Carven progressive or competitor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

y0rascal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man oh man im torn between buying the competitor or the progressive, On my mustang I had the off road x with flowmaster which i loved, then on my lightning i had the magnapack mufflers(2 of them) which sounded really sweet.

how bad is the drone with the competitor and at what speeds?

also anyone try and other muffler setups like MRBP? i like the fact that we can ust change the muffler.

y0rascal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also what kind of muffler does Carven use like glass pack or chambered?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The Progressive is pretty loud compared to stock buy nothing like a straight pipe.
If a person whats it louder 5" tips and or taking the resonators out would help as well.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would not want the competition after having the progressive with 5" tips, it is plenty.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would not want the competition after having the progressive with 5" tips, it is plenty.

I agree with that, my truck is just right maybe 5" tips down the road but any louder would be just alittle to much for me.
nice thing is going down the hwy I cant really hear it.

Jaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 6'4"
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone installed the mufflex drone suppression pipe? I'm thinking of doing that. The drone is abit much between 1500-1800 on the highway, It was hard having a conversation in the truck. Thoughts?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Which muffler do you have, Mine is pretty quiet at hwy speeds.

Jaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the progressive, it sounds amazing just loud inside between 75-80mph.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've got the progressive, it sounds amazing just loud inside between 75-80mph.

I think that is when it is the most quiet. I drive 75-80, 60 miles each day all highway, no issues. It is 45-50 region for me.

Jaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a crew cab? I'm thinking that since the muffler is right under the rear of the cab it's causing more drone inside. I may have some leaks I'm going to check tomorrow.

thisgr8ride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Guys , I don't get any drone on the HWY at all,( 100 - 120 KM/H sounds like stock) I only get it at about 80km/h ish.... But thats when the MDS kicks in, now i have the 8 speed tranny, so i just click Tow/Haul and click in into gear +/- 8 gear which kicks out MDS, try it my help you guys? Mine was bad but this Technic fixed that issue for me anyways, LOVE the sound ....

There other posts on here that will help with the MDS depending on your truck.

y0rascal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok just pulled the trigger and ordered the competition carven

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone installed the mufflex drone suppression pipe? I'm thinking of doing that. The drone is abit much between 1500-1800 on the highway, It was hard having a conversation in the truck. Thoughts?

Well it seems everyone who bought the progressive muffler when I did has come to the same summary. It sounds amazing but the drone is an issue when the MDS kicks in. We just need to find a fix for the drone... To be fair the company does say that it has moderate drone.

I agree about the conversation comment. I was having a hard time having a conversation on the interstate when the MDS kicked in. The drone tone is def annoying. It takes away from the nice cab experience.

I am lucky I have mostly city driving so it will not be bother for me. That being said I have a 7 hour road trip in a week or so which will be a test. We will find out of I can get used to it or if I want to finda fix.

After this whole experience I am glad I bought it the muffler but I am super glad I didnt get the louder version.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Mine does not bother me at all, little to no drone and can hear my wife talking just fine.

I will say when the mds kicks in it does not sound the best..lol

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does not bother me at all, little to no drone and can hear my wife talking just fine.

I will say when the mds kicks in it does not sound the best..lol

I used an air ratchet to put on the exhaust so I am 99 percent sure its not leaking. I may just be picky... I havent had an exhaust in like 10 years. My last car screamed without it. The MDS on this vehicle reminds me of my very first car a 2000 Eclipse 4 Cylinder with its Magnaflow exhaust when MDS kicks in ha.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I thought maybe at first it was the fact I am older and my hearing is not the best and I just did not hear the drone, But when my wife and I went to the store last night and half way there she says " This truck was not this loud before what did you do and how much did that cost". lol

That was after leaving a stop sign at over half throttle, she did not notice with a light foot or at hwy speed.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
One range can get me. But also running 5" tips changes things. I need to get together with the local folk and compare side by side.