Ecodiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I'm not sure jelly is the right word here lol. It's a 4k dollar upgrade, i don't really think people dropping 50k on a truck have an issue spending an extra 4k. The issue is not that we don't have the money, it's that most people don't want to spend a premium on an underpowered engine in a 6k pound truck. Your gas mileage won't break even on what the hemi does in gas for at least 100k miles.

not everyone pays msrp man, they were being let go 20k off msrp laramies all day where i got mine from.

the hemi was literally like 500 cheaper, that premium is not 4k in real life. You break even and start winning the mpg game alot earlier then you think. Then if you lift or tow you make it back and start winning even faster.

I did the math when i traded in my 14 quad cab hemi 4x4 big horn, the laramie ecodiesel crew cab 4x4 is a nicer ride, fuel filters oil changes and def usage does not mean **** when diesel is close to gas prices now and i am getting easily 8-10+ mpg on the normal commute

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The only thing that really kept me from getting the ED is the power as I really wanted the zip that the Hemi offered.

Yeah they cost more on the window sticker but who pays sticker and the fact all the EPA crap that went on drove the EDs price down.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
You guys are HILARIUS. So lets clear up some non-sense that is consistently posted around here with zero merit.

First, my 2015 ED Limited model was the EXACT SAME PRICE ($42k with 20k miles on it) as the Hemi Limited model sitting right next to it. Both Black, both Limited, both with Ram boxes, both $42k and change. It is not a $5k upgrade. Even the sticker price on brand new ones when I was looking was a $2,200 upgrade, HOWEVER, the larger hemi at the time was also something like $1,500 upgrade. So the difference in the price out the door was negligible in reality.

My ED gets 22 to 24MPG around town, and above 25 on the hwy. I won't even post the economy #'s of the hemi. Maintenance is exactly the same, it's the same $90 to change the oil and filters at the dealerships here on LI.

There are no "Special Ecodiesel mechanic" that is required that is on high demand and far and few between. LOL! The RAM mechanics are given a one time training on the Ecodiesel, as they are with any other motor, including your beloved hemi. There are 3 Ram dealerships within 30 miles of my house, all will work on the ED and do so on a daily basis. There is nothing "magical" about working on a diesel. In fact, they are much easier to work on if you simply understand them (aka have been trained on them).

The non-sense of the "failures daily"... "the ED is blowing up all over".... "Ram will not warranty the ED.... it took 2 years to get my truck back". This is all very funny.

FYI, there is a SHOP full of Hemi's getting worked on all day, every day, at ALL of the Ram dealerships. So if you want to talk about failures, please go walk around the shops and see what they are working on! LOL ALL motors have issues, that is just a fact of manufacturing defects. And, ALL motors have issues especially when they first released. I can't even remember the last time a new model vehicle came out and 6 months later everyone wasn't jumping up and down saying the motor or vehicle was a failure because of a problem.... it is then quickly resolved and the vehicle goes on to service the public for many many years. And the same went for the ED, which is now a rock solid power plant that delivers more power, more torque and gets better fuel economy with a quieter ride.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are HILARIUS.
No, you are. Lol. And it’s HILARIOUS....

My ED gets 22 to 24MPG around town, and above 25 on the hwy. I won't even post the economy #'s of the hemi.
That’s because that’s one of the areas where diesels outshine the gassers. They get really good mileage. This is no secret. This has been this way for a long time. Everybody who knows even the least little bit about cars and trucks knows this.

But to retort your borderline snide comment about attempting to discredit the Hemi on fuel mileage, a lot of people have reported good mileage with the later model Hemi’s. I don’t get particularly good mileage with mine, because I have a very heavy right foot.

Maintenance is exactly the same, it's the same $90 to change the oil and filters at the dealerships here on LI.
Maintenance is exactly the same?? Hmm. You’re remark is immediately flawed right off the bat because for one, the Hemi doesn’t have a fuel filter that needs to be changed.

As far as cost comparison between the two of paying someone else to do it at the dealership for example, I really can’t speak on this, my own or the ED because I do my own oil changes and probably the one and only time that my truck’s oil was changed at the dealership was the free one they give you. I’ve never owned an ED, not do I know anyone who does so whatever the cost is that a Dodge place would charge is completely debatable.

The non-sense of the "failures daily"... "the ED is blowing up all over".... "Ram will not warranty the ED.... it took 2 years to get my truck back". This is all very funny.

FYI, there is a SHOP full of Hemi's getting worked on all day, every day, at ALL of the Ram dealerships. So if you want to talk about failures, please go walk around the shops and see what they are working on! LOL ALL motors have issues, that is just a fact of manufacturing defects. And, ALL motors have issues especially when they first released. I can't even remember the last time a new model vehicle came out and 6 months later everyone wasn't jumping up and down saying the motor or vehicle was a failure because of a problem.... it is then quickly resolved and the vehicle goes on to service the public for many many years. And the same went for the ED, which is now a rock solid power plant that delivers more power, more torque and gets better fuel economy with a quieter ride.

Why does it seem as though you think we are attacking the ED’s? Sounds to me like you got an underlying problem with the gassers and are sounding like you’re presenting your subject matter like you’re suggesting the Eco Diesel is the greatest thing since sliced bread...lol. Which, for the record, I’m not ******* the ED at all. Matter of fact, as I said many, many posts ago, I actually considered one when I was figuring out my future new truck but quickly decided against it because of, yep... you guessed it, all that California-based emissions crap they started making diesel manufacturers back in 2007 put on the engines. That, and two, because I was looking at purchasing a 2018 and uh, since that ******** with the EPA suing Chrysler over improper emissions numbers or whatever the hell it was- (it’s not important) so you couldn’t even get one unless it was late 2017 to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are HILARIUS. So lets clear up some non-sense that is consistently posted around here with zero merit.

First, my 2015 ED Limited model was the EXACT SAME PRICE ($42k with 20k miles on it) as the Hemi Limited model sitting right next to it. Both Black, both Limited, both with Ram boxes, both $42k and change. It is not a $5k upgrade. Even the sticker price on brand new ones when I was looking was a $2,200 upgrade, HOWEVER, the larger hemi at the time was also something like $1,500 upgrade. So the difference in the price out the door was negligible in reality.

My ED gets 22 to 24MPG around town, and above 25 on the hwy. I won't even post the economy #'s of the hemi. Maintenance is exactly the same, it's the same $90 to change the oil and filters at the dealerships here on LI.

There are no "Special Ecodiesel mechanic" that is required that is on high demand and far and few between. LOL! The RAM mechanics are given a one time training on the Ecodiesel, as they are with any other motor, including your beloved hemi. There are 3 Ram dealerships within 30 miles of my house, all will work on the ED and do so on a daily basis. There is nothing "magical" about working on a diesel. In fact, they are much easier to work on if you simply understand them (aka have been trained on them).

Yea these stories are hilarious, that is unless they are happening to you.

When my lawsuit is settled , I will be glad to share the paperwork for 25k ish in repairs and the 9 plus months in the shop out of the roughly 30 months that I owned it.

Oh and all the documentation was printed out by my dealership for me and my attorney, So it's not made up.

And as far as I have been informed the only change that has been made since the ecodiesel was introduced, is what weight oil to run in it. Now that's not to say they didnt change something and not make it public. That would be self admitting something was wrong.

The fact that I have documentation stating that they would only give me a 12 month 12k mile warranty on a factory brand new ( not remanufactured ) engine, even though my vehicle still had the better part of 3 years and 50k miles left on the factory powertrain warranty, should tell you something. So at that point I had a factory powertrain warranty that they would not honor.

No one ever said they were all bad. But it is pretty evident that the ratio of bad ones to good ones is way higher then with the hemi .

If you have one that is performing correctly, then be happy and enjoy the fuel mileage. Those of us that have had them and had problems are enjoying the headache free hemi life.

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Lol...this guy.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
So Corneileous says he does not want to bash the ED, then spends 3 paragraphs of unrelated non-sense to explain why they are terrible and he would never buy one.

That's hilarious! Thanks for the spelling tip!

Joes1500, as mentioned previously, they ALL have problems. My F-150 spent more time in for service replacing the tranny 3 times and replacing the head twice before I hit 60k on it then I'd like to admit. That doesn't mean that truck had millions of failures! I happened to get bad luck with it, I had many a friends who had no issues with there F150's. My ED now has 50k on it, and I have done nothing to it (knock knock knock on wood!) ;) except change the oil. So while you may have had legitimate issues like I did with my F150, that does not mean they are "all" failures. This is the problem with the internet jockeys, the ones with issues jump up and down and scream ****** murder and 1/2 the people reading the non-sense actually believe it to the point of repeating it themselves without having any real knowledge of the subject other than reading what a few pissed off guys posted complaining.

If you look at the actual statistics, there is not a higher rate of failure on the ED. Oh, there was in the first year they came out, but since I haven't herd any "real" failures recently, nor has the head mechanic at my dealership who I happened to be related to. They had 1 failure in 2014, one of the first ones they sold, and that was it. Granted, they admitted they had only sold less than 100 of those first year trucks. They had since sold 1000's of them, and I see them all over the Rd. here on LI. When I was shopping, my cousins advice/statement was "the ED is an awesome motor, the problems they had when they first came out were resolved". Being he is in the shop working on Rams all day long, 300 days a year, in one of the busiest Ram dealerships in the country, I think he knows what he is talking about.

It's a great motor, that gets great MPG with an awesome amount of power that will likely be around for a long time. Again, more power, less noise, and MUCH better MPG. Who knew!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So Corneileous says he does not want to bash the ED, then spends 3 paragraphs of unrelated non-sense to explain why they are terrible and he would never buy one.

I don’t know why I’m even bothering anymore with your erroneous, argumentative babble but where did I say the Eco was terrible? And you say I spent 3 paragraphs doing it? Hmm. Don’t know which discussion you’re talking about but it sure doesn’t seem to be this one.

And further more, I never said I would never buy one, but the reason I stated why didn’t when it came to the end of my new truck pre-planning was because of the Kommiefornia emissions crap- I feel like I’ve said this already a time or two.... hmmm.... I’m having a serious case of Déjà vu...lol, that the EPA requires to be on all modern-day diesel motors. It has NOTHING else to do with it. Well, on a side note, and this is just my humble little opinion but if it wasn’t for all that EPA crap, I’d just assume buy a Cummins over that because if I need to do the work of a diesel, I’d just rather go full-out and get at least the 3/4-ton CTD, but that’s just me.

No, you’re hilarious. No gratuity needed for the spelling tip...[emoji41]

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t know why I’m even bothering anymore with your erroneous, argumentative babble but where did I say the Eco was terrible? And you say I spent 3 paragraphs doing it? Hmm. Don’t know which discussion you’re talking about but it sure doesn’t seem to be this one.

And further more, I never said I would never buy one, but the reason I stated why didn’t when it came to the end of my new truck pre-planning was because of the Kommiefornia emissions crap- I feel like I’ve said this already a time or two.... hmmm.... I’m having a serious case of Déjà vu...lol, that the EPA requires to be on all modern-day diesel motors. It has NOTHING else to do with it. Well, on a side note, and this is just my humble little opinion but if it wasn’t for all that EPA crap, I’d just assume buy a Cummins over that because if I need to do the work of a diesel, I’d just assume go full-out and get at least the 3/4-ton CTD, but that’s just me.

No, you’re hilarious. No gratuity needed for the spelling tip...[emoji41]

And since we are all doing the mine is bigger than yours over spelling.......

it's "I'd just as soon"....not assume....................

meaning you would just as soon buy the cummins over the ecodiesel, which indicates you don't care which you get.....until you state why later
:happy160:

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apples and oranges
0b20fe32da954f3e0135b3a3675ebfdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And since we are all doing the mine is bigger than yours over spelling.......

it's "I'd just as soon"....not assume....................

meaning you would just as soon buy the cummins over the ecodiesel, which indicates you don't care which you get.....until you state why later
:happy160:

On the contrary tho.... I mean, though...lol. Easy, now.

You’re talking grammar, not spelling. There’s a difference...[emoji6]

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You’re talking grammar, not spelling. There’s a difference...[emoji6]

Well, if you meant to type 'as soon', and typed 'assume' instead, it could be spelling or grammar......but if you didn't know, could be grammar and/or spelling.......or it could have been auto correct.........but now we know it wasn't.

:D

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The ED is rated at 240hp and 420 lbs.

The Hemi is rated at 395hp and 415lbs

The ED is not more powerfull 5lbs is not near enough to claim that..lol

The only noise my Hemi makes is out the tail pipes, its also a noise that is music to most..lol

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
corneileous said:

You’re talking grammar, not spelling. There’s a difference...

