Dee Zee tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm installing mine as I type. I'm just waiting for the paint to dry and I welded my nut zerg in. I cut the tap off the limiter as well, it will not hurt anything to try it out since it is a throwaway item.

Attachments

• 1486944521509-582784322.jpg
    1486944521509-582784322.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 1486944557799-1608033706.jpg
    1486944557799-1608033706.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
hmmmm....I have a new Ram now and I bought another tailgate assist that I'm going to install when it gets warmer. I like what you did. If you would be willing, could you take a pic so I have a better visual?

Sorry for the delay in getting this pic. Last week was ridiculously busy. It's not the best pic, but in the attached pic, you can see the tab turn into the tailgate to hold it in place. The tab that turns outward to lock against the cable, I've represented with a red line. That is the one that I removed.

Attachments

• TailgateAssist2.jpg
    TailgateAssist2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 67

Atkpilot1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
So when I raise my gate the cable sticks out, so by putting the limiter back on with the cable side broken off, it will keep the cable in place?

Thanks for all the posts, finished mine today, easy job to do.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So when I raise my gate the cable sticks out, so by putting the limiter back on with the cable side broken off, it will keep the cable in place?

Thanks for all the posts, finished mine today, easy job to do.

I left the limiter on to keep the cable from rotating against the paint. What do you mean the cable sticks out? Did you put the clip on the cable?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I left the limiter on to keep the cable from rotating against the paint. What do you mean the cable sticks out? Did you put the clip on the cable?

What I did on my 14 Sport was use a rubber washer, but I like what you did with the limiter. I will do that on my 16 Rebel. As a matter of fact, I think I still have the limiter I took off from the Sport around somewhere.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
What I did on my 14 Sport was use a rubber washer, but I like what you did with the limiter. I will do that on my 16 Rebel. As a matter of fact, I think I still have the limiter I took off from the Sport around somewhere.

You have a pic of that. Mine seems to be rubbing my tailgate but I have the limiter installed.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a pic of that. Mine seems to be rubbing my tailgate but I have the limiter installed.

I don't, but the only difference is that I have a rubber wash here, where the limiter is. Are you saying that it's rubbing at where the arrows are pointing in the pic?...if yes, how is that possible?

Attachments

• 84539d1487006141t-dee_zee_tailgate_assist-tailgateassist2a.JPG
    84539d1487006141t-dee_zee_tailgate_assist-tailgateassist2a.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 52

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I don't, but the only difference is that I have a rubber wash here, where the limiter is. Are you saying that it's rubbing at where the arrows are pointing in the pic?...if yes, how is that possible?

Oh no. I think the cable is rubbing when I open and close it. I will have to get a pic this weekend.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh no. I think the cable is rubbing when I open and close it. I will have to get a pic this weekend.

Oh, ok. Then the cable....is it where it bend against the tailgate when you close it? I saw that happening when I 1st put it on my 14 Sport and I put 3M clear body armor tape there to prevent that damage to the paint.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine came with a piece of mylar to place in two places. I haven't gotten around to sticking it on yet though.

wutech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This damn nut zert can't get it to not spin and actually tighten up. I'm done for today need to go buy a new chest freezer old one died earlier this week.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This damn nut zert can't get it to not spin and actually tighten up.

Push in firmly and hold the Allen wrench still, use the open-end/box wrench to tighten the nut to set the nutzert.

domcort

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 BigHorn 2WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This damn nut zert can't get it to not spin and actually tighten up. I'm done for today need to go buy a new chest freezer old one died earlier this week.

Had the same issue here, held the nutsert with a pair of channel locks and tightened the nut a half turn to start compressing the nutsert. Then placed it in the hole and turned to secure no issues after that.

Hope that helps,

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I fought with the nutsert too many times. I tried everything DeeZee suggested but finally gave up on it. The installation "tool" is complete garbage.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I fought with the nutsert too many times. I tried everything DeeZee suggested but finally gave up on it. The installation "tool" is complete garbage.
Thank god I'm not the only one...I'm building a collection of DeeZee parts in my basement. First one didn't expand, got another kit for free, discussed by phone, second one didn't expand.

I can install a set of headers, change my plugs at night in the rain and install new head units/amps, etc. I hate that little *******!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank god I'm not the only one...I'm building a collection of DeeZee parts in my basement. First one didn't expand, got another kit for free, discussed by phone, second one didn't expand.

I can install a set of headers, change my plugs at night in the rain and install new head units/amps, etc. I hate that little *******!

I felt the same way! I consider myself very mechanically inclined, and that thing kicked my ass. haha

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed my DZ about 6 months ago and I am having a lot of trouble understanding why some folks have such a lot of trouble with that nutsert?!?

Before inserting the nutsert tool into the tailgate, I adjusted the black bolt, the one with the 5mm hex in the top until the threads of that bolt were level with the end of the nutsert, the end which will be inside the tailgate. I then inserted the nutsert into the hole in the tailgate. I colored one face of the regular nut so I could count turns. I then put a 5 mm an Alan key into the head of the bolt preventing the bolt from turning and tightened up the nut on the threads until it just contacted the washer. I then continued to hold the bolt from turning with the Alan key and tightened the regular nut the required 9 turns. I pushed on the Alan key forcing the head on the nutsert to remain firmly in contact with the tailgate. This also prevents the nutsert from turning when you are tightening the regular nut. This expanded the nutsert inside the tailgate. You must not allow the bolt to turn, only the regular nut that is on the shaft if that bolt.

This worked for me. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I haven't installed mine yet, but watched the Dee Zee you tube. They always make things look so easy! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I installed my DZ about 6 months ago and I am having a lot of trouble understanding why some folks have such a lot of trouble with that nutsert?!?

Before inserting the nutsert into the tailgate, I turned the black bolt, the one with the 5mm hex in the top until the threads of that bolt were level with the end of the nutsert. I then inserted the nutsert into the hole in the tailgate. I colored one face of the regular nut so I could count turns. I then put a 5 mm a
Alan key into the head of the bolt preventing the bolt from turning and tightened up the nut on the threads until it was just pushing on the washer. I then continued to hold the bolt from turning with the Alan key and tightened the nut the required 9 turns. This expanded the nutsert inside the tailgate. You must not allow the bolt to turn, only the regular nut that is on the shaft if that bolt.

This worked for me.
Yep...Did exactly that...Twice. Didn't work. lol