Exhaust Questions.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning all, I have a couple of questions.

So this morning driving to work Bertha suddenly got louder. Arriving at work I took a look and low and behold the weld at the back of the muffler (to tailpipe) snapped clean off. I did just order a Flowmaster Super 40 (as recommended by @Demon-HeMi, thank you Sir, where ever he may be now) and I'll get that installed ASAP. What I did notice (when I installed the Shocks last year) is after the axel it looks like a second smaller muffler.

My questions are.......

#1 What the Hell is it (or what is it for)?

#2 Is it actually needed on the exhaust system?

As always, thank you for your help and input!

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That second muffler is probably your resonator.

Back in the day, you used to be able to tell a muffler from a resonator by tapping on them with something. If it sounded like *TING* it was a resonator, *THUD* it's a muffler. Not sure if that applies today.

OP
OP
MikeG71

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense.

so if it's after the muffler, basically at the end of the exhaust, I would assume it is more for noise and probably not really needed. ......?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense.

so if it's after the muffler, basically at the end of the exhaust, I would assume it is more for noise and probably not really needed. ......?
When your truck was new, you would of had a resonator before and after the muffler and, typically, you can live without one of them. One is needed to reduce/eliminate the inevitable drone in the cab and most of the time that usually is the post-cat resonator, that is if you don't want the drone of course. All that being said, I'm running with just the two resonators and no muffler, not caring for the noise overall, it's a bit much for me as I'm no longer in my 20's.

That second muffler is probably your resonator.

Back in the day, you used to be able to tell a muffler from a resonator by tapping on them with something. If it sounded like *TING* it was a resonator, *THUD* it's a muffler. Not sure if that applies today.
The first time I looked under my truck after I bought it, my biggest question was "Why the heck do I have 3 mufflers?"