E Fan ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
So far can not find info I am looking for in search so will ask!

2015 RAM 1500 Pentastar V6

Question is the fan 2 speed ?
About what Temperature does it kick in ?
My temp was about 212* and fan not running :O
Turn AC on and of course it kicks in,
BUT to me does not seem to be real strong/fast !
Seems only 1 speed only

Thanks I m heading back to the search box lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your fan is a variable speed fan. If you look at the connector for it it should have three wires. A large black, a large red and a third smaller wire that is Probably gray. The fan itself controls the fan speed so either the fan itself is going bad or the signal from the computer. If you’re turning the AC on in the fan kicks on full speed, there may be a problem with the fan itself.
Don’t quote me though. I’m not sure how they programmed the fans in your truck model

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thank You ,, It was not running at about 212/215 but a few seconds after putting on AC it started ! To me it seem weak air flow
Ill get it checked out

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank You ,, It was not running at about 212/215 but a few seconds after putting on AC it started ! To me it seem weak air flow
Ill get it checked out
It should run at a really low speed based on factory programming but idk what temp corresponds to what fan speed. I know the v6 gets somewhere 220° so may want to let it hit 220° and see if the fan kicks on full blast

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It should run at a really low speed based on factory programming but idk what temp corresponds to what fan speed. I know the v6 gets somewhere 220° so may want to let it hit 220° and see if the fan kicks on full blast
Good info Ill be using the truck again tomorrow so will check that Thanks

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Jeep with the 3.6 when driving hard would run up to 236°. That was the hottest I’ve ever seen it get up to, and that was going up a long steep hill and pushing it real hard. The Jeep forums always said these motors run hot like that. On hot summer days here after a thirty mile drive the fans would be full speed and pretty loud.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My Jeep with the 3.6 when driving hard would run up to 236°. That was the hottest I’ve ever seen it get up to, and that was going up a long steep hill and pushing it real hard. The Jeep forums always said these motors run hot like that. On hot summer days here after a thirty mile drive the fans would be full speed and pretty loud.
Mine was at 220+ at 60* so that is what bugged me! Thanks

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a 22 Classic with the V6.

While in motion, the temp seems to max out around 203. In traffic or idle, the temp rises really FAST. That got me thinking about the operation of the fan so I let the truck idle in my driveway with the hood open. The fan didn't kick on until the temp reached the high 220's. I doubt that the fan is variable speed.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

While in motion, the temp seems to max out around 203. In traffic or idle, the temp rises really FAST. That got me thinking about the operation of the fan so I let the truck idle in my driveway with the hood open. The fan didn't kick on until the temp reached the high 220's. I doubt that the fan is variable speed.
Good info , Thanks I did the same thing and noticed the same as you !
As for Multi speed fan it does have 3 wires going to it! 1 Ground and I assume wires for High and Low

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3rd smaller wire is the signal from the computer which tells the fan what speed to run at. You have a ground, a positive, and a signal wire.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I may know a thing or 2 about the fans. Installed one in my truck.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/pwm-fan-in-4th-gen.199179/

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The 3rd smaller wire is the signal from the computer which tells the fan what speed to run at. You have a ground, a positive, and a signal wire.
I wonder if there is a way to make the fan run at high speed on demand :) Thanks for the info

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if there is a way to make the fan run at high speed on demand :) Thanks for the info
Would likely require tuning the pcm. I’m not sure how much is involved going through the actual pcm for tuning that fan but I would guess hp tuners should be able to

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You and me both are wondering that. At least medium speed would help.

If you turn on the A/C, the fan will run at a lower speed. I use Max A/C, but don't know if it makes a difference in the fan or not.

I do that when at stop lights that take a few minutes. I did it yesterday and was able to hold 201-204 deg.

Much better than the 224 I hit a couple of weeks ago idling for several minutes after climbing a long, steep mountain. And that was with the A/C on.

I don't think the fan hit high until around 224.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could order the module I’m running. It’s can be ordered to whatever thermostat temp. It can also be ordered with a switched wire. That way you can turn the fan on with a switch. That way you don’t have to look into getting a tune. I would also look into the newer fifth GEN hemi style fan as it uses a bigger blade and is a direct mount as well. I think the motor is a little bigger on it though.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
You could order the module I’m running. It’s can be ordered to whatever thermostat temp. It can also be ordered with a switched wire. That way you can turn the fan on with a switch. That way you don’t have to look into getting a tune. I would also look into the newer fifth GEN hemi style fan as it uses a bigger blade and is a direct mount as well. I think the motor is a little bigger on it though.
Thanks Never even thought about adding a Hemi Fan to the Pentastar V6 off a 5th gen or a 4th Gen
Is it plug and play or do you need to change the plug ?
Thanks

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Good info Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Never even thought about adding a Hemi Fan to the Pentastar V6 off a 5th gen or a 4th Gen
Thanks
The pentastar fan and 5th gen hemi fan use the same plug.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks
4th gen won't work as it isn't PWM like the V6 is - 4th gen hemi is on or off. AT LEAST THE NON CLASSIC 4TH GENS - not sure whether the classics have a crank fan still or not.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
4th gen won't work as it isn't PWM like the V6 is - 4th gen hemi is on or off. AT LEAST THE NON CLASSIC 4TH GENS - not sure whether the classics have a crank fan still or not.
Thank you