Crude Test for the Will X Rim/Spacer/Tire Fit Stock or with X minimal Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So after having struck out for several weeks of looking for a definitive answer on fitment I came up with a very simplistic approach for my query that I thought might be beneficial to others in the same situation.

First things first, If you copy this concept you do so at your own risk. I make no guarantees or implications whatsoever this is a documentation of my personal experiment and nothing more....

K back to it. So after having inquired with close to a dozen shops with everything under the sun for an answer I can't help but feel stumped on the information I'm seeking. My question being in simple terms, I want a wider stance without a lift, what is the max I can do on my truck? I see many examples on the web of photos but how do I know what will fit on my truck, what is the max for my stock, what is the max with only a lvl kit and what is the max with a 3in lift for example. That paired with the possibility of my stance being increase by a spacer, a larger offset or a combination thereof.

After having challenging a shop that was overly cocky about would they check what fits before ordering, explicitly by measurement request I was told that they have some 70k installs under there belt blah blah blah and proceeds to asks his buddy right next to him which results in not only a different suggestion but 2 sizes different than what he recommended. Talk about frustrating. All I can figure is that most would either out of liablity or ignorance would just assume play it safe and give you more clearance rather than a tight fit that I am after all the while trying to upsell me on more elaborate suspension to ensure things will fit - bull****!

Okay so enough of my soapbox and onto the reason for the thread...

First a few third party websites I found useful in getting me part the way there to my answer, each do mostly the same thing so pick your flavor.

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

So After having hunted around I was able to determine my current stock Alloys (clad errr) are a +19 offset for the 2015 20inchers. (sorry don't have the source(s) to link but I've seen it stated several times over now on these forums.

So armed with that information I was able to plug in the websites linked above with a my desired new rim/tire combo and/or if I wanted to use a spacer just convert its thickness to MM and subtract it from the offset number.

Now that I established some various setups I might like it was time to see how they compared to my truck.

So in looking at my truck I have alot of clearance at the top of the wheelwell vs the front and rear even when considering bottomed out suspension conditions. So I checked realtive to my worse case postion for clearance which for the particular tire and setup I was looking at was on the outside face of the wheel at the rear of the front tire where my fender flares are closest. My inner wheel face and tire was minimal if any change depending on which setup I looked at so I wasn't overly concerned about my suspension clearance even in a compressed and/or turned axle state. So I proceeded with the crude test as the subject implies...

I taped using duct tape (that stuff will stick to just about anything) I taped sheets of construction paper to the tread of my existing tires. Had I had a desire to increase my tire radius I would have used shims/blocks to build it up but I like my 33's so I taped it directly to the tread and allowed the paper to project. I then proceeded to incrementally turn my steering and check clearances. I did this with various paper projections to simulate the wider stance and potential wheel rub. Next I repeated the same series of exercises with my floor jack positioned under the front of my truck lifting it slightly to simulate a minimal front 1.5" level kit and then a 2.5". Had I wanted to explore a lift I would have needed to bust out my jack stands.

As I said I know this is a crude example and its not a extremely accurate representation of what a final installed set of components will yield but I have alot more faith in it than the guy pulling information from the seat of his pants and wanting to sell me a 6" lift kit + lvl just to fit a new set of 20x9 0 offset wheel with a set of 275/60R20's on them I laughed at that one...

Here's some pics of my little experiment.

Me setting up my construction paper. An extra set of hands would have been helpful :) I used a straightedge to set my construction paper. This one is set 1.75inches proud of the existing stock 275/60 tires.
1%20setup_zpsyztyxvrh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Simulated unlifted stock with turned wheel at tightest position having a 1.75in wider stance (there is about a half inch of clearance behind/between my fender flare and the const papers leading edge)
2%20turned_zpsvx72j5om.jpg"]2%20turned_zpsvx72j5om.jpg[/URL]

Established stock height without any lift at front of truck. Tape reads exposed 10.5inches outside housing.
3b%20stock%20height%20closeup_zpsjenmc291.jpg

One more context photo pre lift
4%20pre%20lift_zpsmjlf1xu7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lifted the front of the truck up 1.5inches, the tape reads 12inches (sorry for quality of pic) This opened up the clearance between tire and fender to about 1" clear. The extra clearance is due to extended shock/spring which I suspect is not a true representation of what a lvl kit would due given it would not be taking the weight off the spring/shock but rather extending its length. I'm not sure just how much the delta is between the two.
5a%201.5%20lvl%20lift_zpssubmsbq9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And one more this lifted the front of the truck up 2.5inches, tape reads 13 inches. The clearance stayed about the same 1in between paper and fender flare trim despite the angle of the photos appearance.
6%202.5in%20lift_zpshfunoepi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hope you enjoyed my thread. Feel free to leave comments :) I'm sure there's some real experts on here rather than the jokers I've been having to deal with that will shed light on the pitfalls of my experiment and I hope they/you do :)