Do I need to get a RAM 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/2014-heavy-duty.html
1 2 3 4 5 6
66RFE 3.23 1.84 1.41 1.00 0.82 0.63
68RFE 3.23 1.84 1.41 1.00 0.82 0.63

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
8 speed
The tall first gear allows for early lockup of the torque converter clutch.

Gear 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ratio 4.71 3.14 2.10 1.67 1.29 1.00 0.84 0.67

Here is all you are missing with a 6 (excluding mpg)

1 - 4.71
3 - 2.10

6/7/8 the same

It the seat of the pants dyno might like the differences and maybe the mpg.
It is difficult to tell because I can't find Ram's info for 2019 But, It looks like you pick up 1,500 of towing with the 8. BUT THAT CAN BE DUE TO OTHER FACTORS and not the transmission.

https://www.tfltruck.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019-ram-hd-towing-chart.pdf

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2016_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
See I'm not a fan of diesel, tried them 5 times. I'm the opposite I won't buy a HD truck unless it's gas :D maybe it has something to do with diesel being over $6 a gallon where I'm at and gas is only around a buck something

Diesel here is the same price as mid grade gas so it's a no brainer for me.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too many folks by the diesel just to have a “diesel”. As a daily driver it would be a HUGE waste of money. You will pay at minimum 6,000.00 more for the diesel. If you don’t use it to haul a heavy trailer you just pissed that money await...It is designed to pull heavy loads. I have a 2500 with a 6.4, daily drive it but haul 12k on the weekends. Does fine. 11 city 18 highway empty. Loaded about 12 highway.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
I went 2500 12 years ago and now it has close to 330,000 km and still going strong. The heavier truck will last longer and the 5.7 six speed standard fits good with it. The 2500 will last lot longer than a 1500 due to heavier weight, heavier construction and heady duty ability. Towed a jeep out of a forestry access road a few years ago near the top of a pass. Carried loads that would break the back of a 1500. Pay the extra. Less repairs and longer life will make it worthwhile. You will not be disappointed.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All QTs have scales to weigh campers, trailers, etc. They are in the semi fuel area.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 RAM 1500 limited with a 5.7 HEMI.

It has done quite well towing a trailer with a weight of about 4000 pounds.

I exchanged that trailer for a toy hauler that has a dry weight of 7000 pounds. I will carry my motorcycle which has a weight of 594 pounds.

Thus, the operating weight of the toy hauler could end up being 8500 to 9000 pounds. While this is below the towing capacity of the 1500 it is near the limit.

When towing the lighter trailer the truck was stable and steady. With the new trailer it seems to have more movement. It does not sway, because I have sway bars, however, there movement in pitch.

As we know, the 2500 is an expensive truck, I don’t want to put out the expense if I don’t need to.

1. Am I putting my truck, and myself, in a dangerous situation by towing near the maximum limit?

2. What do you think is causing the pitch movement? Could this be related to the hitch?

3. The 2500 comes standard with a 6.2 hemi, as I recall. Although this engine would result in less towing capacity, it would be adequate for my purposes. What is your opinion on the HEMI verses the diesel?

How much is your life worth? A number of years ago, I came up on a wreck just outside Forest, Mississippi on I-40. A 1/2 ton truck was hauling a large Airstream. They were about 100 yards off the road stuck in the top of trees, still tethered. Don't risk safety over a few dollars. Old adage: Never jump over a dollar to pick up a penny.

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much is your life worth? A number of years ago, I came up on a wreck just outside Forest, Mississippi on I-40. A 1/2 ton truck was hauling a large Airstream. They were about 100 yards off the road stuck in the top of trees, still tethered. Don't risk safety over a few dollars. Old adage: Never jump over a dollar to pick up a penny.

I purchased a ram 2500

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Too many folks by the diesel just to have a “diesel”. As a daily driver it would be a HUGE waste of money. You will pay at minimum 6,000.00 more for the diesel. If you don’t use it to haul a heavy trailer you just pissed that money await...It is designed to pull heavy loads.
Personally, I agree. Our CTD truck is not a daily driver, and I think that commuting with one in traffic is probably not good for a modern deffed diesel pickup. But for a person that does haul a heavy camper/trailer now and then and can't afford/doesn't want both a commuter vehicle and a truck, it is not a waste of money, it's a compromise.

