Doors lock by itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn 2wd
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the past few months my 2014 Ram 1500 will automatically lock the doors by itself.
I will hit the remote to unlock the doors, climb in and then they will automatically lock while the keys are still in my hand, and sometimes I can just be standing next to the truck, and it will lock all by itself.
Any idea why this is happening ? I've changed the remote battery thinking maybe that was it, but still does it...Thanks guys...

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am no help but if memory serves me right there have been a few threads on sight here about that !. Try the search box. I will also give the search a shot Please post whay you do find Thanks

found 1 so far, not sure it will help did not read it
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2014-ram-randomly-locking-itself.167084/

Might be so info here
https://www.ramforum.com/search/19875115/?q=door+lock&o=relevance

thanks much... i too have bad tpms sensors as one of the posts had also, so maybe that's it.... crazy to think that might be throwing the locks off... thanks again

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
thanks much... i too have bad tpms sensors as one of the posts had also, so maybe that's it.... crazy to think that might be throwing the locks off... thanks again
Hope it helps. I was hoping some of the gear heads would chime in

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
My 2018 did that numerous times when I first got it. I disabled auto lock, and it seems to have cured the problem. In some cases it also could be that you're accidentally hitting the button on your fob and don't realize it. But there were cases where I absolutely was sure I wasn't touching the button, and it would lock after I closed the door.

Speaking of fobs, there have been a number of people in my area that have had their cars broken into by people driving around with tools that can amplify their key fob signal, and open their vehicle. If you leave your fob hanging inside your front door etc. and it's within range of the truck, they can amplify the signal. And they also have scanners that can detect your frequency when you open the vehicle, and they can create a fob that will work.

I was just on Amazon ordering an RFID sleeve to keep my fob in, and I put my spare fob in a metal gun safe that I have. That will act like a faraday cage.

OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2018 did that numerous times when I first got it. I disabled auto lock, and it seems to have cured the problem. In some cases it also could be that you're accidentally hitting the button on your fob and don't realize it. But there were cases where I absolutely was sure I wasn't touching the button, and it would lock after I closed the door.

Speaking of fobs, there have been a number of people in my area that have had their cars broken into by people driving around with tools that can amplify their key fob signal, and open their vehicle. If you leave your fob hanging inside your front door etc. and it's within range of the truck, they can amplify the signal. And they also have scanners that can detect your frequency when you open the vehicle, and they can create a fob that will work.

I was just on Amazon ordering an RFID sleeve to keep my fob in, and I put my spare fob in a metal gun safe that I have. That will act like a faraday cage.
Thanks for the input...I'm certain I'm not hitting the fob accidentally..
How do I disable the auto lock function ?

Thanks for the heads up on the thieves..

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thanks for the input...I'm certain I'm not hitting the fob accidentally..
How do I disable the auto lock function ?

Thanks for the heads up on the thieves..

It's in settings on your Uconnect. I also disabled the horn honking when I lock it because that's annoying.

OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's in settings on your Uconnect. I also disabled the horn honking when I lock it because that's annoying.
Thanks, I will check the uconnect out..its an app correct ? Thanks again everyone

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has done this exact same thing for the last 5 years. I have no idea what it is. Im certain the key is nowhere near me, and every once in a while it will honk, flash lights and lock the doors, It could happen 5 minutes after I last drove it or 5 days. If you find a fix please post here.

OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK I went into my setting on my radio and changed some of the door locking items, now it wont lock at 15mph, also changed it to only unlock my drivers door when unlocking with the remote.... I'll let you guys know how it works in about a week, since it only use to mess up intermittently, not every time... thanks

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I got the RFID sleeves yesterday. I tested them and if I put the fob in the sleeve and press the buttons it will not open the truck. So I'm going to keep my main fob and keys and one of the sleeves, and I put my spare fob in the other sleeve. Now if those thieves come around here with a scanner they won't be able to get into my truck so easily.20210204_164800.jpg

OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay it's still doing it. I'm not going to mess with this anymore and just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't lock my keys inside one of these days. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I know a handful of people who had this issue and it was the master switch in the drivers side ... they had that replaced and problem solved ...

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Okay it's still doing it. I'm not going to mess with this anymore and just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't lock my keys inside one of these days. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it

When mine was doing it early on I used some Gorilla Tape to tape the physical key from my spare fob in a secret spot in my bed. Or just get a hide a key box. But it hasn't done it since I disabled the auto lock.

OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When mine was doing it early on I used some Gorilla Tape to tape the physical key from my spare fob in a secret spot in my bed. Or just get a hide a key box. But it hasn't done it since I disabled the auto lock.
Thank you...yes I need to out a hide a key somewhere also, just in case..

OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i forgot to update, i started using my spare remote key fob that was given to me at purchase, and that cured the problem, seems something was wrong with my old remote fob that was making it lock on its own... thanks everyone

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks for the Update

e3mrk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am no help but if memory serves me right there have been a few threads on sight here about that !. Try the search box. I will also give the search a shot Please post whay you do find Thanks

found 1 so far, not sure it will help did not read it
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2014-ram-randomly-locking-itself.167084/

Might be so info here
https://www.ramforum.com/search/19875115/?q=door+lock&o=relevance
I had the same problem so I changed to the spare key fob and it stopped,Turns out the fob was going bad.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I had the same problem so I changed to the spare key fob and it stopped,Turns out the fob was going bad.
Thanks for the reply and WELCOME to the group