Efan help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willard50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put an efan off a Ford Taurus on my truck with a Hayden preset fan controller from O'Reillys, and I keep blowing the fuse. The relay and power wires get hotter than hell when the fan kicks on. I wired it up according to the directions, and have a good ground, and it'll run for a few minutes, but then the fuse melts. Any ideas?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you need the fan relay that should have came with the fan. those ford fan are know for pulling a lot of amps and the kit you bought is most likely only rate for about 30/40 amps tops.

OP
OP
W

Willard50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I knew something wasn't right, just couldn't figure it out! That makes more sense.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya i bet the wires to the fan connector are probably a bit heavier gauge wire than the ones that run to the fan controller.

OP
OP
W

Willard50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the fan wires are way bigger than the relay wires. I got my fan from pick n pull. Do i need to just go there and trace down the relay and cut it out for my fan?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you can get the relay off the vehicle that you got the fans off of for nothing or next to nothing that would probably be the best way to go since higher amperage relays usually cost a bit more than the average relay. it might even be as simple as pulling it out of a fuse panel. i am not 100% sure since i really don't know ford very well.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or just buy a bigger relay. But an amp meter on the power wire for the fan and see what the peak amps are when it starts. Get a relay that's a tad bigger. Or you can buy the flex a lite controller. It has the relay built in. Not sure if it's big enough for the Taurus fan. My flex a lite runs a 30 amp fuse.

Last edited:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
From what I found on Google those fans pull about 30 amp when running but can see pretty high spike on startup

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a diy for this? I cant find one. What all do I need for this? Then do I just unbolt my stock fan?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i got a set of 10 amp fans on my truck so mine is safe running a normal relay but the wiring on mine is more than strong enough to support 30 amp pull. when it comes to electric fans a bit of overkill goes a long way. when i had a fan controller i still ended up hooking it up to the previous relay setup just because i didn't trust the cheap parts. i had a HAYDEN 3651 controlling my fans and it worked great up until i went through 1 too many puddles. saying that if you do get a cheap controller mount it somewhere where water wont get to it. i am still running my fans on a switch but i got a old engine that won't blow up if it overheats a little or at least it hasn't when i was running at 230-240

http://www.ramforum.com/f76/efan_diy-3455/index3.html