Dyno tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my truck my truck is a 2013 5 7 is there a programmer that supports HP or is HP pretty much a laptop flash only

HP doesn't supply a gadget for loading tunes and logging. It's a software program that runs on Windows. Hence, the need for the laptop.

wink

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
@wink, i get all that with the HP and torque. Im not talking stomping on the gas and having it tach up then shifting. I know there is a curve the HP and torque follows. Im talking about how this truck shifts with casual driving. Its like once the truck hits 20mph it shifts to third, hits 30 shifts to 4th etc. That is super low in the rpms when it shifts. I need the shift point pushed from shifting from 2nd to third at more like 30, 3rd to 4th at 40, etc. The truck will short shift all the time. UNLESS im stomping the gas to the floor. Examples i give are when turning at around 15. go to get back on it, it gets up to 18 or so and boom shifts to 3rd. You have to be pretty aggressive to get the truck to tach up the rpms. Its like one extreme or the other. Full throttle, max rpm shifts or short shifting for best mileage. I want more in between for normal driving. I know if i stomp on it what i will get. I dont want to have to stomp on it all the time to get it to get moving.

One day i was following a vehicle that was turning right to their house. We slow down to about 10+/-. They get off the road and i step on the gas to accelerate (its more like rolling into it vs stepping) decently (had a truck behind me), im in second and the truck starts to tach up (you know the sound these hemis make once it starts to get into the sweet spot of power), and boom, she short shifts into 3rd, falling on her face. Talk about embarrasing. I have a borla catback, so it makes it even worse. My previous 2 rams were the same way. They just dont want to tach up unless you are deep into the throttle. Shouldnt have to be this way. I have driven plenty of vehicles in my life, and they are all not like this. Im not looking to take the tach above the powerband. Just want each gear to get up over 2000 before shifting.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I thought you were talking about getting into the throttle. I'm not sure what programming is available in the 8 speeds. Talk to your tuner and see what he says. All I asked Johan to do to mine was reduce the torque management a little, but he might've tweaked some other stuff too. He just said try this tune, and it was exactly what I wanted.

wink

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i have not talked to any tuners yet (my mind is basically made up to go with Jay Greene based off feedback on here), but i cannot imagine this cannot be done if they can change other things within the stock programming. Something is telling the truck to shift, weather it be rpm or speed related. That just needs to be adjusted up. This is why i like having standards. I shift when i want to. At the end of the day it isnt a deal breaker. I love this truck and do enjoy the 8 speed. Just need it tweaked to my liking. I just love the way my truck sounds with this exhaust starting around 2500 rpm. I just dont want to be that guy around town hammering on his truck to sound bad ass, if you know what i mean.

Slo Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
One other thing you have to remember... fly by wire vehicles learn the driving habits of their owners. My truck very rarely shifts below 2500 rpms even with super light throttle. But i drive the hell out of it all day every day... my dads truck... which he babies... shifts early and drives like an old sluggish ****. A custom tuner can force this out by changing the paramiters the computer has "learned"

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@wink, i get all that with the HP and torque. Im not talking stomping on the gas and having it tach up then shifting. I know there is a curve the HP and torque follows. Im talking about how this truck shifts with casual driving. Its like once the truck hits 20mph it shifts to third, hits 30 shifts to 4th etc. That is super low in the rpms when it shifts. I need the shift point pushed from shifting from 2nd to third at more like 30, 3rd to 4th at 40, etc. The truck will short shift all the time. UNLESS im stomping the gas to the floor. Examples i give are when turning at around 15. go to get back on it, it gets up to 18 or so and boom shifts to 3rd. You have to be pretty aggressive to get the truck to tach up the rpms. Its like one extreme or the other. Full throttle, max rpm shifts or short shifting for best mileage. I want more in between for normal driving. I know if i stomp on it what i will get. I dont want to have to stomp on it all the time to get it to get moving.

One day i was following a vehicle that was turning right to their house. We slow down to about 10+/-. They get off the road and i step on the gas to accelerate (its more like rolling into it vs stepping) decently (had a truck behind me), im in second and the truck starts to tach up (you know the sound these hemis make once it starts to get into the sweet spot of power), and boom, she short shifts into 3rd, falling on her face. Talk about embarrasing. I have a borla catback, so it makes it even worse. My previous 2 rams were the same way. They just dont want to tach up unless you are deep into the throttle. Shouldnt have to be this way. I have driven plenty of vehicles in my life, and they are all not like this. Im not looking to take the tach above the powerband. Just want each gear to get up over 2000 before shifting.

Have you tried driving it around with tow/haul on? On my 16 tow/haul causes it to shift pretty much how you want.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Have you tried driving it around with tow/haul on? On my 16 tow/haul causes it to shift pretty much how you want.

this was one of the first things i tried. i drove it with th for a while. still down shifted early. i now just drive and shift manually 90% of the time. works until i can get a custom tune.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this was one of the first things i tried. i drove it with th for a while. still down shifted early. i now just drive and shift manually 90% of the time. works until i can get a custom tune.

Down shifted early or upshifted early? I thought your complaint was an early upshift.

On mine, tow/haul keeps it from upshifting as soon.

Also it is not speed related as much as load related. For example, light throttle, I am into 8th gear by 43 mph (3.92 gears). Even with any fairly minor throttle, mine will down shift to 7th quickly - more throttle will equal lower gears on the down shift.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Down shifted early or upshifted early? I thought your complaint was an early upshift.

On mine, tow/haul keeps it from upshifting as soon.

Also it is not speed related as much as load related. For example, light throttle, I am into 8th gear by 43 mph (3.92 gears). Even with any fairly minor throttle, mine will down shift to 7th quickly - more throttle will equal lower gears on the down shift.

yes. upshift. 2 to 3. 3 to 4 etc. sorry for the confusion. caused the engine to lug low rpm way too much.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surprised tow/haul didn't help. On mine it tends to keep the rpms at around 2000 rpms before shifting even with light throttle.
They do learn though and it could be the way you drive to a much larger degree than you think.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i dont doubt my driving style influences things. im more of a roll into it vs stab throttle guy. my commute is pretty simple, through a couple towns. so really just easy driving. i do get on it once in a while. i do miss the down shifting of tow haul. sounded so good with an exhaust

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat