldn't be an issue. Just curious, where is it located? And do the benefits outweigh the cost of unlocking and tuning?

Last edited:

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Great idea! It'll never go to the dealer so that shouldn't be an issue. Just curious, where is it located? And do the benefits outweigh the cost of unlocking and tuning?
Pop the hood & look on the firewall, right behind the air intake. You'll see a silver "box" with two large connectors coming out of it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Depends on if you're going to mod the truck or not.If you plan on throwing a cam / long tubes / convertor etc. at the truck,then you'll definitely need it unlocked so you can tune it,but if you're just planning on leaving it basically stock,the returns don't justify the cost.You can run upwards of a 75 shot of nitrous on the stock tune,with nothing more then a set of colder plugs and keeping the tank full of 93/94 octane fuel.You can thow a cheap nitrous kit on it,for close to what it'll cost you to to tune it,and gain more bang for your buck then you will from a cam/convertor/long tube combo

Duuplo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
An inline tuner module like Pulsar would be another option if you don't want the hassle of swapping PCMs. I bought one a couple months ago (~$600), simple in/un-install and gains are enough for a daily driver just looking for a peppier ride. Changes tire size for speedo correction, too. Can't do more in-depth stuff that a true tuner could though.

Duuplo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Full disclosure: I'm already thinking of upgrading to a full tuner, though. Possibly wanting to do the clutch fan delete + V6 efan mod, which I would need a unlocked PCM & tuner to take full advantage of in order to adjust cooling fan temp.

OP
OP

20hemi17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really looking to do anything major. Was hoping to increase the idle speed a bit and try to increase mileage and maybe hp. If that's possible anyway. I've noticed some lifter chatter so I'll be having those checked this year. Tryin to prolong the life of this as much as possible.

Duuplo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really looking to do anything major. Was hoping to increase the idle speed a bit and try to increase mileage and maybe hp. If that's possible anyway. I've noticed some lifter chatter so I'll be having those checked this year. Tryin to prolong the life of this as much as possible.
Pulsar advertises +30hp/+30tq on performance mode. There's a youtube vid where guy dyno'd before and after, saw +25-28 peak whp & wtq increase. I think there was actually higher gains in the mid-range. Definitely notice the throttle response, took me a couple days to not squeak my tires at every stop sign. Pulsar also comes with economy, tow and stock mods--all with MDS on/off options. Switch tunes on the fly.

I mostly cruise around in Perf/MDS off or Stock/MDS on modes. Haven't fully tested the eco mode yet. Overall, I've really enjoyed it--nice improvement over stock. If just doing bolt-ons, it's probably all you'll need IMO. I'm torn between just sticking with the inline module or dishing out for the unlocked pcm. Gotta spend more $$ to spend more $$. Lol

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Get it onto a good oil like Redline 5W-30,or at the very least start throwing a bottle of Lube Gard into the oil your using.Pennzoil Ultra Platinium 5W-30 and Lube Gard is a poor mans Redline 5W-30 substitute if the cost of Redline gives you sticker shock.If you're wanting to up the idle rpm,then you will need an unlocked PCM,but if that's basically all you're wanting to do,any cheap Diablo will work,after the pcm is unlocked.If you plan on doing much more then that,then HP is definitely the better option as far as tuning it

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

If you go the option @Wild one mentioned, you don't have send it anywhere. You can purchase one from HP. Sure it'll be little more money.

All you do is purchase the Tuner from HP. Download the file from your current one, upload it to them. Purchase unlocked with your settings already done.

Anything happens, or you bring it to dealer for 'warranty' if you even have it. You have original as backup. Think it was around $700-$800 US for everything, unlocked, tuner, software, security cable(if needed), licenses.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
CanRebel makes a good point about buying everything from HP.Your truck being a 17 you don't need the security bypass cable,as that didn't come into use until the 18's

OP
OP

20hemi17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK. Thanks for the info. I'll just go the hp route save some hassle for a lottle more money.

grocerygetter17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I also have a 2017 1500 and had to have an unlocked PCM. I ordered the diablo sport tuner and they had a package where they would send you an unlocked PCM and you would return the PCM that was already installed on the truck for a core charge. Seemed like the best and cheapest option. Somebody mentioned that there aren't many people tuning diablo sport these days. I'm not sure about that. But I do think more people prefer HP tuner. So far I am happy with the diablo sport though.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There seem to be two distinct "tuner camps", HP and Diablo. Each has its supporters and distractors, for various reasons. I have had a Diablo tuner for about 7-8 years and had a custom tune by Hemifever. I have NEVER had one problem. People who have had HP also have had similar results I'm sure. You need to determine what you're expecting from your truck, what mods you're going to do your truck, and if you are going to race it or just drive it on the street. Talking with your tuner will give you an idea of what will be best for your situation. If you are looking for maximum street and track performance, at present most all of the fastest 4th Gen Ram trucks in the nation are Diablo tuned.
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There seem to be two distinct "tuner camps", HP and Diablo. Each has its supporters and distractors, for various reasons. I have had a Diablo tuner for about 7-8 years and had a custom tune by Hemifever. I have NEVER had one problem. People who have had HP also have had similar results I'm sure. You need to determine what you're expecting from your truck, what mods you're going to do your truck, and if you are going to race it or just drive it on the street. Talking with your tuner will give you an idea of what will be best for your situation. If you are looking for maximum street and track performance, at present most all of the fastest 4th Gen Ram trucks in the nation are Diablo tuned.
Jay
The good tuners are dropping Diablo though Jay.Very few of the top name tuners still tune with Diablo anymore,just check out the car world,all the 7 and 8 second cars/trackhawks /durango's are all tuned with either HP or a seperate stand alone system like the terminator X.I didn't think Matt or Rick used Diablo on their fast trucks anymore either,i was under the impression they were both tuned via HP.The biggest issue with Diablo is the fact you can't change anything yourself,and Diablo still has a rep of bricking PCM's,do you want to take that chance.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know Matt uses Diablo but I'd have to check with Rick. They have both had a great relationship with Sean and I think they have been very satisfied with his tunes and their performance. I think people need to talk to tuners to see what they have to offer and match that with their goals and make a decision on what works best for them in their situation. I agree lots of people have been using HP but most of the trucks Matt "builds" still use Sean and they have had great success.
Jay

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Think it was around $700-$800 US for everything, unlocked, tuner, software, security cable(if needed), licenses.
As it happens I was virtual window shopping this week and prices have gone up a bit haha. looks like ill be staying stock tune for a bit yet.

so far looking like the 6.4 intake from a grand wagoneer is the best bang for buck. its pretty affordable on the Canadian mopar sites!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113-192410_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240113-192410_Chrome.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240113-192339_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240113-192339_Chrome.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240113-192324_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240113-192324_Chrome.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Staff online