churping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my truck is making a churping sound comeing from somewhere in the back while driving. you can hear it the most below 40 mph. it is intermitten like its a rotating part. when i get around 10-20 mph as if im slowing down its more draged out, does anyone know what this could be?

OP
OP
E

EMR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok i didnt check u joints but everything with the rear brakes looks good, thanks

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I believe that is the rear axle. go under the car, brake it and tell someone to accelerate and see if you ear something similar coming from the axle

PeterD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
same issue

I have the same issue ,i looked online and was disturbed to find there is a known issue with these model with a posi rear end from 02-05.

I started with the brakes but that did not correct the issue ,before I throw lots of money into swapping out parts does anybody have any insight?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
My guess is the chirp noise is a U joint. And yes the limited slip occassionally will break it's clutch clips which are harden steel and cause havoc. It is a lot like the valve springs on 03/04's it's happened to a few, but then there are others that have never had a problem.

PeterD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
update

So I got inspired and pulled off my rear diff cover because of some issues I read about the rear end.Sure enough the clutch pack retaining clip(s) was in pieces and stuck to the magnet on the the bottom of the diff.
I did not replace the clips at this time because I had heard that if there was no visible damage I would be all set without the clips. I have driven the truck for the past week and the rear end noise on my truck is gone.
While I was working on the truck I had my brother who has Dodge connections checkout the issue with his buddies and they told him there is a "parts bulletin" not a recall from Dodge about the retaining clips and to use an updated parts number for replacement clips.
So as of today I am planning on replacing the clips, rumor has it that it does comes with instructions but I will update you when I have more info.

DarkSilence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would like to know what you find out. I think I might have the same problem, but hope it is only the u-joint.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Yes, broken clips has the potential of destroying both the housing and gears.