Differences Between 22 and 30 Gallon Fuel Tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Denning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone tell me if there is a visible difference in size between the 22 and 30 gallon tanks?

I believe that my tank was replaced because there are 2x4s under the tank between the straps and the tank. That makes me think the tank used to be larger and was replaced with a smaller one.

My issue is that the tank is leaking around the fuel sending unit and if I have to get a new sending unit, I need to know which size to get.

I did fill the tank up and it took about 20 gallons but I don't know how much was in the tank to start with (the truck is new to me and the gas gauge is not working correctly). Unfortunately, I didn't know about the leak until after I filled it up.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the tanks should be the exact same size where the straps wrap around the tank. i think someone might have been trying to used what they had when they replaced the straps or just had the wrong straps in general.
zYbFZRghwW0zKdIkQ5kccPT88Zk-cdWStV1J0=w352-h625-no.jpg

OP
OP
Tim Denning

Tim Denning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks! Mine is definitely the 22 gallon tank based on the picture.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
8 Gallons was my 1st thought also .
.. My 1988 is leaking also. I wonder if that's a normal thing. I was expecting to just put a Rubber O/Ring on mine but my gauge is working correctly..
& OF COURSE THAT says I get to drop the tank. As I have a WEXTERN HAULLER BED ON MINE .