Can't buy new truck if I'm in Australia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AusEco1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Just been in contact with a dealership and been told I can't buy a new ram 1500 if I'm in Australia but I can buy a second hand one, any reason you?

FCA AUS don't bring them in so doubt is that.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 14 eco diesel grand Cherokee. I am currently involved in the lawsuit between the EPA and FCA. I could be wrong as I have not been following it the last couple months, but the last I had info on is that the EPA has not cleared the 17's and newer ecodiesels for sale in the states.. but you can buy a 16 or older that has been previously sold or that is being sold as used.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I could be wrong as I have not been following it the last couple months, but the last I had info on is that the EPA has not cleared the 17's and newer ecodiesels for sale in the states..

That's old information, they have been cleared. 17s have been for sale and there are a few verified owner's on the forums. I have also seen 17s being shipped out from the Warren Truck factory out-lot.
34ef7a8cfbb546369793609d7bae5662.jpg

Last edited:

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like said I had not been keeping up with it lately. Just been reading what the lawyer has been sending me.

Good for them. I'll never own another eco diesel. My issues had nothing to do with the emissions scandal either. I bought it new for my wife, after 6 months she refused to drive it anymore. To many problems. So I was stuck with it .

Within 2.5 years and 48,000 miles, it had roughly $36,000 worth of work done to it by the dealer . Including a new engine, turbo, complete exhaust 3 times, body control module 2 times , ecm or pcm 3 times. Was in the shop 28 days for a faulty thermostat, and 2 days short of 6 months for the engine replacement.

Never again

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I understand dealers are not supposed to sell a new vehicle if they know it's going to be exported. The reason is that between pricing differences in different countries and exchange rates it can sometimes be cheaper to buy a vehicle in a different country.
In the OP's case that doesn't really apply if the vehicle isn't even officially sold in AUS, but the dealers just go with the blanket statement. In their defense, once the vehicle is picked up by the shipper they would not know if it really goes to AUS or some other country.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
AusEco, these rams have lots of issues, especially the eco diesel. There's many people on these forums who are struggling having those issues fixed by the dealers in US, for trucks that they bought from them. I imagine it'll be even tougher battle to get warranty for truck that you bought in US, to have it repaired under warranty in Australia.

Just search for ram manifold bolts issue, eco diesel engine issues, and lifters eating the camshaft and hemi tick. So not a reliable truck, and you may have trouble getting it fixed by warranty or buying parts.

Of course if it's your secondary truck, and you don't mind all the issues then it may make sense for you. This is just my own opinion.

OP
OP
A

AusEco1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Ok I found out why its a USA issue they cannot sell a brand new vehicle to be exported only second hand (reasonably easy to get around when I have family over there)

Sounds like I need to hold off on the Diesel then I guess Ill wait it out.

I thought it was the same engine being used in Jeeps?

OP
OP
A

AusEco1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I do big trips with a group of mates in 4x4's and here we almost all have diesels, and when on these big trips fuel stations are few and far between.

So having fuel cans is important and on the odd occasion when towing a camper trailer Ive seen guys run short and need to borrow.

If everyone is diesel and im fuel Im kinda ******. Plus better MPG on diesel also.

You dontr wanna be stuck in Arnem land alone or fuel less https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&...aw2fERgS03Z2zIPb2NDMnOzV&ust=1512126021781154

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is the same engine as the jeep grand cherokee. Tons of folks drive them without issue and love them. Some have had problems, just like any make or model.

They are not mall cruisers. Most of those that have problems don't get out on the highway much.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is the same engine as the jeep grand cherokee. Tons of folks drive them without issue and love them. Some have had problems, just like any make or model.

They are not mall cruisers. Most of those that have problems don't get out on the highway much.

Yea my dealership tried telling me I didn't drive mine enough also, I called him out on that. Just under 50k miles in 2.5 years . And it had a verified and documented 10 months worth of service time spent at the dealer, In which it was not being driven. I would guees that 90% Of the miles were highway , driving from Texas to PA and back at 75-80 mph.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea my dealership tried telling me I didn't drive mine enough also, I called him out on that. Just under 50k miles in 2.5 years . And it had a verified and documented 10 months worth of service time spent at the dealer, In which it was not being driven. I would guees that 90% Of the miles were highway , driving from Texas to PA and back at 75-80 mph.

You just had a very bad lemon. Why you have the EPA involved - I don't know. It takes about a month with a half-way decent lawyer to take care of a lemon car. They pay for the car, lawyer, and taxes paid on the car.

OP
OP
A

AusEco1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
So why are people having to wait so long on a Diesel? I dont understand if its the same as Jeep one there should be an easy supply and being most jeeps are diesel over here I havent heard of any issues here :S?

Out of 1900 for sale currently in Aus over 800 are diesels.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New V6 diesels are not widely available in the US. The US EPA has had the diesel on hold for months.... a long time... due to some disagreement on software. Theres a long thread on this somewhere. New RAMs have been available for maybe a month or two. Jeeps can now be ordered, but dealers don't have enough allocations to meet current demand.

Last edited:

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You just had a very bad lemon. Why you have the EPA involved - I don't know. It takes about a month with a half-way decent lawyer to take care of a lemon car. They pay for the car, lawyer, and taxes paid on the car.

Lemon law only applies within the first 12 months, and has to be the same problem repeatedly. As they kept saying it was something else I was unable to lemon law it.

As far as the lawsuit and the EPA it is unrelated to the problems I had, everyone whom purchased an eco diesel new has the option to be involved in it . According to the wording in the lawsuit ( which there are a considerable amount of people involved in) the eco diesel was sold under false emissions values. The info about it is freely available on the internet if you would choose to look into it.

Now don't get me wrong I didn't buy it for the emissions, I bought it for the fuel mileage. And it was great. At 75-80 mph I would average 34-36 mpg, and well over 600 miles a tank. My issues were with the many problems I had that were never resolved to the point I traded it in while it was in for service and getting it's 4th exhaust system.

I'm not bad mouthing Chrysler for this as I purchased another Chrysler vehicle. But the eco diesel still needs some work, mainly all the emissions crap they put on it. It is literally killing the engine.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Have you looked into the Nissan titan with a Cummins diesel engine?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want, the 2500 is available with the I6 cummins thats been around for decades. Emissions system components have plagued all current diesel pickups, however, regardless of manufacture. Some more than others. Tractor rigs are also plagued.

Last edited:

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the purpose of going deep into the back country modern (US spec) diesels are unusable. The OP may not be aware of it, but if the vehicle detects a problem with the emissions equipment it will disable itself after 200 miles. That can be a problem in some western US states too, I've been to corners in Oregon where there is no RAM service place within 200+ miles. Hence no diesel for me.
The OP might be better off with an AUS spec diesel. Also easier to get parts and repairs in remote areas.