Engine stalls out after starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blakebunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
I cleaned my truck last night and went over it with some quick detailer this morning. After I went over it with quick detailer, I left it run and went inside to grab a drink. Came back out to it shut off and started it back up, except this time it wouldn't start unless I kept on the gas. Does anyone know what would cause it to act like this? Its a 1999 2500 v10

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Your Idle Air Control (IAC) motor on the throttle body is dying/dead. Simple fix. New part and about 10-15 minutes.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I have a 98 5.2 ram, and I have had this happen because of a dirty sensor in the throttle body. It would start and idle fine when cold, but when fully warmed up, you would have to hold your foot on it for a few seconds or it would just stall right after starting. I was told by a dealership mechanic that this can happen every 30,000 miles or so, and a good spraying down the throttlebody throat with cleaner should fix it up. It has been true so far, first had the problem around 30k, and recently had to clean it again when it rolled over 60k. Never had any experience with a V 10, so I'm not sure if those might suffer from the same problem. But I suppose if you haven't cleaned the throttle body recently, $3 for a can of cleaner is a cheap fix if it works.
Dave