Dreaded tailgate meets trailer jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck is a classic by the looks of it, meaning it's actually a 4th gen and does in fact have a steel tailgate. Your dealer buddy forgot to ask you if it was 4th (classic) or 5th gen (both have been sold at the same time since 2019).

And I believe all HD trucks both 4th and 5th gen have steel tailgates.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Left my '21 2500 tailgate down, towed the utility trailer, jack did the same to mine. Was quoted basically the same price for repair or replacement, around $1,100 (actually just a tad bit less for repair). I asked if replacement included sprayed bed liner coating...was told no...that I would have to find a place that did that (an additional cost) on my own. Had them repair what I had. Turned out great... expensive lesson.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 5th wheel grazed the top of the gate on my 2014 2500 and dented is very slightly. I replaced the plastic cap and have just lived with the handle assembly protruding out 1/8" or so. I also lost functionality of the lock. I remember thinking I could just pound it back out.... nope! The gates are super strong across the top.. probably due to all of us damaging them :) IIRC, there are several curved/ribbed support of steel in there that are VERY difficult to work with once they bend. I guess my point is I'd be looking at a replacement rather than expecting a repair.

OP
OP
Nuke71

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck is a classic by the looks of it, meaning it's actually a 4th gen and does in fact have a steel tailgate. Your dealer buddy forgot to ask you if it was 4th (classic) or 5th gen (both have been sold at the same time since 2019).

And I believe all HD trucks both 4th and 5th gen have steel tailgates.
Well what do ya know, did the magnet test and it stuck (should've done this in the first place) :rolleyes:. Called my buddy back at the dealership and he checked with the service manager, yep it's steel, not aluminum (hood is aluminum, tailgate is steel). My apologies for wasting your guys' time! I now have a appt at a body ship for Jan. 10 to get an estimate.

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
I had a tow hook hit my tailgate, When I can opened a Grand Pre frame trying to tow him out. It cost me 700 to have the tailgate fixed at a autobody shop I trusted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357