Drove an 8 sod ram yesterday...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaybo518

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The way it downshift going down hills is awesome. It's almost like having a engine brake.

The downshifting is my favorite part of the 8 speed. It's like having a manual and not having to shift. This trans and the 3.92 with LSD is an awesome combination and I can't wait to see how it runs this winter.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to have a slick shifting 6 speed manual, like I have in my Mustang.

I hated the 545RFE before I had 4.10s put in. With a CAI and a 91 Hemi Fever tune, I guess I'm rocking it old school. I don't use the Slap Stick all that much since the 4.10s. Tow/HaulAss gets the job done.

I won't argue that the 8 isn't a better tranny. It is. I'd like to give one a try. They're fast. But there just isn't anything wrong with a good ol 545 RFE/4.10 combo.

Except if you make any power they go boom

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Dial-up Internet Fan?

8 speed is probably the better tranny, but I'm just saying I don't feel like I'm suffering with the 6 speed at all.

My cousin used to say that about his 13K Dial-up, internet connection.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Okay, maybe not that sorry. Hard to type, laughing too hard, right now.

Okay, okay, control....alright. Whew.

seriously though, buddy has 6 speed. LIke it myself. Have no idea what my old V-10 2500 had, like whatever it was though.

This new 8 speed is different. Positively love the silky smooth shifts. Thing must be made by Parkay acct its smooth as butter. Really hate the annoyingly jerky low speed gearing when coming to stop sign. Almost like 4Low type of action, drives me bonkers.

Overall, call me impressed with it.

Dave

FYI, still chuckling over that dialup thingy.
sorry.
again.
Sorta, if it just wasn't so funny

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

seriously though, buddy has 6 speed. LIke it myself. Have no idea what my old V-10 2500 had, like whatever it was though.

This new 8 speed is different. Positively love the silky smooth shifts. Thing must be made by Parkay acct its smooth as butter. Really hate the annoyingly jerky low speed gearing when coming to stop sign. Almost like 4Low type of action, drives me bonkers.

Dave

there's supposed to be a software update to fix the clunky stops. haven't got it yet myself since my truck actually stopped doing it but a few people have reported a big improvement

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Dave

FYI, still chuckling over that dialup thingy.
sorry.
again.
Sorta, if it just wasn't so funny

That sounds about right. Good comparison ,it seems that most of the bad mouthing about the 8 speed is coming from the ones that don't have it.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there's supposed to be a software update to fix the clunky stops. haven't got it yet myself since my truck actually stopped doing it but a few people have reported a big improvement

Also with more miles it seems to get milder. I'm at 2400 miles now and it's not near as bad as it was when I first got the truck. I don't even notice it anymore. I'll have to see if it actually went away or I am just used to it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Please Explain

Except if you make any power they go boom

Powderbrad,
would you please explain that "go boom"?
Under a load, while towing?
Peeling out?
What exactly do you mean?

I had no idea the 8speed was a new tranny. Just knew gas mileage would be better with, than without, and since I really wanted the 3.92 LSD, figured it would be wise.

I did absolutely zero research, on this new little 1/2 ton Truckette, prior to purchase. I've bought Dodge for the last 30 years.

I almost always will look at Fords, even Chevy, but only half-heartedly. The Reality is simple, it would've taken a stunningly, wondrous, innovation, which Dodge lacked, for either of them to be a serious Contender.

Thanks,
Dave

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Powderbrad,
would you please explain that "go boom"?
Under a load, while towing?
Peeling out?
What exactly do you mean?

I had no idea the 8speed was a new tranny. Just knew gas mileage would be better with, than without, and since I really wanted the 3.92 LSD, figured it would be wise.

I did absolutely zero research, on this new little 1/2 ton Truckette, prior to purchase. I've bought Dodge for the last 30 years.

I almost always will look at Fords, even Chevy, but only half-heartedly. The Reality is simple, it would've taken a stunningly, wondrous, innovation, which Dodge lacked, for either of them to be a serious Contender.

Thanks,
Dave
He meant the 545rfe not your 8speed zf tranny...545rfe like to go boom or burn up all of its seals and were only rated for like 400ftlbs of torque for a number which was plenty back 10 years ago but now they are obsolete

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I drive a bunch of 8 speeds for work. I hate the rotary dial, I think Ram might have dropped the ball on that one.

Makes me glad I got my 13 when I did. I LOVE the 6 speed 3.92 combo.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I drive a bunch of 8 speeds for work. I hate the rotary dial, I think Ram might have dropped the ball on that one.

Makes me glad I got my 13 when I did. I LOVE the 6 speed 3.92 combo.

Exactly my point lmao !!!

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the 6sp in my 2012 and I liked it but there is no comparison to the 8sp. As has been said the 8 is buttery smooth. The rotary dial is a take it or leave thing for me no big deal.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i actually like the dial. it's no more or less functional then any other shifting method but not having the column does make cleaning around the steering wheel easier

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah I was on the fence at first, but it doesn't matter to me one way or another now. The dial is nice for extra space. You get used to it. I am more particular about the gear box than I am the shifting means.

The baby calculator buttons for manual gear selection on the steering wheel though... that's a whole other pain in the ass.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk