catch can yes? or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to **** in anyones cheerios just saying that catch cans for what they are if you look at them are overpriced just as lots of things these days are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Catch me with your can...if your can can...
Catch cans are for me on the same level like smoke tests.
The ones love it and see a benefit, some don't and most don't care.
At the end it cost money.
And all comes together at: do you want to spend your money on it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Lets think about the "quality" of a catch can. Its not a diamond it is a piece of aluminum pressed out like a beverage can just thicker aluminum. Then some fittings ( cheap at any store). And some rubber hose. My point was that it is an inexpensive item and shouldnt cost what it does. It catches oil simple as that. Dont want a catch can. Run the blow by tube straight down from the pcv so that the oil runs out. Problem solved and rubber hose is cheaper than 100+ bucks. I can see why you get mad hemi450hp if they dont sell you dont eat. Show me where catch cans add performance from actual dyno and tune sheets. Learn about simple mechanics. Also while a lower rated thermostat will help make your engine run cooler, it does not add any meaningful hp. The difference is again negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I make my own with a $20 ebay one. It works maybe not as good as the BT one. But hey I have a catch can MAN!!! lol

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard many times that catch cans are needed more for people who install performance enhancements on their engines , my engine is bone stock less the occ & a better air filter and every 4,000 miles approx I dump approx 8OZ out of my OCC & I drive very conservative ?

44a980bf3da4ee9a1d77a710f5c64668.jpg

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard many times that catch cans are needed more for people who install performance enhancements on their engines , my engine is bone stock less the occ & a better air filter and every 4,000 miles approx I dump approx 8OZ out of my OCC & I drive very conservative ?

44a980bf3da4ee9a1d77a710f5c64668.jpg

Not saying that they do not serve their purpose. It shows they catch oil. But seriously for daily drivers or the weekend shade tree mechanic who "hot rods" their truck it may be worth it. If ram wanted to catch the oil then they would have installed one from the factory if it was necessary. Im just saying that catch cans are expensive for what they are physically.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If ram wanted to catch the oil then they would have installed one from the factory if it was necessary.

Not really. It would be another maintenance item that 90% of owners would either ignore or constantly forget about. You don't want that catch can to fill completely up and burp an oil slurry into a cylinder risking a hydrolock. From Chrysler's perspective, it's easier and safer, to just rout the blow by into the intake in vapor form knowing that ill side effects will be beyond the power train warranty.

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really. It would be another maintenance item that 90% of owners would either ignore or constantly forget about. You don't want that catch can to fill completely up a burp an oil slurry into a cylinder and risk a hydrolock. From Chrysler's perspective, it's easier, and safer, to just rout the blow by into the intake in vapor form knowing that ill side effects will be beyond the power train warranty.

On top of this statement, this would be another issue with the EPA. How many people are going to take what little oil they have out of the catch can and take it to a reputable place to be disposed of? 99.5% won't.
They will most likely dump it on the ground. The biggest issue would be that it's another maintenance item which would be forgotten by the general public.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On top of this statement, this would be another issue with the EPA. How many people are going to take what little oil they have out of the catch can and take it to a reputable place to be disposed of? 99.5% won't.
They will most likely dump it on the ground. The biggest issue would be that it's another maintenance item which would be forgotten by the general public.

Now the logical next step would be a return pipe back into the crank housing and you have a sophisticated version of a pvc valve...

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If someone cares enough about their vehicles to install an occ , then they likely do their own oil changes , they would likely dump it in their waste oil container .
Only an idiot would dump oil on the ground .
Idiots do not know enough about the need for engine maint . or even know what an oil catch can is .
My .02

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If someone cares enough about their vehicles to install an occ , then they likely do their own oil changes , they would likely dump it in their waste oil container .
Idiots do not know enough about the need for engine maint . or even know what an oil catch can is .
My .02

Don't be too sure about that... I've seen some **** from people that change their own oil, and "install" their own parts... Lol

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't be too sure about that... I've seen some **** from people that change their own oil, and "install" their own parts... Lol

yeah- the best I've seen was a little plastic piece with a V-shape attached with 2 tie straps to the fuel line. The guy told me proud, he bought it for 70 euros (was in Germany) at the fair from a guy proving him on his computer, that the device straightens out the electrons in the fuel and this saves him up to 5mpg. and he was swearing it works.
what it really did, it psychologically programmed his brain to fuel saving driving habits and he really saved the mpg. He actually wanted me to get it out and install it "professionally" like the guy at the fair, in his new car.
I did. for 25 euros. Special price with new car buy discount of course. He saved 25 euros or 50-% to regular installation price. Good deal. :roflsquared:

you get what you ask for- not more, not less.

want more stories what stupid people pay money for?

I had this young guy with his "tuned to the core" BMW 316 compact.
What I did, I had always some good used parts, I took out of vehicles before we scrapped them. I cleaned them and some I just painted with spray paint because they just looked better.
I had them on the shelf behind my desk. and it came, that I had a blue, a yellow and a red painted fuel rail for the BMW 316 on the shelf. this guy came in and immediately asked if these are tuning fuel rails. I said- yes- of course- they give you lots of power. he asked about the colors. I said: yellow for small tuning, blue for more power and the red is hot. very hot. He said, he want the red one. I told him- boy- I don't know, if you're ready for the red one- that thing throws the brain out of your head when you speed up. I would recommend the blue one, just for your safety. He wanted it so bad. I sold him the fuel rail for 495.95- including 100 bucks discount. plus 95.99 installation.
no joke- he loved it and came back 3 month later, was amazed how much power he got with the blue fuel rail and that he has enough training now to go with the red one. he also brought his buddy with, who bought the blue one from him and I installed for 150 bucks the blue one in the buddy's 316 and for another 595 the red one in the boy's. and all their buddies came to us for tuning. yeah- that's how you make money. laughable- but yeah- that's how it goes.

don't judge me for it- I did what people ask for.
On the other hand- I had almost zero vehicles coming back for the same repair- because I am a true believer of do it right the first time.

Last edited:

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4
R.L.K - You have a red CC - I bet that thing causes you head rest to bend back when you peg the peddle! My CC is the billet aluminum flavor, I figured stock performance was enough for me!

:happy107:

Sorry, someone had to do it!

:naughty:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
R.L.K - You have a red CC - I bet that thing causes you head rest to bend back when you peg the peddle! My CC is the billet aluminum flavor, I figured stock performance was enough for me!

:happy107:

Sorry, someone had to do it!

:naughty:
Not sure what your referring to there Sir ? BUT. ....

If your just being sarcastic then , hell I can play along just for you !

Actually for only $3550.00 more dollars you can get them in RED and as far as the headrest bending backwards with more right pedal .... no it does not bend at all my friend because the RED ones come with a custom made solid frame reinforced full length seat (headrest included) form fitted to your ass AND neck area. Complete with a 5 point center latching fully adjustable harness type restraint system . Everyone knows the RED OCC immediately enhances the stock 5.7L Hemi to 700 HP .
Oh and it comes complete with instructions for the install of the occ and the seat !
The best part about the deal I got was I received a special one time discount of 25% off because I was new to the Hemi !
Wow ! These RED Oil catch cans are really something!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My .02

Exactly. I do every maintenance item (rotate tires, change oil, replace brake rotors & pads, etc.) that I can. I have containers for my used oil. When I have about 25 gallons, I take them to AutoZone or Advance Auto to recycle.