Carven progressive or competitor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Switched out the competitor for the progressive. Its just the right rumble. I do have a considerable amount of drone at certain rpms. The MDS also sounds pretty bad when it kicks in.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Switched out the competitor for the progressive. Its just the right rumble. I do have a considerable amount of drone at certain rpms. The MDS also sounds pretty bad when it kicks in.

Nice! I know that the competitor is louder, but is there a huge change in drone? Was the competitor unbearable and caused you to switched?

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I've done the same thing. Never put the competitor on though. Progressive supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will sound good with the 5" carven tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question for the guys installing these systems. Ordered the Progressive series kit and currently have a Flowmaster 50 series welded in. Will I be able to get this done without going to a muffler shop and pay for the labor?! Only have pretty basic tools at home

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice! I know that the competitor is louder, but is there a huge change in drone? Was the competitor unbearable and caused you to switched?

The competitor was not unbearable for me but it sounded to loud for a truck in my opinion. It was loud no matter how light you were on gas pedal. The progressive is loud when your on it but comfortable when not. No mistaking the drone or MDS on both systems.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I think the CCs are hearing/having drone, my truck really has zero drone its pretty quiet at hwy speeds.
I do switch it to 8th gear to turn off the MDS because that sounds like crap when it kicks in.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Question for the guys installing these systems. Ordered the Progressive series kit and currently have a Flowmaster 50 series welded in. Will I be able to get this done without going to a muffler shop and pay for the labor?! Only have pretty basic tools at home

As long as the cut and welded it the stock location, should be able to swap it out. I had to remove my passenger side exhaust to install my bags. Only needed a 15mm long socket and wrench.

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the CCs are hearing/having drone, my truck really has zero drone its pretty quiet at hwy speeds.
I do switch it to 8th gear to turn off the MDS because that sounds like crap when it kicks in.

damn wish I had a quad cab, haha. Is there any way to reduce the drone? Mufflex has a drone supressor pipe, anyone used one of these before?

running in 8th gear range select mode all the time as well. Never liked the way it tries to drop gears in order to have enough torque to run in MDS, instead of just rumbling along in higher gears. That became even more annoying with the Carven on it...

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

yeah, just make sure you cut roughly the length of the stock muffler (measure if you still have it laying around) so you won't have issues fitting the carven.

just out of curiosity, did anyone else have a different size nut on one of the outlet pipe clamps of the stock muffler? didn't make sense to me but whatever...

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah, just make sure you cut roughly the length of the stock muffler (measure if you still have it laying around) so you won't have issues fitting the carven.

just out of curiosity, did anyone else have a different size nut on one of the outlet pipe clamps of the stock muffler? didn't make sense to me but whatever...

Yeah I noticed at too when I did mine. I think I started with 13MM then the other was 12 or 10. It ended up getting rounded off so I had to cut through the clamp.

SoCal Bomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick question, do i cut the clamps on my stock exhaust tips and reuse for the 5 inch tips or does the kit come with them?

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haha ok, so it's not just my truck

does anyone else with a crew cab have vibrations or a slight buzz in the cab at certain rpms? I believe it's the resonance hitting the floorboard...

Quick question, do i cut the clamps on my stock exhaust tips and reuse for the 5 inch tips or does the kit come with them?

The tips do not come with clamps, they're a $29.90 option when you order them.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You can reuse them from the oem tips. Just take a dremel and cut the small weld to free them from the oem tips.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever gone from a delete to the progressive? I took my Mufflex delete off because it was starting to drive me nuts. Just wondering if the progressive is going to be that much quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
sure it will be much better my truck is pretty quiet at hwy speeds.

SoCal Bomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn it, exhaust and tips arrived. One of the tips next to the Carven etching has a chip in the ceramic coating about half size of a dime!!!!! Should i return them, turn it upside down or have them powder coated for free?

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the competitor any louder than the 14" magnaflow? Seems like the carven has a little bit deeper sound than the magnaflow but hard to tell from videos.