Cleaner wax vs Regular paste wax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Finally going to step up my waxing game a little bit this year because I'm tired of my "waxes" not lasting more than 3 weeks at the best. So I'm thinking of either getting cleaner wax or a hardshell carnuba or something. Keep in mind, the truck is 16 years old and parts of the paint aren't the best, I just want something to keep the shine going on it.

Which of the two should I get?

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A cleaner wax will have some sort of abrasive in it to remove paint defects, these are often best applied by machine. You CAN do it by hand but you didn't indicate if this would be machine applied. Most "waxes" will give you a few weeks to a few months of protection so you need to research the type of wax your looking at/using to determine how long you expect your product to last. Perhaps you should look more towards the sealants instead. A good OTC product would be collinite 845 which you can get at some part stores, duragloss would be another good choice.

Wolfhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently used Adams quick sealant and their buttery wax. Man my truck repels water like it's going out of style. Quick sealant is super easy too because it's an aerosol can so just spray and rub in.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What they've said. Get a sealant if you want lasting protection.
Mind you, baking out in the hot sun will reduce the life of any product.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is always the ol' trusty Nu-Finish which is easy to find and cheap at most any store. It smells terrible but applies and buffs off easily, and protects like crazy. I use it on my wheels, my old car and trailer as they need protection more than buttery wax look.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're looking over the counter, like mentioned before Collonite and Duragloss products are nice.
Meg's ultimate lasts pretty long also and can be found anywhere.
I've had a little trouble with it streaking on black paint though.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just need something that will help the water bead so the dirt runs off better and lasts longer. lol
I was wondering about the Nu-Finish.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
I just need something that will help the water bead so the dirt runs off better and lasts longer. lol
I was wondering about the Nu-Finish.

Kick me a PM. I'll send you something you may enjoy. ;)

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I actually use Marine31 Wax + Sealant. Same stuff for my boat.

READERS NOTE: Do NOT use ANY kind of marine POLISH on your car. A boat's gelcoat is roughly 10x's thicker than your clearcoat. The abrasives will eat through your car's finish in no time. I use the product above because it is exactly as described (Wax + Sealant), with very little abrasive material. You've been warned!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
hmm okay
I actually use Marine31 Wax + Sealant. Same stuff for my boat.

READERS NOTE: Do NOT use ANY kind of marine POLISH on your car. A boat's gelcoat is roughly 10x's thicker than your clearcoat. The abrasives will eat through your car's finish in no time. I use the product above because it is exactly as described (Wax + Sealant), with very little abrasive material. You've been warned!

Sounds scary. :emotions33:

Oh, and did I mention I need something inexpensive? ;)

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just put that up there in case someone looked them up and thought about using their polishes on a car. Hate to see someone mess up a perfectly good paint job.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
True that. Too many people get screwed over by bad or misinterpreted advice they get on forums and those ask sites.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Hey Nick, does that go for others too :). Haha.

OP, definitely check out Adam's Polishes and watch their videos. They have great products that apply and buff away with ease. And they smell great.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Insulator Wax » Collinite twice a year, hit it with a spray wax as you dry it after every wash will keep the water beading, wash it every 1, 2, or 3 weeks to keep it up. I like meguiers spray wax, as well as Lucas Oil spray wax.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
over the counter waxes generally will not last as long as a commercial grade wax products cause they want you to buy more and more making them more and more money.
Body Pro has awesome waxes out there...."cleaner waxes" polishes, sealants etc,,,
Also, never wax a car/truck twice in one day haha...your paint can only hold so much wax.
Also, if the OP is simply looking to retain the shine...get a good detailer wax and apply as you see fit. also, just because the shine is gone, does not mean there is no protection!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And just because it's shiney doesn't mean that it is adequately protected.
Jay

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Op give Adam's stuff a try supposed to be a nice product line. Me I use the full range of AutoGlym products excellent stuff. I am almost out of the HD wax so this year I am going to try Swiswax not cheap by any means but I like to try different waxes when I run out.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've found with waxes...like anything, you get what you pay for.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you want the wax/sealant to stay put and protect longer than a few weeks! Then I wouldn't get either.

A good polish, followed by a real sealant will give the longest-lasting shine and protection.

I use to be a carnuba fan, and used it a lot.m great look and pretty easy ton apply... But a month at best protection was too much work, especially when I learned a lot more about paint finishes.

Between polish and sealant, many need to have oils removed so sealant sticks to the paint.

Cleaner waxes remove clear with every use. Mist do not last very long either.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk