Daily Driver Cummins Guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How are you guys doing daily driving your Cummins? Do you guys go for long hauls? Short trips? Noticed any weird things with constant short trips? How's the monthly gas charges compared to the amount you guys drive. Just trying to find out what it's like daily driving a Cummins.

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
whats it like daily driving a cummins? its freaking awesome!

I drive mine to and from school, about 5 miles one way. and to and from work which is about 15 miles one way.

I average around 100 miles a week and the truck runs great.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Girlfriends daily drives hers
It doesnt do many short trips unless we're at school.
Home we're 20 miles from her work and 20 miles from everything else
At school it can be a PITA with a quad cab long bed, luckily Penn State is to much of an actual city.
No problems, she usually gets 2 trips to school and back home (110 miles each way) plus random driving around school so over 500 miles a tank

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I drive mine very little do to the work truck. Mostly short short trips besides every other weekend I go for a 220 mile drive round trip. Every once and a while I get to drive back home almost 500 miles. I have not seen any issues with this driving style.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
In the summer majority of my trips are short, but once school starts up I put about 50 miles on her M-F. Lately I've been having to do a lot of in town driving which isn't too easy on the diesel MPG's (no issues though). If you're looking into getting one and only do short drives, expect to pay... I will say it is worth it ;)

I'm getting a Nissan sentra here next week for my DD lol... In town driving wastes diesel like a ****.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
I DD my duramax and i get great mileage but i do a lot of medium trips, i got my new job that is a 50 mile round trip instead of a 108 mile round trip. I am looking at getting a chevy cruze for a DD.

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm definitely a short trip driver, 10 miles one way to school, 5 miles to work, 3 miles to the gym, not even a mile to the gfs house. 150 miles a week max. Diesel fuel cost wouldn't be a problem, i just don't want to burn out the motor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you don't EVER take it out letting it get to operating temps, I'm sure you'll screw something in the block or fuel system up eventually. You're gonna have to take it for some long drives here and there, or hook it up to a trailer... In a diesel power mag a few months ago there was an article on getting the most life out of a diesel engine and a huge part of it was using the truck like a truck. You gotta let the cummins stretch her legs lol.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I used my CTD as a DD ... no problems .. Just every now and then go for a long ride and hold them EGT's over 1k .. burn off that unwanted carbon off them injectors witch tends to occur more on short trips .

Carbon burns at 1k ...

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would constitute a "long drive?" I plan on buying a season pass to a theme park a little over 50 miles away. I also plan to go at least twice a month. Would that be enough to push the truck a bit and burn out all that crap?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
A long stretch of road or a load where you can hold a consistent 1k or more on your EGT temps.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What would constitute a "long drive?" I plan on buying a season pass to a theme park a little over 50 miles away. I also plan to go at least twice a month. Would that be enough to push the truck a bit and burn out all that crap?

That should suffice... Plus, the HWY MPG's are so entertaining it'll make you wanna do it more lol

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've about 2,500 miles on my truck with no problems. I did find she gets me better MPG the more I drive her.

My daily commute is 10 miles to work one way with 2 stop signs, average speed is 50 mph for half the drive and 40 mph for the other half.

I get her out to stretch her legs on the Interstate every chance I get and run her loaded every chance I get.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've about 2,500 miles on my truck with no problems. I did find she gets me better MPG the more I drive her.

My daily commute is 10 miles to work one way with 2 stop signs, average speed is 50 mph for half the drive and 40 mph for the other half.

I get her out to stretch her legs on the Interstate every chance I get and run her loaded every chance I get.

Thats it?!

Btw my girlfriend's truck has 164,000 miles of being a DD without many problems out of the normal maintenance
Her dad DDs an 09 Cummins with 104,000 that even has the stock front end underneath it

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha! She's only a little under 4 months old and shares most of the driving with her sister

1-blackberry-pearl-picture3739-blackberry-pearl-05.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ha ha! She's only a little under 4 months old and shares most of the driving with her sister

1-blackberry-pearl-picture3739-blackberry-pearl-05.jpg

Lol your commute sounds like my dads, he's had his '11 1500 big horn for a year and 7 months and hasnt hit 12k yet (couldn't tell you exact)
He probably doesn't drive his challenger as much as you drive yours though

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha!

I try to drive the Challenger as much as possible during the warm weather - I'll be putting the miles on the truck come time the snow flies.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Its like having sex....every day. I'll leave it at that.

X2 Haha

I drive mine almost 1500 miles a month... 30 miles one way to school is my longest drive generally. The rest is all across town small runs here and there for the most part.

I bought my truck last February with around 60k on the clock. The odometer now reads just under 103,000 miles

I rarely get mine out for a "long" drive. Anymore it seems whenever I can afford the trip over to Braydon's is about it haha. It very rarely actually gets put to work either, but occasionally I will put her to use. But I do ALWAYS drive it hard like I stole it

Last edited:

tractordoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How are you guys doing daily driving your Cummins? Do you guys go for long hauls? Short trips? Noticed any weird things with constant short trips? How's the monthly gas charges compared to the amount you guys drive. Just trying to find out what it's like daily driving a Cummins.

How about us diesel truck loving gals? I have about a 40 mile one way trip to work every day, mostly highway miles. Let me just say I love driving the truck and it puts a smile on my face. For highway mileage I am right around 20mpg empty, using cruise control, no engine brake (although it's fun to turn it on from time to time) and moving steadily. Around town the mileage is horrible maybe 12 mpg. From what I can tell the more stop and go driving, the worse the gas mileage. A nice long country road without stop signs and signals and the mileage goes back up again.

The truck is running me around $115 for a fill. I don't know what the range is when full, but I know it's a lot more than what I had before the ram, which isn't saying much because I drove Hummers before the Ram and they weren't exactly fuel friendly lol. Before the ram I drove a 2010 Hummer H3T and that would suck down a tank of gas at around $90 in a week. The Ram 3500 seems to go a week and a half for $115, so in my mind it's cheaper to drive but the fuel costs more at fill up time.

To be honest, I really love the Cummins and I really like it the more I drive it. It has mountains of instant power whenever I need it. I've gotten a ton of compliments on the truck. The longhorn interior is awesome, the electronics are great, and the sound of the diesel is intoxicating lol.