clunking from rear end.. U joint and shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have been hearing a clunking coming from the rear end of my truck for a little while not whenever I go over bumps. Every time I hear it it just makes me cringe haha.

I am concerned that it was the U joints or the shocks. They are both oem and I want to replace them. I couldn't find any play in the U joints but because of all the rust and cheap insurance I want to replace both of them being that I hit 70k miles.

I have a question about the shocks though. I planned on putting a kore, lorenz, or thuren leveling kit on my truck that would replace the front coils as well as all the shocks with bilstein 5100's. Besides lifting the front I want to put a 2in block in the rear.

The shock number is 6647 for the rear shocks. My question is that if I put them on this weekend will I be able to install the 2in block later on down the road when I can afford the rest of the suspension?

My plan was to replace the u joints and rear shock this weekend. But not sure how much those shocks will be able to travel. So just wondering if I were able to replace the rear shocks not would I be able to add a 2in block later down the road?

Thanks!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id wait and do it all at once. Youd be better off that way.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a clunking when I hit bumps too. Shocks are new but u-joints have 105k on them.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you check and see if you have any play in the U-Joints?

Yeah, I couldn't find any play in them. I can't find anything loose, I removed the spare tire and carrier so there's not much to move around under there. Jump up and down on the rear bumper and nothing makes a noise.

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just went under again and I didn't notice how worn my sway bar end links were. After looking at them I have a strong feeling that this is the cause. I guess it was easy to think it was coming from the rear but I think this was the cause. I'm going to have someone rock the front end for me to see how much play is in there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat