Cherry Bomb Extreme

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered my CB Extreme on Friday. Wondering if I should delete the resonators while I'm at the shop next saturday. What are the pros and cons of having resonators? For the exhaust install and resonators delete it would be right at $100.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you know the shop, maybe ask if they would be ok if you just did the mufflers now and drove around for a bit to see how you like it. If you wanna go louder then just go back and take off the resonators. Exhaust is all personal preference, maybe you will be happy with just the mufflers changed.

OP
OP
M

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I'm thinking about doing. They told me it's $50 for muffler replacement and $25 for each resonator. So I'm thinking they will be okay with this.

What is the point of a resonator though? I guess I'll googlefu that but input is appreciated.

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I had the CBE, IMO it sounded better with the resonator's on. The 14" Magnaflow, Flowmaster Super 44 and Dynomax Ultra flo all sound better without resonator's. Flowmaster Super 10, CBE and muffler delete sound better with the resonator's left on. Been there and done it from my own stupidity (don't get caught up on the you-tube videos; it's different sounding when you have to drive with it) and to me the CBE was too cackly when you hit the accelerator without the resonator's.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resonators are there for sound I believe, has nothing to do with emissions. A Lot of sedans have them on them, most buyers want a quiet vehicle today. Go sit in a new Buick or the like, you start it and you have to look down at the tach to tell if it's running it's so quiet.

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The resos help with keeping the sound down in the cab. I took mine off when I had my 14" maggy put on and I love it! On my last ram I had the super 10 (which is similar to the extreme) it sounded great as well just a lot of drone

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So leaving the resonators on should probably help reduce drone?

OP
OP
M

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I'll just have them install the muffler then and leave the resonators. I'm sure it will be loud enough for me.

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The resos help with keeping the sound down in the cab. I took mine off when I had my 14" maggy put on and I love it! On my last ram I had the super 10 (which is similar to the extreme) it sounded great as well just a lot of drone

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

i installed a flowmaster on mine, left the resos & I get drone only at low speeds with engine running on 4 cyl. at speed though...NO drone

OP
OP
M

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I ended up leaving the resos on. Not much drone at hwy speeds. I figured I'd get better gas mileage since I lost about 50lbs :p but I like the sound too much to not open it up more often.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to hear your happy with it, nice sound. Drive it for a few months for the muffler to set in and so the sound sits well with you. Decide about the resonators only then, you'll make the best decision for yourself then.

syonxwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered my CB Extreme on Friday. Wondering if I should delete the resonators while I'm at the shop next saturday. What are the pros and cons of having resonators? For the exhaust install and resonators delete it would be right at $100.

I don't believe you will be unhappy if you delete the resonator.
Ours is a custom catback, factory 2.5" Y leads to two cherry bomb extreme mufflers, each of those are 3" out to custom stainless steel all the way back, with no resonator left.

This was shot with a gopro hero 3+, which has pretty damn good sound quality. I would still say that it isn't "exact", it's a little deeper in the video than in person, but barely. This video should have a little bit of everything, except sitting still revs, and she didn't get a long enough stretch to do a long WOT run, but she gets a short one in at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3662Ouirbgw