Diesel vs Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking forward to next ram overhaul. The 6.4 will surely get a nice bump in hp/torque and a heavy duty 8 speed would be interesting....

I think a new Transmission would be the best thing for the 6.4l. One that does not share gear ratios with the 68RFE.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I bought a new 2004 dodge with a 5.7. It was rated @ 345 horse. 8 years later bought another 5.7 except this one was pushing 390 hp. The extra power is out there, it's up to Ram to get to the market.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if...

1) they attempt a turbo v6.

2) try direct injection

3) switch to in house Iveco diesel for HD line.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope, it was earlier last year around February (I think) if that helps.

I think I remember forum member ib516 asking him questions if that also helps.

"From: ib516
Sent: 01/24/16 04:52pm
Subject: RE: Ram 6.4l

Oh sorry. No never heard of it other than on Colorado"

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ram CEO said they weren't interested in direct injection.....yet. He said the verdict is still out on benefits vs potential downside.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Is my statement true, can a Ram 4500 upfitted like that tow anything its rated to tow with a 6.4 hemi powerplant?

I guess you missed this statement in my last post where I said...

Also, I never said anything about your statement being false or fact. I just said his opinion got you froggy enough to leap like you usually do when someone insinuates or has an opinion that the Cummins is a better engine option.

If you are asking me out of the blue if I think the it can tow the 17,000 plis lbs that all 2wd Ram 4500 with an AS66RC trans and 4.44 gears is rated for, then I would say that depends on the kind of terrain, what kind of load, and at what elevation. Flat ground should not be an issue since just about any HD truck out these days can get 17,000 lbs moving even most half tons. I think going up grades would cause it to work hard and maybe fall back speed wise and even more so if your load a lot of wind resistance. Going up grades plus high altitude, no I don't think it would be able to tow 17,000 plus it reasonably well or up to most people's standards.

If you are asking me if I think that the 4500 in that other thread could probably handle the light duty truck and cars that most wreckers do? Then yes I think it can without much trouble. However, I would have to agree with 68powerwagon in thinking it would not be the smartest way to go for that role.

Also, I searched every post made by ib516 from his first until mid April 2015 and read a majority of any thread he posted in that might contain a possible 6.4 "feature" kicking in at low altitude. Nothing was found. Some talk of the Ike Gauntlet, and even a claim by another memeber that nobody else has actually encountered the "feature" outside of the Ike. Maybe I am the only one. I will send him a PM to see if he has read anything of it happening at 1400' as you claim.

I like posts that I like. Go figure.

Good, let us know what you find. I did my own searching to try and find to no avail, but I did find this one where forum member Baxter214 had the issue towing 9k although this one is at high altitude.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi

After reading that one I see the ib516 was talking to baxter214 so I hope I am not getting part mixed up in the one I remember reading from Tennessee. Hopefully he will remember enough to be able to easily find it in a search because I don't. I do remember that the threads topic was about a certain RV and not in the Tow vehicle section. The poster was just commenting on how his new truck towed his RV along with the pros and cons of the RV in the threads topic. It was a pretty heavy RV too from what I remember.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
"From: ib516
Sent: 01/24/16 04:52pm
Subject: RE: Ram 6.4l

Oh sorry. No never heard of it other than on Colorado"

Sorry, I was typing my last post while you posted this.

I remember him talking to the guy who posted it in one of the threads, I guess it was only the one I posted above and not the Tennesse one.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
the wife has a gas turbo VW, direct injection. It's runs like a bat outta hell. No problems with it so far but there are articles concerning Cadillac, Subaru and VW where soot accumulation are causing issues.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Baxter 214 is mistaken as well. He states his truck was pegged out at 6000rpm and stayed there at 35mph. He has the 3.73 gears. That would equate to something around 48mph, yet not really possible as the redline is, I believe, 5800. 4200 wold be ~34.

So he also found the gear hold "feature" going up the Ike.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Think anyone from Ram design listens or reads the posts from those of us that want a truck??? A beefed up 8 speed would be night to day from the 66RFE. Would immediately put Ram head and shoulders above the competition. Also would be good to see a dual performance ECM made available. Think the HellCat has that ? Street and a performance mode. Just Imagine.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Carbon buildup was is a major concern for DI engines with an EGR systems like the Cadillac 2.5L, VW 2.0L, and Ford Ecoboost 2.0L. Not so much for engines without them like Ford's 2.7L and 3.5L Ecoboost and GM's new 4.3L, and 5.3L and 6.2L Ecotec engines. While you still get some build up with the non EGR DI engines, it is not even remotely close to the same as engines with EGR to where it is a major issue. Although some new DI engines like the roughly 420 hp Gen 2 3.5L Ecoboost will be port and direct injected.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Baxter 214 is mistaken as well. He states his truck was pegged out at 6000rpm and stayed there at 35mph. He has the 3.73 gears. That would equate to something around 48mph, yet not really possible as the redline is, I believe, 5800. 4200 wold be ~34.

So he also found the gear hold "feature" going up the Ike.

Well you will have to take that up with him, I am pretty sure if you message him then he will be able to give you better info. There were only two others that I remember reading about this in. The one from Tennessee and the other one was not in that RV forum.

If I find the thread from where the gear hold "nanny" happened to the guy in Tennessee then I will post it.

