Engine going through oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt2016Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have noticed that half way through the past couple of oil changes that the level on the dipstick is in the middle. of the range. I added some oil this time and towed a camper about 150 miles and it was back in the middle. I haven't noticed any burning under the hood or out the exhaust. Haven't searched under the hood yet, but there hasn't been any oil on the ground. Noticed here lately once I crank it up (2016 Ram 1500 5.7) i get what I believe is lifter tick. It does it for about 15 seconds and goes away.
Has anyone had this issue? After checking around the pan and valve cover, will more than likely pull plugs and check them out. Engine has 92,400 on it. Wouldn't think the valve seals would be going already. Hope it's not the rings.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is completely normal, oil is used in combustion process. Minimize this by using a low noack high hths oil. Search hemi tick lubrication threads for the tick, two separate things. With 92k miles, you can have carbon on rings, run redline si-1 through the fuel tank for 3k miles, a few bottles I'd say, not all at once but every other tank for a while, then change the oil to a thicker oil.

OP
OP
C

Curt2016Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advice. I have never had an engine use oil like this and it just started around 85K miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Used to bug me, the best vehicle I ever owned used a solid quart every 3k miles. 11 years no problems used heavily, and I miss that thing a lot. We have done a lot of testing and searching as a forum, hemi395 was incredible in testing. Carbon buildup can cause issues with piston rings, causes oil to blow by. Now, sometimes rings can just rust out and in that case all you can do is use a thicker oil, but if it is carbon buildup ram forum has proven two methods and products through searching and in this case testing it and boroscoping it, that was hemi395. All of our searching and watching boroscopes on youtube, only these 2 methods were effective. No other product in the tank worked like si-1. It will make your oil smell chemically, so it is best used before an oil change. Wait til you run the tank low before changing.

Two choices, run sea foam though the vac lines only, no not in gas tank and not in oil, through vac lines gets it 100% strength right on piston top. See chris fixes boroscope on it youtube.

Then corey did his own test after we seen two others that show redline si-1 boroscoped, all three tests showed it working perfectly, righ on the rings. It slowly melts away the carbon. His boroscope below.

full-76018-37988-p22.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500