Dealership Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve been having some issues with my local dealer. Maybe those of you who have been down this road or a similar one cane share some input. I have never had any experiences like this before. It started out with me having some issues with my truck (2012 1500 w/ 33k on it), the main one being a nasty clunking in the steering when turning and especially bad when going over bumps. It started off faint, but got progressively worse to the point that it felt like the steering wheel was going to fall off. The clunking could also be felt by holding the steering shaft while somebody jiggled the steering wheel. The other issue was the seats. Both front seats would creak whenever you hit a bump, or taking a hard turn and you weight shifted. It’s hard to explain, but was easily felt by simply pushing down on the seat, almost like you could feel the springs moving. I made an appointment at the end of June. I should start by noting that I bought my truck from an out of state dealer. My local dealer is close by and they are open until midnight so it seemed convenient for my work schedule. When making the appointment I asked for a loaner car. I was told that I could only get one if I had bought my truck from them. I explained that it wasn’t a service visit but warranty work and I was told that it didn’t matter. Went ahead with the appointment and told them that I was going to wait for the truck while they looked at it.

The appointment was for July 8th in the evening. I brought the truck in, explained the issues and 3 hours later the service adviser told me I needed a new steering rack and new seat frames. He also informed me that the parts would take 3-5 days to show up and I should get a call when they arrive ( I could drive the truck in the mean time). At that point they would set me up with another appointment to get the parts installed (he made it seem like they would get me right in) and that they would need the truck for 2 days to install everything. Once again I asked if I would be able to get a loaner car for those 2 days and was told that the owners of the dealership are adamant about not giving loaner cars to people who didn’t buy cars from them (pretty ridiculous if you ask me when it comes to warranty work). Fast forward a week later, still no call from the parts department so I decided to call them up. They tell me the parts have been sitting there. Great. So I try to make an appointment, best they can do is 2 weeks away. Tried to get in touch with my service adviser to see what he can do but he doesn’t return my calls. Would have been nice if somebody had told me that I was going to have to wait so long, I would have made my appointment earlier. Instead I had to wait 3 weeks, but I’m a patient person.

My appointment was for July 30th 8am. I dropped the truck off the night before. Once again, went over with the service adviser what was to be done, and also mentioned that I had been hearing a whining noise in the rear that I forgot to tell him about when I was last there. I told him it sounded like the pinion bearing was going, and is only heard at about 25-35mph when you’re off the throttle (anybody that’s heard a failing pinion bearing knows it’s a pretty distinct sound). He told me that if they find an issue with the rear that it could take longer to get the truck back. I understood that. He also told me that he was going on vacation that Friday, but he was going to call me on Thursday and let me know what they find and who will be handling my truck for the next few days. Thursday came and went, no phone call. I called on Friday to look for an update. Took a few phone calls since everybody seemed pretty clueless as to who was handling my truck but I came to the conclusion that my truck had not been touched yet. I tried to get some more information on Monday, but once again nobody knew anything or returned any phone calls. I decided to take time out of work to go the dealership Tuesday morning to try and get some answers. I spoke with the service manager and his answer was basically that they are busy and I should understand that. I stressed the fact that this is getting ridiculous and that I don’t have a car. He promised me that he was going to have an update later in the day. He did, but not anything good. The new steering rack was defective and they needed to order a new one. They also found the noise in the rear to be the rear wheel bearings (seemed odd to me since it sounded nothing like a bad wheel bearing, but I wasn’t about to argue that). He tells me the parts should take about 2-3 days and maybe another day or so to install. I was pissed that they had wasted 5 days of my time, but at least I had an update at this point.

His 2-3 day estimate was way off, the parts didn’t arrive until Friday August 14th in the afternoon, or at least that’s what I was told. Got a phone call Tuesday August 18th and the truck was all done, so they said. I was annoyed that the whole process had taken so long but relieved the get my truck back. I picked it up and drove it around the next day. The new steering rack felt much better but there was still a slight clunk in the steering shaft, the noise in the rear was still there, the seats didn’t creak as much as they used to, but still creaked, the alignment was totally off and the truck was pulling to the left on the highway, power steering fluid all over my engine bay, and to top it all off, a nice scratch in my driver’s side interior door panel and on the passenger side dashboard. Pretty annoyed at this point. But before I went back to the dealership I decided to make sure that I wasn’t being petty about some of the issues the truck was having. I asked a buddy who has a 2013 with about 20k on it if I could drive his truck to see if his does the same things as mine. I wanted to make sure the truck I was comparing mine to was used, since it wouldn’t be a fair comparison to a new one. His steering had no clunking, his seats didn’t creak and no noise from the rear.

Drove my truck back to the dealer and explained to the service manager that my truck still wasn’t fixed. His answer was “well we replaced your steering rack, I’m not sure what else you want.” Pretty appalled by this. I tried explaining what I was feeling in the steering. He proceeds to tell me that my truck isn’t new anymore and what I’m feeling is normal. I explained to him that I drove another used truck and that one doesn’t have any of the issues. He doesn’t believe me and sets out though the service center trying to find another ram to prove me wrong. He finds a third gen and begins lowering it off the lift, all the while I’m telling him that’s the wrong year truck. He opens the door of the truck into the lift (damaging another persons truck), then slams the door shut and keeps walking though the shop trying to find another truck to prove me wrong. He doesn’t. I tell him I can show him exactly what I’m feeling, so he calls over the head mechanic. At this point I showed him the damaged interior panels. He acknowledges them, but doesn’t say anything else. As I’m trying to show the mechanic the issue with the steering shaft, he walks away. The mechanic agrees that he feels something as well and says that it could possibly be a bad u-joint in the steering shaft. I go back inside to tell the service manager what the mechanic had found, again he is annoyed and wants nothing to do with me and tells me to have the service adviser write it up. I told the service adviser that I was going on vacation for 2 weeks that Friday and would like to have the truck ready when I got back.

Fast Forward to September 8th, back from vacation, no messages received on my truck. I’ve been trying to get a hold of the service adviser, but he’s not returning my calls.

I’m beyond fed up at this point. I’ve been trying to get my truck fixed for two months now and this is absurd. My truck is my only form of transportation and I’ve been borrowing car’s to get to work. I’m completely disgusted with the way I was treated by the service manager (and the fact that I saw him damage somebody’s car with zero regard). I also cannot believe that there is almost no communication from these people and I cannot get any answers from anybody on this. I probably shouldn’t have left my truck there before I went on vacation, but I was already too busy with other things to try and find another dealership to go to, or to contact Chrysler and was hoping that they would make things right and have the truck done. I guess I was wrong. I think at this point I should reach out to Chrysler about this. If anybody has any contact info as to who I can forward this to I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Who is the dealer?

Call the GM & owner and tell them what has happened. If that fails contact the better business bureau and report the dealer. I wouldn't put up with it if I were you.

I was told the same thing about the loner car from my service dealer though. I bought out of town because when I took my quote to them they were $3000 more and told me I couldn't buy the truck at the quoted price. Only reason I still go to that dealer is that the service department is amazing.

Hope you get this resolved.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know it's a pain, but have you tried contacting your orginal dealer. Maybe you can get someone that's sympathetic to your issues, will have no problem giving you a loaner, and will do the due diligence to get your truck back to good.

OP
OP
D

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i added some breaks to make it easier to read. i wrote it last night and didnt think about the fact that it was one big paragraph. probably too annoyed at the whole situation.

Who is the dealer?

Call the GM & owner and tell them what has happened. If that fails contact the better business bureau and report the dealer. I wouldn't put up with it if I were you.

I was told the same thing about the loner car from my service dealer though. I bought out of town because when I took my quote to them they were $3000 more and told me I couldn't buy the truck at the quoted price. Only reason I still go to that dealer is that the service department is amazing.

Hope you get this resolved.

I've actually been trying to email RAM this morning through their website and for whatever reason its just loading and doesn't go through. I've copied what I wrote to RAM and was going to forward that to the owner. I'm not putting up with it anymore. Truthfully, I think I'm just going to show up and take my truck out of there and ask RAM which dealer I should go to next.

Regarding loaner cars, yes I have been told by other dealers in the past that they only give loaners to people who bought the cars from them, but that is only for service visits. When it came down to warranty work, I was always given a loaner car. This is a first for me.

I know it's a pain, but have you tried contacting your orginal dealer. Maybe you can get someone that's sympathetic to your issues, will have no problem giving you a loaner, and will do the due diligence to get your truck back to good.

thats not possible in my situation, or i would have gone that route already. bottom line, this is supposed to be a 5 star dealer im dealing with. This shouldnt be happening.

Last edited:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Call Chrysler and don't worry about being nice to the ****** dealer. There just screwing you around. Tell that dealer that your going to sit in front of his lot with this POS truck with a sign that says ask me about the service here. Do it on Saturday , they have had plenty of time to have treated you right.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i added some breaks to make it easier to read. i wrote it last night and didnt think about the fact that i was one big paragraph. probably too annoyed at the whole situation.

I've actually been trying to email RAM this morning through their website and for whatever reason its just loading and doesn't go through. I've copied what I wrote to RAM and was going to forward that to the owner. I'm not putting up with it anymore. Truthfully, I think I'm just going to show up and take my truck out of there and ask RAM which dealer I should go to next.

Regarding loaner cars, yes I have been told by other dealers in the past that they only give loaners to people who bought the cars from them, but that is only for service visits. When it came down to warranty work, I was always given a loaner car. This is a first for me.

thats not possible in my situation, or i would have gone that route already. bottom line, this is supposed to be a 5 star dealer im dealing with. This shouldnt be happening.

Emailing will be too slow and get you nowhere. However if you call, they will put you on hold and cal the dealer, who will proceed to lie through their teeth telling corporate it is all your fault and Ram will end up telling you to go back to the dealer for further diagnosis and you will be in a loop. You still should call though just to document everything.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damm dude....this is a ****** situation to be in.

Dealership interaction is hit or miss. Locations vary.

For instance, when I had my Lexus....these dudes would come and pick my car up from my house, leave me with a loaner(free) and bring my car back to my house with a full tank of gas and washed/vacuumed....all this for a normal oil change! And sometimes, just sometimes, they'd give me the oil change for free!! I couldn't make this **** up.

Experience is/was definetley not on that level at the dodge/jeep dealership.

I've always had awesome service and luckily Nvr had the experience of goin through something like this. Good luck brother.

OP
OP
D

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Emailing will be too slow and get you nowhere. However if you call, they will put you on hold and cal the dealer, who will proceed to lie through their teeth telling corporate it is all your fault and Ram will end up telling you to go back to the dealer for further diagnosis and you will be in a loop. You still should call though just to document everything.

email wasnt going through for whatever so i tried the live chat option, and copied everything i had in the email. the rep did exactly what you said and called the dealer to investigate. he told me the the service department didnt answer so he left a message and is waiting for a call back. i told him ive been waiting for a call back for days now. i couldnt help but laugh at that. at least now i have a case open with chrysler so we'll see how this plays out.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
wow...for one, id go onto their site, Google reviews, FB, whatever and let it out your issues, then go find another dealer...any dealer. How you were treated I would never, ever go back for anything, and make sure I tell EVERYONE I saw. The power of social media is strong.
We have a local dealer, 10 minute ride for me, I go to another town, 35 minutes away for even oil changes...they are good, listen to my needs, and do great work.

Good dealers are out there.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Seconded on calling Chrysler. Be detailed. Be polite. Don't sugar-coat anything about the dealer...I mean be polite to the person at Chrysler when you call them.

Note all the names and dates you have, and make sure they get those details right.

If you have paperwork, save it. Maybe offer to fax (or scan & e-mail) to Chrysler while you're on the phone with them. (Yes, the dealer will have their copy, but who says they didn't change it or round-file the original and replace with their own version.)

Also, document your entire phone conversation with Chrysler, and any further conversations with them and/or the dealer. If it's legal to record phone calls in your state, DO SO. That way, none of this "I didn't say that" crap will stand. (In Arizona, as long as one person on the call knows it's being recorded, it's legal. Dunno about where you are. IANAL. YMMV. XYZ PDQ.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the case manager is supposed to get back to me within a day so well see what happens. still no contact from the dealer. i have all the paperwork i was given, names, dates, etc. ive left the names of the service adviser and service manager out of this post for obvious reasons. i also had a witness with me the last time as i was at the dealer. i told the rep i didnt want my truck there any longer but he said to wait for the case manager and go from there.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yeah, you are bottom of their give a **** list. Full rate paying customers and customer who bought from them with warranty work are ahead of you in their minds. FCA basically pays them half rate for warranty work and they either break even or lose money working on your truck. Should not be like that, but is usually how it is.

As to a free rental, unless specified that FCA will reimburse the dealer, the dealership is on the hook for that cost and they are not gonna extend that courtesy if you did not buy from them.

I second the others saying to find another dealer if possible. That is one thing I have noticed is a common theme compared to other makers, FCA dealerships seem to make it a pain for warranty work to get done.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This sucks man, I am sorry.
I had an issue with my truck at about 650 miles with a intermitted trouble air bag code, I even snappied pictures of code and mileage.
each time I went to dealer they said there is no code, so I broke out my phone, and showed the pictures.
It took 3 times in shop to fix, after second time, I said to service manager, am I going to have to start a lemon law on this.
Filled out the the survey Ram sent me, was truthful on it, said problem was wasn't fixed yet, they were working on it, BUT gave the dealership a low score, within 24 hours of doing survey dealership called me about survey, I said well I am pissed, 650 miles on a new truck and you cant find problem, BUT I said to manager, if you noticed I did say you were trying.
well problem was finally fixed and now have 26,500 miles and trouble free.
Each time I go to dealership now, they treat me like gold, call me by name and ask if there is any concerns.
So some dealerships are great some aren't.
Hope it all works out.
Like others said file a report with BBB, park in front of dealership, on public road with sign.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man that sucks, definitely keep us updated.

Guess I won't complain about my dealer anymore

OP
OP
D

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, you are bottom of their give a **** list. Full rate paying customers and customer who bought from them with warranty work are ahead of you in their minds. FCA basically pays them half rate for warranty work and they either break even or lose money working on your truck. Should not be like that, but is usually how it is.

As to a free rental, unless specified that FCA will reimburse the dealer, the dealership is on the hook for that cost and they are not gonna extend that courtesy if you did not buy from them.

I second the others saying to find another dealer if possible. That is one thing I have noticed is a common theme compared to other makers, FCA dealerships seem to make it a pain for warranty work to get done.

at this point, the fact that i dont have a loaner car is the least of my concerns. i'm mentioning it so you guys (and chrysler) understand the full jist of my situation.

being put at the bottom of the **** list i hope is not a going trend for chrysler dealers. ive bought a few cars from out of state dealers and have never had any issues with service or warranty work. everything taken care of in a timely fashion. this is my first time dealing with Chrysler though. none of the past rams ive had still had a warranty. how chrysler handles this is going weigh heavily on my next truck purchase.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
which dealership.......im from long island too. would love to know what dealership this is

frankmm2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would take to social media and blast the dealer on any review site I could. I would have told the service manager that I wanted to speak to his boss. If his name is not on the front of the building then he has a boss. I had a similar experience with my local GMC dealer for the wife's SUV and I even bought the car from them. I ended up taking the car to another dealer and told them where I had been taking it and my issues and they got it fixed on the first visit where it took me 6 times at the other with no resolution.