Do I dare buy a used RAM with air ride when living with snowy winters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Hello!

Do I dare buy a used RAM 1500 with air ride when living with snowy winters?

If I do, the car will not have more than 35.000miles on it and will be a 2014 or 2015 fully loaded 4x4 sport model :happy107:

I have search alot with no luck. If I Google I get som hits on other forums, but I am on this forum.

So you guys with air ride and white winters, would you buy a RAM with air ride / air suspension again?

I will load my ATV in the back on my sleddeck, thats why I look for the air ride + the ride is better I heard!

But I don't want a RAM with ****** up suspension in the winter time :baby:

Sorry if my english is bad, I'm from Sweden :word: And that used truck is around $48.000 here :(

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm working with a guy who has a 2015 longhorn with the air and 80,000 km on it and he's been loading it up a fair bit and running it in northern Alberta the whole time so it's seen -30c and he says he's had no isues. I have a new 2017 with air, but it's barely left the garage yet. I will say if you plan on lifting go with the regular suspension. The links that level it make it ride rougher than the regular suspension with coil springs and there's limited options. I took my links out and am running stock height again after trying them out. I've heard of fittings breaking on 13 and 14s because of the cold, but I haven't heard of many problems since then.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy had a 14 CC with air suspension and 0 issues in the winter. Over 100 000kms on it and he does tow various sized trailers around with it. Had a 17 now with no complaints.

I have a 16 CC sport with air also. I just drive it (no towing or anything) and I've had no problems either. I use enrty/exit 90% of the time too.

I wouldn't be worried about air suspension in the cold.

OP
OP
Stefan N

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
How big of a difference is the air-ride ride vs normal coil springs and shocks?

I'm thinking if I find a great deal on a Ram that's missing the Air ride. There are easy help air bags for when I load the ATV https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60818/

But is the Ride sooo much better with the 4 corner air ride then that is what I will buy.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had any issues with the air suspension in the cold winters.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have an air ride and a non air ride ram. The air ride is noticeably smoother, but the regular coil spring suspension is still pretty good. As I posted before if you plan on lifting go with the coils. If not you'll likely be happy with either.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
no I wouldn't. had one didn't like the pos system love my ram just not the air suspension.

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 5 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
I have an air ride and a non air ride ram. The air ride is noticeably smoother, but the regular coil spring suspension is still pretty good. As I posted before if you plan on lifting go with the coils. If not you'll likely be happy with either.

Can't imagine owning this truck without the air ride. IMO it makes the truck ride better than many "luxury" cars. Is equally as good to our Mercedes GL450 and in some cases better. As far as cold is concerned - no issues at all on my 2016 even when we are in Adirondacks and it's below zero.