Could you guys do me a favor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Give your front axles a good shake and post up how much play you have.
Do you have play when you twist it? Can you jiggle it in and out? does it sort of rattle when you give it a shake?

I noticed my front end was making a little noise going over speed bumps and driving on rough roads. To my surprise, these axles have a some play in them. I was under the impression that there should be zero movement.

Wondering how much is normal.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Do you have play when you twist it? Can you jiggle it in and out? does it sort of rattle when you give it a shake?

I noticed my front end was making a little noise going over speed bumps and driving on rough roads. To my surprise, these axles have a some play in them. I was under the impression that there should be zero movement.

IFS will have some play. As far as the noise my problem was the front wheel bearings. They went south after 87000 miles. 60,000 of them lifted.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There should be very little 'play' unless you're a hell of a strong man!
There is a known issue with the axle retention clip being improperly sized / seated and it causing some grief.
Check out Boosted Motorsports YouTube channel, he has a quick video about it.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have went through this and almost bought new cv shafts as I didn’t know there was play in them. You should be able to move in and out a little and it should have a little give if you lift up and down. There may be a little knocking sound if you lift up and down/in and out. Nothing overbearing though. I was surprised when I found out this is normal.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting mine fixed right now....669B3796-23AD-463D-8280-BA658CDB5308.png

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bearings are tricky, you think they coming from One side, then you find out it’s the other side that’s gone! Plus sometimes, they don’t have any play in them and they still toast. I found this out as well. I use to be hard on the truck and went through 4 front wheel bearings (2 each side). Each time a different symptom. Go figure!

OP
OP
Hawaii_Built

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Thanks for the responses. What Lyle describes sounds like what my axles are doing - little up and down and in and out movement.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

Sway bar end links are usually a first check on front end noise hitting bumps.