CV Axles Bad? Wobble but Good Boot?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Once again calling on the massive brain trust that is the illustrious Ram Forum Members!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with 160k.

This coming weekend I'm doing a pretty comprehensive front end job on the truck (Wheel bearings, Upper and Lower Ball Joints, Brakes, Tie Rod Ends, and an Alignment). While I was under the truck the other day, prepping for this rather stout undertaking, I checked the CV Axles and there is some wobble where the axle meets the transfer case. However, I'm not seeing any worn boots, flung grease, or hearing any CV type clicking. I bought the truck used, so I'm not sure if/when any suspension work was done.

Question: Replace the CV Axles now, or no?

From a labor standpoint, Ill have almost all the parts off that I need to remove to replace the CV's with all the other things Ill be doing. So that makes sense. However, if this is a bigger issue (inner axle stubs being bad), I don't have the time or money to add that job to the list this go around, and I don't want to throw parts at something if it 1. isn't a problem, or 2. isn't the main problem, and the parts will wear out exponentially faster.

I should note, that I do'nt have the truck in 4 wheel drive too often. I'm in Phoenix and only need the qu4tro goodness when taking it off the beaten path. Also, if it wasnt clear, Ill be doing the work myself, not taking it to a shop. Cash it pretty tight at the moment!

Any thoughts and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CVs aren't terrible to get to later on, but you'll have everything apart. My vote is new CV axles while you're doing it.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting rebuilt axels is probably the most cost effective. Not sure what you mean by wobble? In and out? Axial play, radial, or just plain rattles when you shake it?

OP
OP
Jwrigh12

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
About a mm of play in and out (along the centerline of the axle shaft) about a mm of "backlash" on the rotation of the axle, and .... actually, Ill try and take a video of it tomorrow and post it. Not sure how to describe it, and video would give a better description of what I have goin on...