Does anyone else but me think there are way too many electronics in today's vehicles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Yes. I remember a 69 GTO I had and replaced the dist to a one wire! Todays stuff is epa garbage. I had to buy a modern computer system to assist in getting a diagnosis correct. All that’s needed is a engine com for EFI, map, tps and upstream O2.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only thing worse than having that much technology is when the dealer techs understand very little of it and immediately assume any electrical problem must be a computer problem. Like when the Chevy dealer was certain the reason the power mirrors weren't working on my Traverse was because of the $1500 body control module. Their "technician" spent a day on it to come up with that diagnosis and said the blown mirror fuse I had found was good. I got a Helm subscription and pulled up the wiring diagram to find out the power mirrors didn't go through the BCM at all, so he was full of it. It took me all of 20 minutes with a multimeter to find out that there was no power to the mirror switch until I replaced the blown fuse, and energizing the mirror motors directly with some clip leads showed they all worked perfectly. What was left? The mirror switch. Cracked it open, and found a contact had broken off inside, which had caused a short circuit. New switch from Amazon for $20, and the mirrors worked again. Yeah, let's go replace the $1500 body control module, that'll fix it.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
HighDesertRam

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Exactly why I keep my”old” 97 1500 4x4. For just around town I do not need an expensive new “electronic” truck.
Around town (population32,000) and when I hunt, I primarily use my diesel Roxor. Fun to drive, easy to park, good mileage, simple design. With the cab and heater, it's even comfortable in most colder weather. I don't take it out much if it's raining or snowing since people are not good drivers here and the Roxor has no air bags or other safety features. No navigation system (although I have a GPS mount), no radio, single windshield wiper, no back-up camera, etc. Top speed 55mph.Roxor with cab.jpeg

Native Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Complaining about electronics from your electronic device on the internet........ Seems ironic doesn't it?

While I'll agree that some of the "nanny" features are annoying you can't argue that electronics also allow us to have 1075lbft of torque and 410HP vs an old manual 12v that was 400lbft and 160HP (and they weren't without issues). (used a diesel as an example)

I'm in the old fart category so I'm all too familiar of driving vehicles without a lot of electronics. While it has some nostalgia I'll don't mind having some cool techy features and conveniences in these modern trucks. If you don't like it why did you buy it?, there are plenty of old trucks with little to no electronics out there so sell this one and find something that doesn't irritate you.

After having a 96 12v stolen (with a walk in workbed for my a/c business) I am now in a 02 VP44 24v with another walk in workbed. Would vastly prefer to get back to 12v but found a really good deal on the 02 and cannot afford to spend what it cost to get a 96-97 in the same condition. From talking to other 12v enthusiasts, it seems easy to get plenty of power out of one spending a lot less than the price of a new one.

OnTheTrails

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
Dont need.....Auto high/low beam
Lane assist
Auto wipers
Adaptive cruise ect cause its just makeing drivers lazy and tooo depandent on electronics to drive for them....
Most of the time the manufacturers are just adding gimmicks to try and keep the suckers buying new vehicles. What else can we add now? Here's a special arm that will reach out with a hanky when you need to blow your nose. Sometimes things can actually be helpful, although I've been driving for a long time and never needed a camera to backup - although I don't generally back trailers much.

People getting dependent on them could be one issue, but every single thing is just getting a higher-level of electronics added to control it. In 2005, we accepted that many electronics had been added, but it's gone way too far now, and will only get worse. People love computers.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Most of the time the manufacturers are just adding gimmicks to try and keep the suckers buying new vehicles. What else can we add now? Here's a special arm that will reach out with a hanky when you need to blow your nose. Sometimes things can actually be helpful, although I've been driving for a long time and never needed a camera to backup - although I don't generally back trailers much.

People getting dependent on them could be one issue, but every single thing is just getting a higher-level of electronics added to control it. In 2005, we accepted that many electronics had been added, but it's gone way too far now, and will only get worse. People love computers.
I tow and back trailers a lot. Like weekly, and have for years so I can speak from experience. I also use my mirrors, and that back-up camera is really irritating. It comes on automatically, even when I have the Uconnect system turned off, and it's distracting seeing it out of the corner of my eye. So, for the first couple weeks after I picked up the truck in March I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to override or disconnect it. The only way is to disconnect the plug at the tailgate, then I don't know what to do with that afterward and that also disables the light on the tailgate latch...which is kind of useful. I finally gave up and just stuck a piece of electrical tape over it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm thinking there are too many electronics in electronics.

Our old microwave is on death's door, so I'm shopping new under-the-cabinet models. WTAF do I want wi-fi and voice commands *on a microwave*? Legitimately, what's the use here? Unless it will Roomba the food to me once it's done, I'm still going to need my hands, right?

It won't Roomba the food to me, right? RIGHT?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an ancient Samsung MW machine, 1000 W. I will use dat puppy till the day it dies. And, I hate it when the truck talks back to me on some BS, I really do not need my kitchen appliances talking back, LMAO.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's no getting away from technology in new vehicles. I've been driving cars and trucks since 1976 when I was 13. Automotive technology has changed a lot since then, mostly for the better. There are a lot of things that I'd rather not have/pay for, but because of ordering options they couldn't be avoided.

If I could buy a fully reconditioned truck from the early 80's at what I consider a reasonable price, I'd jump at the chance. The biggest problem is a fully reconditioned 80's truck costs almost as much as a brand new truck. But if I did buy a reconditioned truck it would be wearing a bow tie instead of ram's horns for a truck from that era :driver:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's no getting away from technology in new vehicles. I've been driving cars and trucks since 1976 when I was 13. Automotive technology has changed a lot since then, mostly for the better. There are a lot of things that I'd rather not have/pay for, but because of ordering options they couldn't be avoided.

If I could buy a fully reconditioned truck from the early 80's at what I consider a reasonable price, I'd jump at the chance. The biggest problem is a fully reconditioned 80's truck costs almost as much as a brand new truck. But if I did buy a reconditioned truck it would be wearing a bow tie instead of ram's horns for a truck from that era :driver:
In 1980, we received rented K5 Blazers for our support and Security work for Lake Placid. They were pretty nice, but me thinks we were not so nice to those Blazers, LOL. And the 4WD in them suked, hee hee. But they were nice and provided via US Govt.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Without a doubt vehicles now a days light years in front of 60/70/80's vehicles. Some of the stuff is really nice, but I do miss my 68 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Just so easy to keep up and work on, lol. Tune up every 5K, tires, brakes when needed. Clean carb once in a while, oil, all the regular MX stuff, just was so much easier. Why I had a use for these oldie but goodie pieces of equipment:

IMG_0886.JPGIMG_0887.JPG

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Without a doubt vehicles now a days light years in front of 60/70/80's vehicles. Some of the stuff is really nice, but I do miss my 68 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Just so easy to keep up and work on, lol. Tune up every 5K, tires, brakes when needed. Clean carb once in a while, oil, all the regular MX stuff, just was so much easier. Why I had a use for these oldie but goodie pieces of equipment:

View attachment 523326View attachment 523327
I also own that exact tach/dwell meter, but a different timing gun. Sitting on the back of a shelf. Just can't bring myself to toss them.

My favorite car from back in the day was my '70 Cuda 340 Six Pack, until I blew it up. I put too big of a cam in it, it seems. ;-) Total junk compared to today's cars, but fun in it's heyday.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also own that exact tach/dwell meter, but a different timing gun. Sitting on the back of a shelf. Just can't bring myself to toss them.

My favorite car from back in the day was my '70 Cuda 340 Six Pack, until I blew it up. I put too big of a cam in it, it seems. ;-) Total junk compared to today's cars, but fun it's heyday.
Had 67 SS with 396 and 3 on tree. All manual, period. But it was a hoot, till we blew out a piston, dropped in a Built up 327 till it took it's last trip to the junkyard, LOL.