Do You See Something Wrong Here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, recently I found that my tailgate was not locking with power. In addition, it was not locking with the key and there was a lot of resistance when attempting to turn it.

I finally got around to opening up the inspection plate to see what was going on and found this...

345019316a22e4bf1ec9723b6b4c8001.jpg

If you're not familiar with the tailgate recall, our truck had an issue where the linkage that latches the tailgate closed had too much travel. This excess travel caused the tailgate to open on its own at random times.

When I originally brought this up to the dealership and pointed out that it was a known issue, they said my truck was not affected by this issue. It had already happened to me three times, one of which was a hair away from the hood of the car behind me when it fell.

I decided to fix it myself, the part to fix it is a small rubber spacer that limits the travel of the latching mechanism. 15 minutes and you're done.

The next time I went to the dealership, they said my truck had this recall open (I guess they expanded it's scope). I told them I already performed the fix and it's not necessary. I couldn't drive around with in my truck with a tailgate just waiting to fall. They had me sign a waiver of the recall too.

Instead of doing what I asked, take a real close look at that picture again...

2bdfd1288976f4a64d0570ce112ec034.jpg

They put a second one in! I honestly should have checked when I left but I assumed signing the waiver was the end of it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Those things multiply like rabbits...:0
There is a metal tab that prevents the black lever from rotating too far. My '15 has the tab. I wonder if they actually break off or if the manufacturer screwed up the punch program that makes the bracket and eliminated the tab.
Here is a picture of the tab.
upload_2020-4-17_6-36-39.jpeg

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There is a metal tab that prevents the black lever from rotating too far. My '15 has the tab. I wonder if they actually break off or if the manufacturer screwed up the punch program that makes the bracket and eliminated the tab.
View attachment 203039
The official answer is they break off. Mine is a 2014 and it took about 4 years until it started happening.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, recently I found that my tailgate was not locking with power. In addition, it was not locking with the key and there was a lot of resistance when attempting to turn it.

I finally got around to opening up the inspection plate to see what was going on and found this...

If you're not familiar with the tailgate recall, our truck had an issue where the linkage that latches the tailgate closed had too much travel. This excess travel caused the tailgate to open on its own at random times.

When I originally brought this up to the dealership and pointed out that it was a known issue, they said my truck was not affected by this issue. It had already happened to me three times, one of which was a hair away from the hood of the car behind me when it fell.

I decided to fix it myself, the part to fix it is a small rubber spacer that limits the travel of the latching mechanism. 15 minutes and you're done.

The next time I went to the dealership, they said my truck had this recall open (I guess they expanded it's scope). I told them I already performed the fix and it's not necessary. I couldn't drive around with in my truck with a tailgate just waiting to fall. They had me sign a waiver of the recall too.

They put a second one in! I honestly should have checked when I left but I assumed signing the waiver was the end of it.

Can you provide the part number for the spacer, and the install? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you provide the part number for the spacer, and the install? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here you go...this has everything you need to know.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How much do you want for the extra rubber piece. ;)
If you really want one it's probably cheaper to order than it is to ship. I think I bought two from quirk parts for $5 or so...

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worth to do it yourself.
$8 and 15 minutes of my day is way better than driving 30 miles to the dealer and waiting all day.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I did this on my 13 as well. Now I'm getting notices to bring it in for this recall and I was debating on going in and having them verify the part was there. After seeing this level of incompetence, I think I'll just keep my truck away from them.

stbear007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine
That's crazy, a true tech should have seen this and not installed another one
Lmao sorry but this is way too common stupidity from all 5 dealers in my area. That's what hurts a big 3 company is things like this or worse never looking into a situation until it's too late.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sign a waiver of a recall? You've got to be kidding? They cannot transfer THEIR liability to you. That paper is worhtless! What about future owners of the truck? Say hypothetically, the tailgate flops open and dumps a load into the windshield of someone behind it? And someone is killed or maimed?

Recalls are done through the NTSB and the NHTSA, thus a completed recall is registered at the federal level. I was educated to all this when a customer once requested I disable his airbags (SRS). I did research and found out that it is a very complicated process. One legit reason for disabling airbags (SRS) is if you have had open heart surgery and they split your sternum.... an airbag would likely kill you, not save you. That requires a raft of paperwork and registering the vehicle with the NHTSA. There are ugly neon stickers you must place on the steering wheel and passenger dash, warning hapless others driving the vehicle that they aren't protected.

The young girl who was killed by the Takata airbag in her Civic, near Houston (Clear Lake) was tragic.... turns out the family had received four notices. This came up in a lawsuit against Takata.

Check with a decent consumer attorney. Otherwise, I'd have the recall done! Happy motoring!

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 203039
Is that plastic? Looks like it, but hard to tell for sure. If it is, it's bound to break from fatigue eventually. Case in point, I have an Ashley sofa with reclining seats. The release is plastic. Back in February I pulled the release and it just broke. Ordered a replacement from eBay and installed it. Here it is April and I reached down to pull the release and it broke. Found that I can get the pulls from Amazon made of metal. No more breaking. Maybe someone makes that part in metal also?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lmao sorry but this is way too common stupidity from all 5 dealers in my area. That's what hurts a big 3 company is things like this or worse never looking into a situation until it's too late.

WELL: U Know what happened: They checked the tailgate by Plugging in their Witech Tool to the OBD, said; "Could Not Duplicate", LMAO