Debating the switch to CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Hey guys, right now I am currently driving the 4.7L and absolutely hate the motor in it. Especially for pulling trailers. I am considering going to a CTD, would be later 2nd generation or early 3rd gen. Was just wondering what the mileage is you guys are getting, and if there are any big maintenence things that need to happen through out the trucks life. Or if there are any common problems? From what I have read I do not think there is as long as you keep up with regular maintenence. Just was wondering about these few things to make up my mind about the switch.

Thanks!!

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read through my thread man....lots of info cuz im switching to CTD in the next few weeks as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Drive down the road and I will show you why you should go CTD ..LOL

But really .. best truck for towing , MPG'S are great expect 20's highway and 17-18 in town . There are allot of mods you can do to better that number if you want .

As far as maint goes .. just throw 11 quarts of oil in her , a fresh fuel filter and get some gauges to watch the egts while towing .

Basically you cant go wrong with a Cummins , they are just built to take on dam near anything .

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Dodge Ram 2500 MPG Reports | Fuelly
I like using this site for comparing fuel mileages. More often then not people exaggerate there MPGs so it's hard to get a real answer
People on the fence about buying them generally don't need them. If you think you would be better off with them then go for it! They are alot of fun but just remember they aren't cheap so don't think you will be saving money because of fuel mileage

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Coming from a 4.7 myself, I can tell you, buy te cummins and don't look back! It's soooo much better in every aspect...power, MPG's, the sound...and most importantly, the coal rollin:naughty:

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
Once a owner moves out of a gasser into a diesel there are very few who go back.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
i will never go back! thats for sure! 20 mpg and amazing power. not very many drawbacks

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
x3 on the never going back. Mine doesn't break 20mpg.. but its a mega cab.. the fact its getting better than 5mpg I'm happy. :)

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
My first ram was a 95 dually- 12 valve auto 3:53 rear- 18.0 city/23.0 highway [unloaded]98-12 valve auto /4:10 rear-14.3-15.0 city- quad dually, i'll never go back to gas.

OP
OP
RompinRam

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Coming back to an old topic. May be going to look at a CTD this week. Just wanted to get your guys advice on what I should be looking for when checking it out. Engine noises, starting and such. Any advice would be awesome.

Tapatalk'in

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
How about some details on the truck
I can tell you a ton of things to look for on a 12v that don't apply to common rails

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Price is a little high for around here, idk about there
Its pretty rare to find anymore but they did have 53 blocks in 01 so you need to look for that
Front ends are a known problem, look for greaseable parts
Take it for a ride and put the tranny to work and feel for slipping, ask them for receipts or anything they have about the trans.
If they cant show you anything assume its stock
Have a mechanic check it over if your really interested

I'm sure dave and andy could really tell you the ins and outs of those 24v

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
I went from driving a v6 truck to a 5.9 gas. i should of made the switch to diesel, i regret it every day.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have NO "need" for a cummins but what I got now is my first ever and I wont go back to gas. Love this freakin truck! I would suggest an EGT gauge and a lift pump but thats really it. Im a fan of the 04.5-07 trucks(I have an 06). Things I would add would be a e-fan, cat delete, muffler delete, intake, intake horn, and tuner.