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are exactly in the same situation where I was last year.
I was looking at RAM 1500 limited, but then realized that the limited trim has only around 1200~1300lbs payload because of the added options.
with 1300lbs payload, you already have 400lbs for your family members, that leaves you only 900lbs.
Adding the motor cycle, it brings down available payload to 300lbs.
Basically, you won't have enough payload for your trailer's tongue weight which usually goes around 12% of the trailer weight. (8500lbs * 12% = 1020lbs)

that being said, you will need at least 2000lbs payload for your setup. (1020lbs tongue weight + motor cycle 600lbs + family members 400lbs)
That's why I ended up with RAM 2500 Cummins

1. Am I putting my truck, and myself, in a dangerous situation by towing near the maximum limit?
Yes, it's well over your truck's payload capacity..

2. What do you think is causing the pitch movement? Could this be related to the hitch?
There are many factors; Weight balance of your trailer, Wind, your Tow Truck weight, wheel base of your Tow Truck..etc..
A very expensive hitch such as Hensley or Pro Pride hitch can help eliminate the risk, I actually bought Pro Pride..no white knuckle, sway, what so ever.
I appreciated that I had it when I did a full emergency brake

3. The 2500 comes standard with a 6.2 hemi, as I recall. Although this engine would result in less towing capacity, it would be adequate for my purposes. What is your opinion on the HEMI verses the diesel?
6.2 Hemi, you get more payload because 6.2 Hemi is lighter than 6.7 Cummins. (Hemi gets about 900lbs more payload than Cummins in the same trim)
It's more than adequate for your set up, it can easily pull 8500~9000lbs trailers.
But, if you live in a hilly area, Diesel definitely works great. That's why I went with Cummins.

Hope this helps!

When I told my trailer with the 1500, I realized immediately that the check was not adequate.I’ purchased a ram 2500

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You didn't tell us a few things:

1. What differential gears did you get?
2. Did you get the 5th wheel package?
3. What weight distribution hitch did you get?
4.What is the length of your trailer? - There are limits.
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/shopping-guides/national-park-rv-length-restrictions

1. 3.73 Axle Ratio

2. No, I did not get the fifth wheel option. It has the 6’4” bed. The trailer is a lance 2212 toy hauler.

3. Trunnion 92-00-1200

4. Lance 2212
Floor length 22’6”
overall length 27’11”
gross dry weight 6605 pounds
Hitch dry weight 640 pounds
cargo carrying capacity 3345 pounds
GAWR 5200 pounds per axle
two axles
GVWR 9950 pounds

My previous trailer was 40 feet total length with tow vehicle and trailer, and thus permitted me to camp in more national Park campgrounds. However, that trailer was too small this is much more comfortable

Last edited:
OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Choosing between diesel and the hemi, was difficult. I purchased a truck through the fleet manager and he said that if I needed a diesel that’s what he would recommend.

We discuss the options that were most important for me and he located a 2500 Laramie Longhorn a few hundred miles away. The few days I waited between that conversation and pick up date were quite stressful. I drove the truck with the hemi engine I believe I made the right choice.

The right choice for me, with consideration for the conditions I intend use the truck. Of course, I’d prefer that it shows like a diesel powered truck.

My plan for the next five years is to tow the trailer to locations near or in National Parks and camp for ten days or two weeks and then go to a different park or a different location. My goal is to visit as many national parks as I can.

During the time I am camped at the park. I will use the truck to tour the park and make photographs. So, I will not be towing every day. I am planning to buy a motorcycle, so if conditions
Permit I will use the motorcycle to tour the park.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
1. 3.73 Axle Ratio

2. No, I did not get the fifth wheel option. It has the 6’4” bed. The trailer is a lance 2212 toy hauler.

3. Trunnion 92-00-1200

4. Lance 2212
Floor length 22’6”
overall length 27’11”
gross dry weight 6605 pounds
Hitch dry weight 640 pounds
cargo carrying capacity 3345 pounds
GAWR 5200 pounds per axle
two axles
GVWR 9950 pounds

My previous trailer was 40 feet total length with tow vehicle and trailer, and thus permitted me to camp in more national Park campgrounds. However, that trailer was too small this is much more comfortable

I was asking about the 5th because most people eventually go bigger.

Add some solar & get a generator so you can boondock.

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was asking about the 5th because most people eventually go bigger.

Add some solar & get a generator so you can boondock.

Good luck

Two solar panels and an inverter are being installed this Friday. The trailer has an onboard generator. It can also carry 100 gallons of fresh water and 40 gallons of unleaded fuel

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are you located? Here in Arkansas, diesel is $1.69. Still higher than the $1.19 price per gallon of regular, but the increased fuel mileage makes up for the gap, and them some, in most situations.

