Emergency fuel cutoff switch?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by kdryan, Jan 2, 2017.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. kdryan

kdryan Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    So my '98 Ram 5.2 stopped running in the middle of the road on Christmas eve. It's getting spark, but not fuel. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake and it started, so it's not getting fuel. I replaced the relay and the fuse looks okay, so I am thinking fuel pump. If it is, it's going to sit until spring because I am NOT going out there in 30° weather to drop that tank! Before I set it aside for the winter though I wondered i there was an emergency fuel cutoff switch somewhere. I know I ran into that on my Mustang and an old Grand Marquis I used to have so I thought it might have one...

Any thoughts or advice on doing this job?

2. sbarron

sbarron Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    when you turn the key to "on", can you hear the fuel pump come on momentarily?

3. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    Fuel cutoff is controlled by the PCM through the ASD relay. I believe the ASD relay also cuts off power to the ignition coil. If you want to check and the problem still persists, in the underhood fuse block, swap the A/C compressor clutch relay and the ASD relay, they should be the same type.

Otherwise, your problem may be lack of fuel pressure from either a bad pump, or a bad pressure regulator. An easy way to check is to rent a fuel pressure test kit from a place like autozone and test fuel pressure at the fuel fail by the TB.

4. kdryan

kdryan Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Got a new relay since there are about a dozen of the same thing on the truck. I figured if no joy, I would have a spare. No joy... Don't hear the fuel pump...