Well, if you meant to type 'as soon', and typed 'assume' instead, it could be spelling or grammar......but if you didn't know, could be grammar and/or spelling.......or it could have been auto correct.........but now we know it wasn't.

[emoji1]

But, still... it doesn’t matter man, it was just a bad choice of words on my part that you so happily pointed out to the world, that’s all- but..... I didn’t misspell anything, though....[emoji18]

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ED is rated at 240hp and 420 lbs.

The Hemi is rated at 395hp and 415lbs

The ED is not more powerfull 5lbs is not near enough to claim that..lol

The only noise my Hemi makes is out the tail pipes, its also a noise that is music to most..lol

I thought about stating that but under grounds of not trying to go against what I was saying, I didn’t want it to sound like I was ******* the Eco...Lol.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its just the facts, just like the ED whoops butt on mileage.
Just it does not have more power and is kinda for off on the HP department.

FCA really did a good job building their motor line up they have a great motor for most everyone to enjoy with how they want to use it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure where this thread is going. If I wanted the ecodiesel, I would get one. Wouldn't waste time trying to explain my reasons to anyone that thinks it's a waste.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its just the facts, just like the ED whoops butt on mileage.
Just it does not have more power and is kinda for off on the HP department.

FCA really did a good job building their motor line up they have a great motor for most everyone to enjoy with how they want to use it.

Couldn’t agree more...[emoji41]

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Joes1500, as mentioned previously, they ALL have problems. My F-150 spent more time in for service replacing the tranny 3 times and replacing the head twice before I hit 60k on it then I'd like to admit. That doesn't mean that truck had millions of failures! I happened to get bad luck with it, I had many a friends who had no issues with there F150's. My ED now has 50k on it, and I have done nothing to it (knock knock knock on wood!) ;) except change the oil. So while you may have had legitimate issues like I did with my F150, that does not mean they are "all" failures. This is the problem with the internet jockeys, the ones with issues jump up and down and scream ****** murder and 1/2 the people reading the non-sense actually believe it to the point of repeating it themselves without having any real knowledge of the subject other than reading what a few pissed off guys posted complaining.

If you look at the actual statistics, there is not a higher rate of failure on the ED. Oh, there was in the first year they came out, but since I haven't herd any "real" failures recently, nor has the head mechanic at my dealership who I happened to be related to. They had 1 failure in 2014, one of the first ones they sold, and that was it. Granted, they admitted they had only sold less than 100 of those first year trucks. They had since sold 1000's of them, and I see them all over the Rd. here on LI. When I was shopping, my cousins advice/statement was "the ED is an awesome motor, the problems they had when they first came out were resolved". Being he is in the shop working on Rams all day long, 300 days a year, in one of the busiest Ram dealerships in the country, I think he knows what he is talking about.

It's a great motor, that gets great MPG with an awesome amount of power that will likely be around for a long time. Again, more power, less noise, and MUCH better MPG. Who knew!

Since you want to continue this and did not read what I posted. I specifically said that they are not all bad .

But here are some real statistics for you.

At the time of the lawsuit mid 2017, there were approximately 104,000 eco diesels that had been sold. That includes Grand Cherokees and Ram 1500s. There is documentation from FCA that can be found with a little google search on the failure rate which was 16 units a week and was going up. At one point it was almost 20%.

So that being said , that is roughly 20,000 failures out of 104,000 sold. That's not very good.

I have no idea how many hemis are out there. But they were available in several vehicles. So there would have had to been multiple millions of them sold in the same time period. I dont believe for a minute that the failure rate on the hemi is near 20%.

And if your buddy's dealership did truly sell thousands of them then he either lied to you about how many failures they have seen or they have the best luck of any dealer. Because the numbers dont statistically favor what he is saying.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But, still... it doesn’t matter man, it was just a bad choice of words on my part that you so happily pointed out to the world, that’s all- but..... I didn’t misspell anything, though....[emoji18]

Yeah, I get it......just like you pointed out his spelling error to the whole world......

And per my grade school english teachers, bad spelling & bad grammar are both unacceptable, altho in today's world, they are also much more common.

Trust me, very little of the whole world sees this site........and we all make mistakes......I have to proof read mine as my brain and fingers do NOT play well together on a keyboard at all, and sometimes I get in such a hurry I miss something, and then someone else dings me on it....it's a never ending saga.

Just don't do the run on sentence structure or the monster-ific paragraphs.

:gr_grin: