Diesel vs Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
85,000 miles, over 55k towing has only solidified my choice in buying a gasser. Flawless ....

Comments like this are just moronic.

I understand the need/want for a gas engine, i've been there and done that. But to state that you're towing 15,000 pounds and up with a 6.4 hemi and by your numbers doing so more often than not and act like you're better off in a gasser... you've flat out lost your mind or you're bending the truth somewhere...

lets break this down...

85,000 miles on a 2014. so let's say youve had it for 2 full years now. that would be 42,500 miles a year, not unrealistic but up there...

Now the common perks to a diesel engine over a gasser are the long run fuel economy, better fuel economy while towing and reliability. The latter is very arguable so we can kind of ignore that for now.

my 2015 6.4 hemi's best fuel economy was 14 mpg.
My 2015 6.7 ******'s best fuel economy was 21 mpg.

towing my 5th wheel my 6.4 hemi got 5-6 mpg
towing my 5th wheel my 6.7 cummins gets 9-11 mpg

so for the "reasons" you bought your hemi i disagree with you... Your situation with higher miles is the prime example of why diesels are around...

if your hemi suits you that is great and dandy but there are much better ways...

I drive less than 2 miles to work each day with my cummins, on winter blend fuel, a fair amount of idle time and in sub freezing temps with that short of a trip i still net higher mpg's than my hemi did with the same trips in the summer time.

To each their own, but i'm very fond of using the right tool for the right job...

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Moronic? First off go **** yourself **** eater. Now for my spin. 2 guys on my crew own diesels, both have sat in a shop numerous times, the ford with injector and lift pump issues and the ram with an assortment of emissions issues. When I set up a service route, it's in stone. There's no skipping a day for bad weather, being sick or having a truck in the shop, period. The reason my business has doubled every year is because we are there when we say we will be there and do the job better than the next guy.
Next reason: when the power train warranty is up I'm going to natural gas. It's abundant and cheap here. There are a few company's working on home fuel stations in the $500 range. I can fuel up from my house for well under $1 gge. I need to build another service truck soon and it will be a gasser as well, probably a gm 6.0 NPR. Diesels won't run on natural gas last time I checked.
Next: the 16k load I pull, is once every couple of weeks and the 6.4 pulls it fine. The work trailer weighs between 4000 empty and 7500 full. I get around 11 mpg winter, 12.5 summer pulling it around. The 1 time my truck was down(bricked pcm, new tuner) I pulled the route with my pops 2007 duramax and got 14.5 mpg. At current fuel prices it's a wash.
So in conclusion I made my choice based on my business, my observations and my needs. When you start a business that doubles 3 years in a row, come back and tell me how to run mine.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Loves country store in choteau ok $1.45 87 octane, diesel $1.88 cash $1.93 credit

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Moronic? First off go **** yourself **** eater. Now for my spin. 2 guys on my crew own diesels, both have sat in a shop numerous times, the ford with injector and lift pump issues and the ram with an assortment of emissions issues. When I set up a service route, it's in stone. There's no skipping a day for bad weather, being sick or having a truck in the shop, period. The reason my business has doubled every year is because we are there when we say we will be there and do the job better than the next guy.
Next reason: when the power train warranty is up I'm going to natural gas. It's abundant and cheap here. There are a few company's working on home fuel stations in the $500 range. I can fuel up from my house for well under $1 gge. I need to build another service truck soon and it will be a gasser as well, probably a gm 6.0 NPR. Diesels won't run on natural gas last time I checked.
Next: the 16k load I pull, is once every couple of weeks and the 6.4 pulls it fine. The work trailer weighs between 4000 empty and 7500 full. I get around 11 mpg winter, 12.5 summer pulling it around. The 1 time my truck was down(bricked pcm, new tuner) I pulled the route with my pops 2007 duramax and got 14.5 mpg. At current fuel prices it's a wash.
So in conclusion I made my choice based on my business, my observations and my needs. When you start a business that doubles 3 years in a row, come back and tell me how to run mine.

Yes, Moronic, and i stand behind saying it...

let me elaborate some more now that some more facts have come about.

you own a company involving hauling and you are ******* on the reliability and the fuel economy of a diesel...

lets start with the facts...

BTU's per gallon of

gasoline- 112,114
Diesel - 128,488
Natural gas - 114,000

simply put diesel fuel is going to be more efficient than either method you're using/working on.

now on to the fact that you are running a truck as a hauler yet have a 2.5" leveling kit as well as 35" tires... seems to me those in the hauling business leave things pretty low and run fairly small tires... To educate you the lower to the ground, the more aerodynamic and the more aerodynamic the more efficient. Also with smaller tires equates to a higher mechanical advantage for the truck also equating to higher fuel economy as well as eases the stress on the truck...

but of course since you own your own business and doubles three years in a row you knew all that already...

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
so because diesel has a few more btus it's pans out to be cheaper than cng? The cng at my house costs .77 per gge before figuring in the electricity to run the pump. That number doesn't swing wildly like gas and diesel. It's bought on contract, years in advance. And if I want I can switch back over to gasoline by pushing a button.
And as far as the level and tires, I like efficiency but I like a good looking truck as well. I can suffer a mile per gallon for my own vanity....

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hmmm... this sounds like someone else we know on here but with a different user name. :shakehead:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Pretty sweet setup for poor mans gasser. That the work tank/trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 63

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I was looking for a truck, there was a year old one I was interested in that was being advertised with over 100k miles. I called and they said it wasnt a mistake. I just did a search for high mileage annual cars and there are forums where people are talking putting on 40k annually. How do you know what people do with their vehicles. If its not unrealistic, why do you mention it?

Better fuel economy and reliability? Ill give you resale value and towing performance, but thats it. I have heard horror stories about repairs on diesels. A lot of reason why people stay away from them nowadays (including the emissions crap). Dont you think youre going to spend thousands over the life of the truck on the increased fuel price? Cause you are. Better fuel economy/ increased fuel price. Better resale /higher motor price&more costly to maintain.

Youll see my toy hauler in my album which can be around 13-14k and i dont have a problem. I dont think adding another 1k (which is what the gvw is) would make a huge difference. You obviously are driving a diesel so your expectations are higher.

5-6mpg!? where the hell are you towing, the ike? I always got at least 8, usually 10mpg and thats with some small hills and 4.10 gearing, not always flat. Maybe I just drive very conservatively, IDK. Can dude tow 15k? Why not, he says he only does it here and there, not everyday. Do you know him personally? Isnt that a possibility? Ram says it is. Im sure youve heard of people towing well over the capacity of their truck too. Doesnt make it right

I never saw the point in driving a diesel for short trips in freezing temps just to pull a 5er here and there. Idk what kind of 5er youre pulling, but I wouldnt call that the right tool for the job. But, thats just me

I understand the need/want for a gas engine, i've been there and done that. But to state that you're towing 15,000 pounds and up with a 6.4 hemi and by your numbers doing so more often than not and act like you're better off in a gasser... you've flat out lost your mind or you're bending the truth somewhere...

lets break this down...

85,000 miles on a 2014. so let's say youve had it for 2 full years now. that would be 42,500 miles a year, not unrealistic but up there...

Now the common perks to a diesel engine over a gasser are the long run fuel economy, better fuel economy while towing and reliability. The latter is very arguable so we can kind of ignore that for now.

so for the "reasons" you bought your hemi i disagree with you... Your situation with higher miles is the prime example of why diesels are around...

if your hemi suits you that is great and dandy but there are much better ways...

I drive less than 2 miles to work each day with my cummins, on winter blend fuel, a fair amount of idle time and in sub freezing temps with that short of a trip i still net higher mpg's than my hemi did with the same trips in the summer time.

To each their own, but i'm very fond of using the right tool for the right job...

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
avolnek has been around for a while, so it's not what you're thinking ;)

In his case, a diesel was absolutely the most suitable choice due to his less than stellar run with the 6.4L. If you go back and read through some of the BS he had to put up with, you'd understand why he has a bit of disdain for a gas engine. I am not trying to be a "White Knight", rather I am just trying to head off a witch hunt before it starts and completely spins this this thread out of control.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
"clatter" victim? Im not one to go look back through old threads. Im just saying, Im using the truck for the same exact reasons (the ones hes mentioned so far). Sub freezing temps and hauling a fiver

avolnek has been around for a while, so it's not what you're thinking ;)

In his case, a diesel was absolutely the most suitable choice due to his less than stellar run with the 6.4L. If you go back and read through some of the BS he had to put up with, you'd understand why he has a bit of disdain for a gas engine. I am not trying to be a "White Knight", rather I am just trying to head off a witch hunt before it starts and completely spins this this thread out of control.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
"clatter" victim? Im not one to go look back through old threads. Im just saying, Im using the truck for the same exact reasons (the ones hes mentioned so far). Sub freezing temps and hauling a fiver

I'm not disputing that. I just wanted to point it out so we all weren't chasing down the rabbit hole since there may be a few users that haven't been around long enough to see some of the posts he had :)

On with the show!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
First of all, ib516 is not my buddy.

Second , don't tell me what to go read. You brought info here from another forum. This is between you and whoever else wants to participate . I could care less what they think on that forum. Did he post a picture of his truck and trailer!? Why would that even matter?

Third, didn't you teach us that the 6.4/ gassers shouldn't be towing heavy weights up steep hills? I would think if anyone was to question his credibility, it would be you. Oh, and didn't he have 3.73, another reason to not be hauling heavy weights in hilly areas

First butt hurt. You get mad because I said he was your buddy? Too funny. I figured you two were like peas and carrots with him being a fellow 6.4L owner and all. Or is it because he's from Canada? C'mon, Canadians aren't bad. Maybe you should become buddies with ib516. He is genuinely a good guy from my run-ins with him and he is going through a nasty divorce so maybe you can tell him a thing or two about since you been through it.

Second butt hurt. You stated "I didn't read everything thoroughly" yet you questioned the credibility. So if you would have taken my advice (instead of being lazy) and actually read through the thread (especially the next few page where he shows pictures of his truck and trailer) then you would not have sounded like a fool for questioning the credibility. Just trying to help you out..... buddy. Besides, I said "please read" so that was not telling, that was asking.

Third butt hurt, Yeah I said you shouldn't tow heavy going up hills especially in higher altitudes and should lower the amount that you are towing to compensate for how steep and high you will be towing. Every truck manufacturer (except for Ram) tells you this in their owners packet. What does me telling you this have to do with his credibility? You didn't know that before I told you so maybe he didn't know that either. Well....... he does now.

Last edited:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
multiple combatants in this ring.....one hell of thread op!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

lets break this down...

WARNING!!! What you are about to hear may shock you into a heart attack so please read over if you already have heart problems!

Okay, now that I got that out of the way I have to say this. I am not against you on your reasoning. I am with you 100% on what you stating the diesel would be a better choice in his case especially towing 15k. I also know that one can say the same for diesels like my father with 325k on his 7.3L PSD, my father-in-law with 250k on his 6.0L PSD, and my brother-in-law with 190k on his 6.7L CTD with more than half of those miles towing with all three of them. Hell, I am even with you on thinking that some of what he says probably isn't 100% true because logic and rational thought would say otherwise.

HOWEVER, I do think that he should not be flamed just for having his own reasons for buying what he did even though we don't agree with it. I do see your point in stating that rational thought would prove him incorrect in certain ways, but in the end it is still his own reason which he is allowed to have. If he would have said that a diesel could not have lasted 85k while his 6.4L could then I would have jumped in to refute that, but not for just saying his truck has done well in 85k has solidified his choice..... regardless of if anyone thinks there is any truth to it or not since there is no way to prove him wrong on his mileage.

Okay, continue on.

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't usually browse the heavy duty threads but once a week, but with these shenanigans maybe I should more often. How old are you guys? 12, 13?? ******* grow up!! Okay, back to your regularly scheduled arguing and repeating the same **** for 16 pages!!