Does Size Really Mtter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smcken2973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemie 5.7
Yes. I am talking travel trailers. With my 1500 5.7 3.92 axle and 4wd crew cab. I have airbags and will hae a good wd set up. I am considering three different trailers. The Passport 2810bh comes in at 5200 dry and gvwr 7,300 and all but 32 feet. Has the sofa and double big bunks wife really wants. The Starcraft 27bhu is 6,300 dry and a gvwr of 7750. Has the same basic set up as Passport but a 2 year warranty, comes in at just over 33 ft.
The starcraft 26bhs has most of the features sofa and big double bunks but a nore cramped bedroom. 4900 dry, 6250 gvwr and is about 30.6 ft long.

I will be moving up from a trailer that is 20ft long. Will the difference of 1000 pounds or so and 1-2 feet make a big difference in my towing, backing up and those fun things. Don't want to screw up this decision. Let it rip boys. All the great people who chimed in on the Long TT thread give me a hand please.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
If your budget allows is go with the passport. Probably the nicer of the 3. As far as lengths, your only talking about a foot or so difference either way. You'll feel the added length behind you when traveling. Especially when semis are around you. Just be careful and smart you should be ok

OP
OP
S

smcken2973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemie 5.7
Unfortunately, DW really likes the longest and the heaviest. Plus we got a great price on it. The extra 3 feet worry me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
"You will only know the road, until you have travel on it." --- Lailah Gifty Akita

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

smcken2973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemie 5.7
Dang. That's deep. Just wish I knew what it meant!

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Just means you have to make wider turns. I use to haul around a 33' 8200 lb TT with a Silverado 1500 before I went to the 2500.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately, DW really likes the longest and the heaviest. Plus we got a great price on it. The extra 3 feet worry me.

DW ??

Death Wobble ??

Dang Wife ???

D_mb Wife ??

may need to spell it out..............................:roflsquared:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is your payload?
What is your cargo weight? (Wife, kid(s), misc)
What are the tongue weights?

Bags help manage sag, they don't actually increase your payload.

Are you still on P metric or upgraded to LT?

Do you have sway control? That light and that long, you will need it.

My guess is your trucks payload will be just enough using base/dry weight calculations. But probably exceeded by 3-500lbs on the scales when you have that camper and truck loaded up ready to camp.

Whether you think that is safe, that's up to you.

For an idea, with my set up and sticker weights my dry truck and tongue weight add to 8500lbs. On the scales ready to camp I was at 9200. Picked up 700lbs with family and cargo... just on my truck axles.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dang. That's deep. Just wish I knew what it meant!

Can't none of us drive yer rig for you. You know the road you wish to travel. You won't understand it 'til you do. Happy wife, happy life. Just plan on going every where at 55 mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Each of those are pretty long, and light. Semis passing, and wind will be white knuckle territory. A long, light trailer is a big sail because it has so much side area. As well. some state parks and older RV parks are tough to get around with a longer unit; it can limit where you camp unless you go off the grid. You WILL need a good quality WD hitch setup to tow safely. The bags help keep the geometry of your hitch consistent; they really help.

I don't know anything about Starcraft. We own a Passport and are pretty happy with it. It doesn't have all the high-end fancy finishings some trailers do but it's nice, and has been pretty solid. You'll get the cheap China bomb tires and what not that they all do nowadays but it should be good value overall.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Agree with above. A good WD hitch set up properly and you'll see no to very little sway. I spent 2-3 hrs one day setting up my hitch to manufacture specs and haven't had a problem.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with what everyone has said. I have pulled my setup crossing scales at 12500 gross, ready to camp. My trailer is 26'-6" bumper to ball, I have WD and sway control. Works well, but I do know when a truck passes me. Interstate speeds in Idaho are at 80 for passenger vehicles and 70 for large trucks. I usually drive at 65-68 and interestingly enough the trucks don't bother the air as much as the cars and pickups do, Since they typically pass at higher speeds they disrupt the airflow more and create more turbulance.

I would recommend getting a hitch with built in sway or double up on the sway controls. If you get the type like I have with round bars, get a head that has two sway ears and then two sway controls. They do make a difference.

OP
OP
S

smcken2973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemie 5.7
Thanks for all the answers and advice, most of you have a lot more experience with these trailers and I am hoping to gain some wisdom from your experience.

Yes, I will definately be getting a good hitch with sway control. Not having towed anything longer than 25 my question is, is there a significant difference with 1,000 pounds and 3-4 extra feet. All still within specs.

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the length is going to get you more than the weight. As stated, the longer trailer is going to act as a bigger sail. Wind will affect it more. Best thing is to just take it easy and be safe. Don't get is a hurry to get to your destination.

And don't forget the extra length when turning corners, changing lanes and backing up. I have towed this configuration and its really just a matter of remembering what is behind you.

2015-09-18 13.54.06-1.jpg

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
The few extra feet I went to has me back to rookie level when trying to maneuver around the campground. My 9 y/o spots better for me than my wife....