That is something I hear people talk about a lot though, the cost of a diesel over gas. There is no question that is true. But it's not about what is cheapest to me. It's about what will do the job the best. If I have to pay more to get the pulling power I'm after, such is life. You also get some of that difference back when you go to sell it too.
Around here diesel isn't worth much more. And also my gasser pulls everything I throw at it, but I see why people need a diesel. I bought a 2001 Ram 2500 that had a 12V auto and came with the factory 24V 6spd for $400. Some the diesels and it bought me tires. I understand the role they play but the higher maintenance and overall cost I can't justify it.

Hope that makes sense :D

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Around here diesel isn't worth much more. And also my gasser pulls everything I throw at it, but I see why people need a diesel. I bought a 2001 Ram 2500 that had a 12V auto and came with the factory 24V 6spd for $400. Some the diesels and it bought me tires. I understand the role they play but the higher maintenance and overall cost I can't justify it.

Hope that makes sense :D
That's great if your gasser pulls well for you. If I lived in flatter country, mine would have too. So I get the gas thing. But I'm curious where you live that diesel is not "worth much more". Can you share a zipcode I can use to look at Nada, KBB, etc? I just did that with Nada for my area (72756) and for a 2015 Laramie with the same options and miles, it's a $9K add to the trade in prices, and $9500 add to the clean retail price.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Around here diesel is almost double regular gas. Last time I filled up in eastern Ohio gas was 1.58 and diesel was 2.89

Just checked Gas Buddy and my local station is 2.08 for regular and diesel is 3.15. In Ohio it shows 1.57 and 2.65.

My son has a 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's (exact same truck as me) and towed his 9000lb camper 1500 miles to North Dakota last year and looking like he might be heading to Houston area which is 1400 miles from here. His truck towed to ND fine. No complaints at all.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's great if your gasser pulls well for you. If I lived in flatter country, mine would have too. So I get the gas thing. But I'm curious where you live that diesel is not "worth much more". Can you share a zipcode I can use to look at Nada, KBB, etc? I just did that with Nada for my area (72756) and for a 2015 Laramie with the same options and miles, it's a $9K add to the trade in prices, and $9500 add to the clean retail price.
I pull in really hilly terrian. Just towed a(well before this lockdown crap) 15K load from NY to Montana for a buddy. I should have specified that yes the dealers will give you more money but private buyers won't pay it. For example here there has been a truck listed online as a private sell for almost a year now because it's too much. If memory serves me it's a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel with 80K guy wants almost 60K.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I pull in really hilly terrian. Just towed a(well before this lockdown crap) 15K load from NY to Montana for a buddy. I should have specified that yes the dealers will give you more money but private buyers won't pay it. For example here there has been a truck listed online as a private sell for almost a year now because it's too much. If memory serves me it's a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel with 80K guy wants almost 60K.
The diesel is not why that truck is not moving. The price is. I just picked up an 18 Laramie that is loaded, diesel, certified pre-owned, 14K miles for about $50k. A gas truck in a like configuration would have been much cheaper. Dude is probably upside down on the truck and hoping someone will bail him out.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Diesel here is the same price as mid grade gas so it's a no brainer for me.

I have owned a diesel 2500 pickup for the past 9 years and it costs a great deal more to keep on the road than a truck with the gas engine. I valued the added power of the diesel when hauling a 4,000 lb cabover camper and when towing a boat and trailer with a gross weight of 13,000 lbs, but now that the boat and camper have been sold I will be selling it to get a 1500 pickup with the V-6 engine (and 3.92 gears).

I have to do fuel filter changes 4x as often as diesel is a very very dirty fuel, and I have to replace the oil at half as many miles and the engine takes twice as much oil. I have two batteries to replace every 3-4 years. An injector overhaul for a diesel engine costs over $4,000 just for the parts. A diesel fuel pump costs more than $3,000 to replace and due to the nature of diesel these pumps can fail at 100,000 miles.

So unless one needs the 40% greater range on a full tank of diesel (and there are aftermarket fuel tanks for diesel trucks unlike the current situation with gas fuel tanks) and is towing more than 12,000 lbs and is towing on mountainous terrain where an exhaust brake is very important, there is no rational reason to buy a diesel truck. Be aware to that out on the highway fewer than half the gas stations sell diesel.