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'm looking forward to next ram overhaul. The 6.4 will surely get a nice bump in hp/torque and a heavy duty 8 speed would be interesting....

That would be nice! If they did something like that I would think that only the one towing the heaviest loads would need the diesel. Point being the guy who wants a larger 5er or toy hauler but still only has 3-4 weeks of vacation per year would enjoy saving over having to need/want a diesel to tow.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Night ad day difference between a bumper pull and gooseneck. I think Nissan may have screwed the pooch on the Titan. What I have read so far states the crew cab 4x4 weight 7300 lbs, towing around 12,500 and observed mpg at 15ish. Seems really hung in the middle to me.....

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didnt read everything thoroughly, but that baxter guy is having trouble pulling a 9k trailer. Something is wrong with his truck. Credibiity? Also, the ib 516 guy has you tube videos pulling his 5er

I guess you missed this statement in my last post where I said...

If you are asking me out of the blue if I think the it can tow the 17,000 plis lbs that all 2wd Ram 4500 with an AS66RC trans and 4.44 gears is rated for, then I would say that depends on the kind of terrain, what kind of load, and at what elevation. Flat ground should not be an issue since just about any HD truck out these days can get 17,000 lbs moving even most half tons. I think going up grades would cause it to work hard and maybe fall back speed wise and even more so if your load a lot of wind resistance. Going up grades plus high altitude, no I don't think it would be able to tow 17,000 plus it reasonably well or up to most people's standards.

If you are asking me if I think that the 4500 in that other thread could probably handle the light duty truck and cars that most wreckers do? Then yes I think it can without much trouble. However, I would have to agree with 68powerwagon in thinking it would not be the smartest way to go for that role.

Good, let us know what you find. I did my own searching to try and find to no avail, but I did find this one where forum member Baxter214 had the issue towing 9k although this one is at high altitude.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi

After reading that one I see the ib516 was talking to baxter214 so I hope I am not getting part mixed up in the one I remember reading from Tennessee. Hopefully he will remember enough to be able to easily find it in a search because I don't. I do remember that the threads topic was about a certain RV and not in the Tow vehicle section. The poster was just commenting on how his new truck towed his RV along with the pros and cons of the RV in the threads topic. It was a pretty heavy RV too from what I remember.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ib516 his YouTube videos were watched by me before I made the decision to go 6.4L.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Drittal,

I found the other one I was talking about that was in another forum, but still haven't found the Tennessee one. Although this is actually two, the OP and the guy below, but the OP didn't provide that much information to even comment.

The guys doesn't state the altitude, but he does say that he tows between West Virginia and Pennsylvania. The highest point (not highest road) between the two states is Spruce Knob summit in West Virginia at 4,863 ft so I would imaging that the actual highest highway road is probably a lot lower than that.

Msieg080

Hello all! I too am a newbie to the site. I Actually joined because of this post (for now at least )

Waking up an old, but applicable thread!

I purchased a 2014 Ram 2500 6.4l Crew Cab in January. I have 7000 miles on it now. I purchased this to tow my 10,000 Travel trailer about 1 dozen times a year across the mountains of PA and WV.

I have to agree with the poster of this thread. I have also seen the You Tube of Ike Gauntlet, if you have not, you should, chevy/ram/ford compatible ike climb contest (depicts exactly what's happening to me). I love Ram, and I am very happy with my purchase, but this is the worst mountain/hill towing vehicle. Something is happening in 1st/2nd gear when this thing is in 7+% grade incline. Everything starts great, pulling good, shifting good, but then when it needs to drop into first, it only stays at peak pulling power for a few seconds and than it literally feels like the gas pedal is only half on (even though I am buried to the floor), and the truck begins to back off to maybe 4000 rpms and the truck slows to a crawl of 25 - 35 mph and then stays there until it's safe to go into 2nd again. It's the computer doing this...sometimes I wish drive by wire didn't exist...

The original poster is from Colorado, I am from the mountains on the other side of the country... You others seem to be on flat land. Any one else have thoughts? Did you find a solution to your towing issue you noticed? I am thinking about purchasing a Diablo tuner to fix this?

Thanks,
Matt

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=174886&page=2

Again, if I find the Tennessee one then I will post it.

BTW, I learned a little fact about the "speed bumps" here in Texas while trying to find the elevation of where he was towing. The highest point of the Appalachian mountain range is Mount Mitchell at 6,684 ft. That is lower than the highest road in Texas that is at 6,791 ft and considerably lower than the highest point in Texas which is at 8,751 ft.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Highest road in MT is 10,947'.

I encountered the hold climbing from 4000' to 8340'. 8% avg for something like 10 miles. 5% average from bottom to the top.

I did call and leave a question with SAE about this "feature" and whether it is something that is consistent with their J2807 certification.

The guy in your post was finding the gear hold feature at long "7+%".

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove across country this last summer from California, to Minnesota, then back. I have the tiny 4.7 :sleepy10: The only time i noticed elevation issues was actually going down hill in the middle of Utah, on 70 leaving salina headed to green river. Going over the pass in Colorado, on 70, didnt notice it at all. On my OLD 4.7 i noticed elevation alot, especially when i was running 35's... going over tioga pass on 120 at about 10000 feet loaded to payload with camping gear on 35's I thought something was going to break:crazy: