Cybertruck vs RAM 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So why is their semi-truck so much better? Tough to get past the marketers and agendists to facts. From what I've read (retired engineer and scientist), the thin film, dry cell battery will provide the solution IF: it can be manufactured and charged cost effectively, and grid infrastructure is finally built. My sons are working on this mfg. technology now.

My limited knowledge from researching this all is that the use is controlled to be consistent. Transport is from Point A to Point B to Point C, etc. at scheduled times and this can build in necessary charging times that don't result in unscheduled down time. Really, Pepsi has already established a process to minimize fuel usage, downtime of tractors, and just generally using all resources as efficiently as possible. They have plugged in ( no pun intended) the Teslas where they believe instant benefit could be achieved with minimal disruption. And they have learned both where things can be better and where use exceeded expectations such as the energy neutral occurrence when rolling down Donner Pass (yes, we know up uses a lot energy, they planned for that).

This is one of many presentations about how Pepsi has incorporated the trucks. Trial and error, sometimes the best way to move forward in life.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This thread is a collection of users who would never ever ever buy an EV who are debating on the merits of EVs. It's pointless from the get-go.
Funny thought!

But I will say that I am intrigued by the Ramcharger. Will watch it as time progresses. My son already gets frustrated if I get a scratch on "his" truck and isn't even in highschool yet. So I am going to need something when he borrows the keys to my 2500 and never gives them back.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This thread is a collection of users who would never ever ever buy an EV who are debating on the merits of EVs. It's pointless from the get-go.

I would definitely buy an EV if the price came down and all I needed was a simple commuter car to get back and forth to work.

The thread is EV vs Ram 2500. Safe to say that when your requirements suggest a 2500, an EV isn't going to cut it anytime soon, that's not because we're closed minded or hate progress, it's because we're a long way from solving the range, cost, and infrastructure issues that currently plague EV's.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm one of the users that will never ever ever buy an EV but the debate isn't pointless. The caveat is that the users like me don't care if others buy an EV but don't force us to.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Ditto on the no ev for me. If it works for you good but the technology isn’t there yet for it to work all over North America. Power grid issues are so far down the road that they have even realistically started to address it yet. And It probably won’t be until it’s a problem that’s how our government works

Native Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
One can hope they start using hydrogen to power the Cummins.

In hvacr, I use pressurized, liquified gasses all the time. I don't want to put anything in my car like hydrogen, propane, natural gas that becomes a blowtorch that can't be put out. Just like the batteries that can burn for days when a fire is started. Gasoline/diesel is vastly safer for all of us.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I used to have a square body Chevy that ran on propane it was way cheaper back then. The only problem was when it was super cold the vaporizer would freeze up or the propane would freeze. Ammonia engines are being tested. So Evs are only one solution and maybe not the best solution for everyone one. Technology marchs on

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I used to have a square body Chevy that ran on propane it was way cheaper back then. The only problem was when it was super cold the vaporizer would freeze up or the propane would freeze. Ammonia engines are being tested. So Evs are only one solution and maybe not the best solution for everyone one. Technology marchs on
Propane doesn't freeze at any temps we see on the planet,but at roughly -40C/-40F it quits boiling, it just stays as a liquid,and consequently doesn't have or create any pressure to flow through a line. Grew up with propane tractors in Sask,and at temps below -30 we were warming up the main tanks on the tractors ,and then once the tractor was warm and running,there was usually enough engine heat to keep the main tank that sat just behind the engine warm enough you could plow snow,the saddle tanks no way though,lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Ammonia engines are being tested.

Ammonia is 100% a dead end for the western market. It *may* work in a tightly regulated and inspected dense urban environment with lots of electricity generation and very little mineral wealth (aka, urban Japan and China), but it'll never work here. It's absolutely terrible for human health. A detuned diesel is like baby's breath compared to improperly combusted ammonia. It takes a very significant amount of energy to create that is not recovered. If people complain about the energy density of ethanol, they'll roll on the floor crying when they see the level of ammonia. Roughly 1/2 that of gas. Add in how corrosive it is, and how difficult maintaining an infrastructure that's wide spread across a place the size of North America...hard pass. Easily the worst choice of all the options currently being developed.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Ok it doesn’t freeze but it doesn’t work worth a s&@“ when it is really cold used to drive a dump truck that was on propane and it would (freeze ) it was apita

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok it doesn’t freeze but it doesn’t work worth a s&@“ when it is really cold used to drive a dump truck that was on propane and it would (freeze ) it was apita
I was up at Wandering River as a kid,and when the temps went below -45,the propane quit flowing,and all the camp heaters went down.I jumped in a truck and roared down the road and scrounged a bunch of old style square bales off a local farm,came back and threw them around the tank and set fire to them,the party chief damn near had a heart attack,claiming i was gonna blow us all to the moon,and was threatening to fire me,i walked up to him,and told him the last thing i'm gonna do before i freeze to death,is choke you to death,and then i told him to go fluck himself,about 15 minutes later we had heat back in the camp,and he never bothered me again that winter,lol. I didn't give 2 $h!ts if he did fire me,but i sure as hell wasn't gonna be cold if he did fire me,lol

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
We have to look at all the options. Technology is the only way to solve the issues not taxing people to death like our raggedy a$$ed government. In the meantime there will be baby steps on the way. There never used to be a thing that you could post your opinions on and people could see it but there is now for better or worse.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I was at albian sands when they were building it-42 with a20 kms wind. The fuel hose froze c@&ck stiff my swamped says what are we going to do. I said go get the tiger torch. I heated it up and away we went. When I was telling the boss about it the safety guy freaked out and said you could have caused a n explosion. I said you can’t get diesel to burn on a hot day do you seriously think it would cause an explosion at -40 we was a moron

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Albiansands is north of fort max Murray Alberta. It gets freezing a$$ cold for weeks at a time. And I mean-40c witch is about the same in Fahrenheit

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm one of the users that will never ever ever buy an EV but the debate isn't pointless. The caveat is that the users like me don't care if others buy an EV but don't force us to.
Yes, if an idea is so vastly superior people will naturally move towards it. When there have to be financial incentives (that we the public pay for) and laws to force acceptance, well that product isn't ready for prime time. In my opinion EVs are too expensive and tied into technology more than any should be. My vehicles always have controls I can use with my work gloves. I don't want buttons or screens and I fear that will become harder to obtain. And to repeat a comment I made a ways back. No manufacturer ever better try to sell me a car where I already pay for the hardware and then they try to make me pay to turn on the software to run the option. Personally, I believe anyone who pays extra to use something they already bought deserves to be separated from a lot more of their money.

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
C'mon guys, be fair to our Florida friends. I've seen it get down to a bone-chilling 40 degrees in the Tampa area. And there are rumors it's even reached the freezing point. I don't know how they survive through those temps.
Frostproof Fl has actually experienced frost! The folks I know there don't even wear jackets until they travel to northern Florida in winter.

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I continue to read up on EVs, mostly to keep aware. It is interesting that part of the effort is to make them just like ICE vehicles. Case in point, one option I am reading about is adding power and a drive system to travel trailers so the EVs can get the range back up to a usable level. It just seems that more potential for problems and higher costs appear every time someone suggests a new solution to the difference between the two vehicles.
Me thinks they are on to something here, an RV that can self propel. No longer have to worry about poor EV towing range. HEy, maybe even make the RV so powerful it can tow the EV! Problem solved! Oh wait, those are called MOTORHOMES.