Dedicated 6.4 Hemi Exhaust Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the muffler shop run my exhaust on out the back of the truck & WOW what a big difference. Little to no drone now. Just a nice low end rumble sound in & out of the cab.
Not real happy with the quality work done by the shop that did the job though. Instead of welding one continuous pipe from the muffler to the bumper they welded in another pipe after the axle. If that is not bad enough they have way too many bends in the pipe which I am sure is not helping the flow any! Sure everything looks nice & level/even at the bumper but all of those extra welds & bends are going to make it rust twice as fast!
Won't be going back to them anytime soon!

I'm lucky I found the shop that does mine back in '99. Looks like a hole in the wall but they do great work. They've done duals on 4 trucks and installed mufflers on 2 other work trucks for me and always great work. Was getting my inspection for license one time years ago and they asked me where I got my exhaust work done...I was thinking oh crap...but they wanted to know because it looked so good.

Did you install any tips?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the muffler shop run my exhaust on out the back of the truck & WOW what a big difference. Little to no drone now. Just a nice low end rumble sound in & out of the cab.
Not real happy with the quality work done by the shop that did the job though. Instead of welding one continuous pipe from the muffler to the bumper they welded in another pipe after the axle. If that is not bad enough they have way too many bends in the pipe which I am sure is not helping the flow any! Sure everything looks nice & level/even at the bumper but all of those extra welds & bends are going to make it rust twice as fast!
Won't be going back to them anytime soon!

Sadly I've found it's hard to find an exhaust shop that will do quality work these days. Most of them are hacks.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm lucky I found the shop that does mine back in '99. Looks like a hole in the wall but they do great work. They've done duals on 4 trucks and installed mufflers on 2 other work trucks for me and always great work. Was getting my inspection for license one time years ago and they asked me where I got my exhaust work done...I was thinking oh crap...but they wanted to know because it looked so good.

Did you install any tips?

Yeah I really struggled finding a shop that did that kind of work around my area (Dayton). I went to three different ones & these guys had the best reputation. They even have a Face Book account showing some of their work. Some hot rods, muscle cars, & truck. All showing really good work.
When I lived in Knoxville a couple of good ol boys did a couple Dakotas for me & did a great job. Same thing... hole in the wall with only 2 indoor bays & one outside.
Yes I had them weld on some Flowmaster stainless turn downs.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Love my 50HD with resonator still on...just the right amount of volume, sounds great at idle, not loud in the cab AT ALL.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I read this recently posted article and immediately thought of this thread. It is probably more information that one would want to know, but it does have a lot of good information to help someone make an informed buying decision.

Designing An Exhaust That Pumps Up The Power

To many times I see people with the "bigger is better" mentality adding larger diameter pipes to give them more power. While this will increase power at high rpms, it comes with a sacrifice of power at lower rpms which is where most trucks need more power when towing. Of course that goes out the window for turbocharged engines.

Last edited:

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes I used 3.5" offset in to 3.5" opposite offset out. And I got the 409 SS version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone hollowed or removed their cats with an exhaust set-up yet? I was just curious because on my '05 hemi, i hollowed them and the quality of the sound and throttle response was a night and day difference. I used exhaust foolers with cat honeycomb inside from 'www.bigdaddiesgarage.com', so i wouldnt get a check engine light. I only have just under 5,000miles on my '17 2500 6.4, so its a little tough to experiment with a brand new truck.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^ bump. Wondering if that makes any additional power or if it robs lower end torque due to less backpressure.

I can tell you in the Mustang (Coyote 5.0 anyway) that removing cats with an off-road H pipe provides almost as much gain as a set of catted long tube headers. But then you have to deal with the obnoxious smell which is a common complaint. Along with potential emissions issues of course. Never heard of people complain about loss of low end torque though.

IMO, the factory manifolds on these trucks are so bad it's worth replacing them even with a catted piece. On the SRT 6.4 cars they use a much better tubular manifold setup and still show good gains with long tubes. The rest of the exhaust is 3.5" pipe so can't see that as being the primary bottleneck.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So ill be saving up for a full custom exhaust in the future but in the mean time I was thinking about removing the resonator. Has anyone done this with stock exhaust and if so, does it sound better at all? I've read through this thread so not sure if anyone has touched on this or if I missed it.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I was building a 1/4 wave resonator for my exahust, and decided to take my truck for a spin while the muffler and tailpipe where off. This is with no exhaust past where the stock muffler attached, and with the windows up. I love the sound, but it would be too loud for the family (wife), especially while towing. After I put the Flowmaster back on I noticed a small loss in power and responsiveness, which may lead to me swapping a straight through muffler on down the road.

http://youtu.be/E149gG_diww

Here's a video with the Flowmaster on the truck.

https://youtu.be/G8E0VstsrsM

Last edited:

SublimeScatShakr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 2018
Engine
2500 24 valve & 6.4L
I think it's a good idea since I'm, like you, still trying to sort out how to get a little more rumble. I'll follow along but will leave my take on the Mufflex in the other thread.
Which thread... I wanna read it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

SublimeScatShakr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 2018
Engine
2500 24 valve & 6.4L
I have the mufflex kit, chopped the resonator off and put a 4" tip just behind the rear axle similar to bold adventures ass end. Thing sounds rediculous and in my quiet suburban neighborhood you can hear me revving at 4k from 3 streets away (according to my dad and neighbor lol). Honestly it's a bit more than what I wanted but firing up the motor and the idle are perfect imo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
This sounds exactly like what I am looking at doing

SublimeScatShakr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 2018
Engine
2500 24 valve & 6.4L
BoldAdventure,

Looks like I'm going to do a similar set-up on my 2016 PW, except with the 12909 (3.5" I/O) and dumped with a black tip in current resonator position.

I love the sound of yours and when I found the link it kind of sealed the deal on my decision.

If you don't mind, two quick questions for you...

1) Are you still liking the sound?

2) How much stainless pipe did your exhaust shop have to add in front of the Magnaflow muffler? (just wondering if a few inches of excess from the resonator to end of tail pipe section will be enough).

Thanks!
Is this the mufflex one or a stand alone MF? I have a 2018 pwr-wagn on the way and have just started the lovely process of going through the threads.

SublimeScatShakr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 2018
Engine
2500 24 valve & 6.4L
I just put a MF12909 on with the stock tail and res. Perfect for what I want. Free flow with little rumble and no drone. I pull a 30' toy hauler so I don't need NASCAR sound for hours. Painted the res. and tail flat black so its not such a beacon.
Photo file too large and Im not computer literate.
What did you use for paint... High temp stuff?

LakeFisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4

What is the name of the place? I'm in Mid-MO and may make the trip to KC to get it done right on my '18 PW.

SublimeScatShakr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 2018
Engine
2500 24 valve & 6.4L
Any one got any info/input about the flo pro twister kit for the newer PW's?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any one got any info/input about the flo pro twister kit for the newer PW's?

I dont mind Flo Pro for diesels(had one on my Powerstroke) but i am not a fan of them for gassers. Are you looking for a lower cost system? If so we have some options from MBRP that are less expensive.