Eco Diesel vs Pentastar 3.6 MPG Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CKH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The ecodiesel is slower and less cost effective than the Pentastar. Less powerful than the Hemi, yet more expensive than both???

It has more torque than the hemi, not by much but it is more. It may be slower than a pentastar...BUT, let's not forget how friendly a turbo diesel is to modding. Bolt on performance parts yield greater power and torque gains than in gas engines. And tuners, don't forget about those. When tuning is available for the ecodiesel, those who purchased them will be smiling from ear to ear.

SHNNGNS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
Pentastar V6
I'll throw my two cents in since I just made this comparison when deciding what to buy. In my heart, I so wanted the diesel. But on paper it just doesn't work. I checked out fuel economy.gov for price comparisons based on my personal driving habits of 60% city and 12000 miles per year and gas and diesel prices in my area. The diesel just couldn't provide a savings. Also, the diesel is $4000 more than the V6 and $2850 more than the V8. So the initial math in this thread is even further off since it was diesel vs V6. I don't tow and can't see the need to spend thousands more on an engine that I personally doubt will be as reliable as the simple pentastar. Interestingly enough, I did trade my wife's gas 328 BMW in for a diesel 328 last week. Only $1500 more for diesel and fuel economy increases 10 mpg. One year and it pays for itself. That makes diesel sense!

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What confuses me is why does it have to make sense? If someone wants the low end immediate torque of the diesel then go for it. I think my next one will be a diesel even though the company pays my fuel. If we only did what makes sense on paper this world would be one boring place! I don't drive a Longhorn, a Hemi 300C and a 5.7L Camaro because they make sense on paper. :Stupid Me: I do it because I want to. :Big Laugh:

SHNNGNS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
Pentastar V6
To some it has to make sense financially. I can't see throwing $4000 more into the truck to gain me nothing more than some low end torque. I don't find the v6 disappointing and feel like I'm already ahead without having to drive 120,000 miles first. Granted, if I wanted life to be boring I'd be driving a truck with vinyl seats and an am radio, but that's pushing it!

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
If you spend half of your time towing that much of a load I'd have to imagine a 2500 cummins would make
more sense longevity wise. With the 3.42 rear end or whatever it is
Theyre known for doing 19-20 mpg highway empty and 14-15 mpg towing. I'd have a hard time imagining with a 7k lb trailer the ecodiesel would be more efficient than the 6.7. I could easily be wrong though. I'm considering trading my pentastar in on an ecodiesel because I put on 30k+ miles per year and want to maintain my value better... Admittedly, I'm a cummins fan as they employ me.
I've a buddy with a Cummins 6.7 that tows the same size and weight enclosed trailer as I on the same routes and same speed. He gets 12mpg. The towing reviews strongly support 25% or better mileage with the ecodiesel. That's based on a direct towing comparison with the 6.7.

I tow to a race track 400-800mi round trip each month. Once or twice/yr I'll go to a distant track and the distance will be 3-3500mi round trip. That's a lot of diesel.

The truck is 50% tow vehicle because the other car is a classic I try to keep out of the rain. I expect the Ecodiesel to get double the mpg of a 3/4 diesel in DD mode. Finally, I'll get the comfortable 1500 ride.

I've been spending $500/mo on diesel lately. I'm figuring I'm about to save $150/month and all I have to do is not load the bed of the truck up when I tow. And, ah, buy some air bags.

In terms of longevity, you make a good point. Frankly, I don't trust any of the diesel engines of the last decade. There's been no design stability because each mfr is being forced to react to increasing regulation. As a result, any diesel I own would have to be under a full warranty. Since it's under warranty, the fact that the Cummins would last longer under the strain of towing my trailer becomes less of an issue. Hopefully I'll never end up stranded on the side of the road with head blown off or failed HG. Knock on wood.

A gas engine truck was never an option. The DD mileage would be ok, but a big V8 gasser will 7mpg pulling my trailer and the Ford Ecoboost 8. That's no win.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've a buddy with a Cummins 6.7 that tows the same size and weight enclosed trailer as I on the same routes and same speed. He gets 12mpg. The towing reviews strongly support 25% or better mileage with the ecodiesel. That's based on a direct towing comparison with the 6.7.

I tow to a race track 400-800mi round trip each month. Once or twice/yr I'll go to a distant track and the distance will be 3-3500mi round trip. That's a lot of diesel.

The truck is 50% tow vehicle because the other car is a classic I try to keep out of the rain. I expect the Ecodiesel to get double the mpg of a 3/4 diesel in DD mode. Finally, I'll get the comfortable 1500 ride.

I've been spending $500/mo on diesel lately. I'm figuring I'm about to save $150/month and all I have to do is not load the bed of the truck up when I tow. And, ah, buy some air bags.

In terms of longevity, you make a good point. Frankly, I don't trust any of the diesel engines of the last decade. There's been no design stability because each mfr is being forced to react to increasing regulation. As a result, any diesel I own would have to be under a full warranty. Since it's under warranty, the fact that the Cummins would last longer under the strain of towing my trailer becomes less of an issue. Hopefully I'll never end up stranded on the side of the road with head blown off or failed HG. Knock on wood.

A gas engine truck was never an option. The DD mileage would be ok, but a big V8 gasser will 7mpg pulling my trailer and the Ford Ecoboost 8. That's no win.

Hope it works out well for you. I've been trying to get quoted on an ecodiesel myself the past 2 weeks and they can't even quote or order them lol.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

I sold my 2500 cummins which was getting 15mpg combined, it was a beautiful truck but O2 sensor problems made me sell it, 38 days in the shop the first year of ownership. I could have fixed the truck my self by doing deletes by did not wish to take a chance voiding my warranty on a problem truck since day one.

In 11/15/13 I purchased A 14 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 3.0 eco diesel.Now at 4500 miles I am getting 27 mpg combined on my last tank full of fuel.

ON EDIT: MY Jeep Has the trailer tow package with automatic load leveling rear shocks and sway control, it is rated to pull 7400lbs! I do not think I would want that much weight behind this Jeep. But I will try and pull right at 6000lbs sooner or later this year moving one of my milling machines,of course I have WD hitch with sway control built in it

Supposedly the 5gallon of DEF Fluid is suppose to match needing filled at the same time as oil changes are due which is every 7500 -10,000 miles depending on what the oil life sensor tells you.The torque of the diesel is toxic (FUN) and still get 27 mpg when having some fun at stop lights.

Def fluid can be bought at walmart,auto parts,truck stops for $13.00 per 2 1/2 gallon jug.

MY motor is quite it does not sound at all like a typical diesel,in fact most people probably do not realize its a diesel!!

I pulled my 5x8 trailer 650 miles with 600lb on it running 65-75 up the interstate and got 26mpg. Return empty mpg went to 28 mpg and down hill from NY to SC. HAHA

I got to play some in the snow in NY they had 42" over night while I was there. The Jeep with stock Michelin Latitude tires had no problems coming up out of my friends shop driveway. Driving a Diesel in the snow takes some getting use to because you must drive it differently because of all the torque. The best way I found was to select the correct gear and just let the diesel pull it self with out much throttle input.

The best mpg I have seen so far was a trip up the interstate running 70-75 and got 32 mpg with the cruise set,my jeep is 4x4 with off road II package meaning it is awd/quadatrack.

The 3.0 eco motor has been in europe and australia for almost 4 years with good proven track record.

Of course they do not have all the EPA BS on their vehicle so they are getting much better mpg.

So far my jeep has been to the shop 1 time, free oil/filter change,uconnect update,and a PCM update were all done at this one trip.

If I have no problems this first year I will have no worries or problems thinking seriously about deletes to let the motor have longevity and run the way it was designed with out EPA BS.

Since I live in a state with no inspection or smog inspection.

MY neighbor had basically the same jeep as I have but the had the 3.6 pentastar and was getting about 22-24mpg combined.

So my ECO Diesel does 3-4 mpg better than their 3.6.

Last edited:

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
You can't get a pentastar in the higher end models can you?

They just started offering the Pentastar across the full 1500 range, although my dealer couldn't get it listed with a CC 6'4 bed, but it was in a Laramie CC 5'7. Didn't check Longhorn or Limited as I don't want to spend that much.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
Hello Guys,

I sold my 2500 cummins which was getting 15mpg combined, it was a beautiful truck but O2 sensor problems made me sell it, 38 days in the shop the first year of ownership. I could have fixed the truck my self by doing deletes by did not wish to take a chance voiding my warranty on a problem truck since day one.

In 11/15/13 I purchased A 14 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 3.0 eco diesel.Now at 4500 miles I am getting 27 mpg combined on my last tank full of fuel.

ON EDIT: MY Jeep Has the trailer tow package with automatic load leveling rear shocks and sway control, it is rated to pull 7400lbs! I do not think I would want that much weight behind this Jeep. But I will try and pull right at 6000lbs sooner or later this year moving one of my milling machines,of course I have WD hitch with sway control built in it

Supposedly the 5gallon of DEF Fluid is suppose to match needing filled at the same time as oil changes are due which is every 7500 -10,000 miles depending on what the oil life sensor tells you.The torque of the diesel is toxic (FUN) and still get 27 mpg when having some fun at stop lights.

Def fluid can be bought at walmart,auto parts,truck stops for $13.00 per 2 1/2 gallon jug.

MY motor is quite it does not sound at all like a typical diesel,in fact most people probably do not realize its a diesel!!

I pulled my 5x8 trailer 650 miles with 600lb on it running 65-75 up the interstate and got 26mpg. Return empty mpg went to 28 mpg and down hill from NY to SC. HAHA

I got to play some in the snow in NY they had 42" over night while I was there. The Jeep with stock Michelin Latitude tires had no problems coming up out of my friends shop driveway. Driving a Diesel in the snow takes some getting use to because you must drive it differently because of all the torque. The best way I found was to select the correct gear and just let the diesel pull it self with out much throttle input.

The best mpg I have seen so far was a trip up the interstate running 70-75 and got 32 mpg with the cruise set,my jeep is 4x4 with off road II package meaning it is awd/quadatrack.

The 3.0 eco motor has been in europe and australia for almost 4 years with good proven track record.

Of course they do not have all the EPA BS on their vehicle so they are getting much better mpg.

So far my jeep has been to the shop 1 time, free oil/filter change,uconnect update,and a PCM update were all done at this one trip.

If I have no problems this first year I will have no worries or problems thinking seriously about deletes to let the motor have longevity and run the way it was designed with out EPA BS.

Since I live in a state with no inspection or smog inspection.

MY neighbor had basically the same jeep as I have but the had the 3.6 pentastar and was getting about 22-24mpg combined.

So my ECO Diesel does 3-4 mpg better than their 3.6.

Thanks for the info. Towing a decent load, I bet your ecodiesel would get 3x the mpg of your neighbor's Pentastar.

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish I got the diesel over hemi. Hemi is fun and fast but the mpg are horrible in city.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Amen. I'll swallow the up front cost. My 12.1mpg city with my hemi depresses me. Just seeing evic read out 20+mpg will make me happy.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
Amen. I'll swallow the up front cost. My 12.1mpg city with my hemi depresses me. Just seeing evic read out 20+mpg will make me happy.

Lol, my chevy 5.3 def did better in the city. It's sad when I hit the throttle I can visually see the gas tank gauge go down lol. Dealer didn't have a diesel and are hard to find. I thought about v6 but couldn't see my self drive a v6. Now looking back maybe I could of. The v6 and 8 spd do move, not a slouch. But I will have a diesel next time.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk