Dedicated 6.4 Hemi Exhaust Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Going true dual and getting rid of the Y pipe doesn't modify the cats. Won't cause a warranty issue. I did true dual on mine and everything from the Y pipe back was replaced and cats were not touched.

Any modification to the pipe directly touching the cats, which the y pipe is, COULD, read again, COULD void your power train warranty. People have documented that a few times and is dealer discretion. You may or may not have issues, I don't want to risk it.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Anyone have the MBRP setup?

I was wondering the same thing. I ordered a cat back kit yesterday, I'll have to wait to put it on my truck though since I don't get it until March. ;)

When I have it installed, I'll see about doing some before and after reports.

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just put a MF12909 on with the stock tail and res. Perfect for what I want. Free flow with little rumble and no drone. I pull a 30' toy hauler so I don't need NASCAR sound for hours. Painted the res. and tail flat black so its not such a beacon.
Photo file too large and Im not computer literate.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I got my MBRP kit, and the 4" pipe was more ridiculous than I had imagined, so I had to send it back. I ended up getting the Flowmaster American Thunder 3" cat-back kit. A couple hours, and the truck sounds WAY better.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Here are the pics you requested. Flowmaster Original 40 series.

This is what I had done today except I had them put in a duel in/duel out Flowmaster 50 HD. I have drone for days!!! I might need to have them pipe it all the way to the back bumper. I can't imagine it's the 50 that is making it so loud as I have had 50 series duals on my Dakota & it sounded great.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is what I had done today except I had them put in a duel in/duel out Flowmaster 50 HD. I have drone for days!!! I might need to have them pipe it all the way to the back bumper. I can't imagine it's the 50 that is making it so loud as I have had 50 series duals on my Dakota & it sounded great.

Mine doesn't drone. If anything I wish it was louder. What size pipe? Mines 2.5. Did they turn your down pipes down too much? Mine are angled down. Maybe it will change as it gets broken in.

Last edited:

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try putting it in manual shift. Start by just 6th gear. MDS won't engage and will be much quieter.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I used to be an Audio Engineer so I know many things can affect sound. He tied on just after the cats & went with 2 1/2" stainless. Turn downs appear to be very close to the same angle you have Will. In fact the only real difference is I used only one muffler & it is a 50 series which should be a little less aggressive than yours. On my old Dakota with a 4.7 I had both mufflers over the years that I had it. Really like the 50 because it had a great low end growl without being super loud.
I kind of got talked into the duel in/duel out cause it's supposed to act like an X pipe with the scavenging effect. I'll give it some more time but I may need to run it all the way to the back. I didn't want to go there cause the winter salt rots all that out twice as fast as the rest of the exhaust.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Simple way to fix drone, MT tires.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
QUOTE=1500ram12;1472394]Simple way to fix drone, MT tires.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

:laughing1: Yep! Or turn the radio up! :naughty:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
WOW! The drive in to work today was horrible! This set up sounds like it is straight pipes dumped before the axle. Open up the back slider & it doesn't sound that loud outside? Inside it has an incredible amount of drone. Like the pipes are directed up to the cab. My first car had 12" glass packs on it & it wasn't nearly this loud.
I will stop by sometime this week to the guy that installed them to see what he thinks will remedy this. Maybe just tail pipes will do the trick. Maybe as Will said he might have them angled too much to the ground & the tone is bouncing off the pavement back up into the cab.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Kind of like the Hillary Clinton email investigation the more I dig into it the weirder it gets. I swear it is loader in the cab than it is outside. Walking around the truck it sounds great idling. Get in the cab & it sounds like there is a microphone at the end of the exhaust & then pumped into the Alpine audio system! :crazy:

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wonder if it has anything to do with the crossover inside the muffler right before the exit. How far out do the pipes come after the muffler before the turn down? Wonder if it turns down too close to the muffler. My wife says during really cold weather that my exhaust will rattle stuff on the walls of the house for an instant when I start it. It's definitely not that way in the cab.

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wonder if it has anything to do with the crossover inside the muffler right before the exit. How far out do the pipes come after the muffler before the turn down? Wonder if it turns down too close to the muffler. My wife says during really cold weather that my exhaust will rattle stuff on the walls of the house for an instant when I start it. It's definitely not that way in the cab.

Looks almost identical to yours. I would say about 6" after the weld they turn down about 45 degrees. You can not only hear the drone you can feel it. Resonates against the body so much you can feel it in the seat.
I have a feeling the low end frequencies are bouncing back & forth between the pavement & the bottom of the truck.
As I said before I used to be an audio engineer & it's mind boggling how sound waves work. Maybe yours is only 5 degrees one way or the other & that's why yours doesn't do the same.
I think the easiest remedy would be just to run them all the way to the back, paint em' up real good & hope they last longer than 2 or 3 years. Heck with the way winters have been the last couple of years I won't need to worry about salt! :) I think running it out the end will keep it from pushing up through the floor board. There goes more $$$!:shakehead: Hope momma doesn't find out! :roflsquared:

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bet you are right on the frequency causing it. That HD 50 would have more low frequency than the Original 40. Interesting how the different muffler designs and sizes can change the sound waves.

BIGWHITE16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Magnaflow with resonator delete. Love it. If you're going to cry about unleashing your v8 monster then shut up and leave it stock. No drone, people hear me at 2000rpm and I get compliments all the time. So tired of people complaining.

Well said. LOL!

BIGWHITE16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Kind of like the Hillary Clinton email investigation the more I dig into it the weirder it gets. I swear it is loader in the cab than it is outside. Walking around the truck it sounds great idling. Get in the cab & it sounds like there is a microphone at the end of the exhaust & then pumped into the Alpine audio system! :crazy:

At 2000RPM yes, it's going to DRONE. No such thing as a 3" exhaust that's quiet. Dodge is notorious for loud exhaust. With the Magnaflow exhaust, RES delete you're gonna drone. But it's not all the time. Just at 2pm, and 2nd to 3rd

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
At 2000RPM yes, it's going to DRONE. No such thing as a 3" exhaust that's quiet. Dodge is notorious for loud exhaust. With the Magnaflow exhaust, RES delete you're gonna drone. But it's not all the time. Just at 2pm, and 2nd to 3rd

Actually, most of that is incorrect. :shakehead:
I believe that it is about 150Hz bouncing between the cab & the pavement creating a standing wave or antinode. It often happens between two parallel surfaces. But you probably already knew that with all of your vast knowledge of exhaust systems.:waytogo:
By the way, I am not complaining on how loud it is. In fact it has great tone & sounds awesome outside the truck. It is just resonating horribly in the cab. Hence why I would now like to run it all the way to the back of the truck & not change the muffler.
Move along Texas Troll! :happy107:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had the muffler shop run my exhaust on out the back of the truck & WOW what a big difference. Little to no drone now. Just a nice low end rumble sound in & out of the cab.
Not real happy with the quality work done by the shop that did the job though. Instead of welding one continuous pipe from the muffler to the bumper they welded in another pipe after the axle. If that is not bad enough they have way too many bends in the pipe which I am sure is not helping the flow any! Sure everything looks nice & level/even at the bumper but all of those extra welds & bends are going to make it rust twice as fast!
Won't be going back to them anytime soon!