Dealer prices (and tactics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my RAM is just about to tick over the 30k mark (after 13 mos, ugh) and it was due for an oil change. I called my local dealer and scheduled my appointment.

I was advised that the 30k service included the standard oil change AND swap of all 16 spark plugs. I asked how much it costs, since I'm certainly able to swap plugs on my own and I was told my service advisor would discuss that in detail. So I dropped the truck off at 7:30am this morning...

I got a call at 4:30pm (yep, you read that correctly) that my truck is ready. I go in to pick it up and was told my service advisor had left, but I just needed to go pay... They handed me a bill for $540, including $356 for labor and $158 for the 16 spark plugs.

When I demanded to speak to someone, a different advisor came over and said "Welp, that what it costs... you should have discussed it with your service advisor." I told him that I specifically asked about this first and wasn't given a price... He said I should try to call back tomorrow.

I really feel like I've been robbed. I'm curious if others on the forum have been gouged like this... or if I just got ripped off.

Even if I did, I'm pissed that I couldn't get a price until everything was done... seems pretty dishonest to me.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that sucks. That's why people call them stealerships

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I thought 2013s and up only needed spark plugs at 100k..or is that for the 14s?

Either way I'd call and dispute it..go in and look at their price boards. They normally have fixed prices listed for these things. I had my spark plugs changed by a dealer a couple of months ago..$269 for parts and labour, plus tax. what you paid is insane..even with an oil change, it's like $50 taxes in for the hemi at the dealer.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I thought 2013s and up only needed spark plugs at 100k..or is that for the 14s?

Either way I'd call and dispute it..go in and look at their price boards. They normally have fixed prices listed for these things. I had my spark plugs changed by a dealer a couple of months ago..$269 for parts and labour, plus tax. what you paid is insane..even with an oil change, it's like $50 taxes in for the hemi at the dealer.

Nope, 2014 and newer got the better plugs.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
They should have given you a quote when you scheduled the appt or dropped it off. This is a standard thing.......not a "diagnose" then fix problem...

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
I work in a dealership service department and this would not have happened here. Before any work is performed you sign the dotted line with an estimate provided. If he didn't get your approval with a signature or initials, that's their problem now. Fight it to the end.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I work in a dealership service department and this would not have happened here. Before any work is performed you sign the dotted line with an estimate provided. If he didn't get your approval with a signature or initials, that's their problem now. Fight it to the end.

This exactly. Unless they snuck in an estimate for the plugs on the same repair order and you signed for it.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thats right around what I paid for mine to be swapped out. My father has been in the service department for 30+yrs and without having him in Charlotte sucks!!! I feel your pain, its never fun paying their prices but living in an apartment with no tools handy I had no choice. I had plugs, 4WD service including diffs and transfer case, trans flush and oil change for almost $900!!! Ill be figuring something out when it comes time again, I cant live with myself paying that much

colding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tell them to take the new plugs out and replace with your old ones since you did not authorize the work,

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would be fine paying the bill as I would never even attempt the work

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Plugs are about $50 from Rock Auto. Just ordered 16 yesterday. You will always pay an inflated price at the dealership. If you did not pre-approve the work I'd fight them till they take it off your invoice and refund some if not all your money. They are in the business to sell things--some are more honest about it than others---you have just found out how honest your service dept is--Sorry
Jay

Undecided

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know here in Ontario, unless you gave them permission to do the work with a SIGNED estimate you can tell them to **** and drive away with your new free plugs. One of the shops i used to work at learned this the hard way with almost 1000 in repairs...

kcdt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As everyone else has said...tell them to shove it. Unless they have a signed document saying you authorized the work, they CANNOT charge you for the work. You just got yourself some free spark plugs my friend.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know here in Ontario, unless you gave them permission to do the work with a SIGNED estimate you can tell them to **** and drive away with your new free plugs. One of the shops i used to work at learned this the hard way with almost 1000 in repairs...

yep same thing happened to me with my car. took it in for an oil change and tire rotation and they took the liberty of flushing all the fluids then expected me to pay $750. to top it off they even tried to keep the car unless i paid but the work order i signed only mentioned the oil and tire rotation so police quickly sorted that out then it took 2 weeks but i sorted out the bill with the manager too

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still under factory bumper to bumper warranty why you paying for it anyways

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Wear items aren't covered under warranty.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like this is what Maryland's laws are:

Under state law, you're entitled to a written estimate for all repairs costing more than $50 and you can't be charged more than 10% over the written estimate without your consent. If the mechanic finds that the repair will cost more than 10% than the estimate, or that additional repairs are needed, the shop must contact you to get your authorization.

You also can't be charged for repairs you didn't authorize. Before signing a repair order, read it carefully. Ask for clarification of any item you don't understand.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We own a bodyshop and if we do not have an authorization signature,legally the customer is bound to pay for services rendered