Engine noise after oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockyram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed the oil on my 2009 Ram Hemi switching from conventional to Castrol Syntec 5w20 synthetic. About 86,000 kms on the truck. Noticed a weird noise when I got home. It happens after the engine warms up. It's kind of a cylic noise, almost sounds like a belt although it is not a squeal or chirp noise.You can hear it at idle but not when driving.Put on a new Gatorback belt as well as a new idler pulley with no luck. It does'nt do it until it's warmed up which is weird. I've been thinking maybe it's the oil itself. I find it hard to be coincidental this noise arose right after the oil was changed. I'll try and figure how to post a vid and try to upload one.

OP
OP
R

rockyram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used a Napa Gold filter which is made by Wix and Castrol Syntec 5w20 synthetic oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Use your webcam and upload to youtube.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure this applies in your case, but years ago some truck owners found when they switched oil to synthetic and a non Mopar filter they would get a slight Hemi tic like sound. When they switched back the noise went away.

So it is conceivable the new oil and filter maybe the root of the noise.

Can't remember which oil was used or the filter used either, maybe a search would bring it up.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure this applies in your case, but years ago some truck owners found when they switched oil to synthetic and a non Mopar filter they would get a slight Hemi tic like sound. When they switched back the noise went away.

So it is conceivable the new oil and filter maybe the root of the noise.

Can't remember which oil was used or the filter used either, maybe a search would bring it up.

I always though they were horror stories but I've heard something similar to this before aswell. Perticularily engines that were broken in with non synthetic oil. I was told it was clearance related and likely lifter chatter but...all hear-say

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I was not Impressed with the Syntec Myself and found that the Hemi-Tick was more prevalent and that the Oil looked extra dirty come change interval. Not saying its crappy oil just didn't like it. The Napa Gold Filter is a real good filter IMO.

Try Royal Purple or Redline next Time and betcha she runs quieter!

OP
OP
R

rockyram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll try and upload a video to You Tube. I switched the filter to a Mobil 1 but no difference. The noise seems louder under the front end than in the engine bay itself. I think Ill try going back to regular oil.

OP
OP
R

rockyram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think I should pull the filter or would it be OK to leave the oil in the filter and just mix it with regular oil?

Mikey The Saint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 MDS
I have the same issue. Mine is an 07 though. It did it the first time I tried to run Syntec 5 20. Ran for a couple thousand and dumped the oil and filter and put in Pennzoil yellow bottle regular oil and a Mobil 1 filter. Noise cut in half. Noose eventually went away. Started using Bosch filters. I put in Quaker state with Mobil 1 filter this last time around, noise came back. I am convinced it has to do with the filter oil combo and will go back to Mopar filters soon. Probably Pennzoil too. I am interested in hearing more of what you find out.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hmm might want to get it checked out. I'm surprised to hear that the same weight oil made a difference with the sound on others vehicles. I would be concerned about maybe the oil pump. Idk...

Mikey The Saint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 MDS
Had it checked out 2 times by 2 Dodge dealers. They have no clue. Totally useless and cost me both times. The engine was still under the 5 yr power train warranty too, but those blood suckers still charge you to do nothing. They seem to think it is a known issue that comes and goes. I really think it is oil and filter combinations. Interestingly, it ALWAYS happens to a certain extent with EVERY oil change. But, in the past couple years, it's been faint, and the sound disappears within a day or two. Go figure. I feel the best filter for this engine is the Mopar. Since having this noise I have put almost 50k on the truck. It doesn't seem to affect anything. Just super annoying. An experienced mechanic said it sounded like rocker arm harmonics. This I don't know anything about, or why it coincides with an oil change. Interested in all feedback.