Filling up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smketrfdny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good afternoon, hope all is well for everyone. At times, I prefer to top off the tank of my 07 MC 5.9. Once the pump stops, it can take 20 plus minutes to completely top it off. Obviously, i don't do it very often due to the amount of time. Once in the 12 plus years I've owned it, did it top off pretty quick. I wonder if anyone else has this issue, or would something crazy like something floating in the tank blocks the air vent every time (this i doubt, but thought I'd ask). Thanks in advance.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Topping off could cost you more than gas money & time.

It can cost you an ESIM & Charcoal Cannister
It can also cause your Roll Over Valve to close & i don't believe that there is a reset to change it back to the correct position.
Then i don't believe that you can replace the Roll Over Valve, so you would have to buy another fuel tank

Good Luck with your preferred method of fueling up

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It can also cause your Roll Over Valve to close & i don't believe that there is a reset to change it back to the correct position.
Then i don't believe that you can replace the Roll Over Valve, so you would have to buy another fuel tank

This is the truth, ask me how I know. Lol

OP
OP
smketrfdny

smketrfdny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I didn't know this vintage of diesels had ESIM's. I always thought that was a gasser thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong-won't be the first time.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I didn't know this vintage of diesels had ESIM's. I always thought that was a gasser thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong-won't be the first time.
Your correct, not even the modern diesel use them.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From experience, unfortunately? lol. Only did the top off on long trips. Thought about a Titan tank, but because i wanted to, not because I had to. Thanks for the heads up
Yes I learned from experience as I ruined my tank by saturating the evap system. My experience was with a gasoline powered truck. You have a diesel engine and from what I’m reading here the diesel does not use the same fuel evaporative system. Looks like you are immune to the effects of topping off the tank.

OP
OP
smketrfdny

smketrfdny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I learned from experience as I ruined my tank by saturating the evap system. My experience was with a gasoline powered truck. You have a diesel engine and from what I’m reading here the diesel does not use the same fuel evaporative system. Looks like you are immune to the effects of topping off the tank.
Sorry to hear. Good to know, but is it worth the risk? Either or, the few times i topped it off, i averaged and extra 3.5 gallons to top it off. BUT, it took 15-20 minutes or longer to do it. That alone wasn't worth the thought of 'more accurate mpg'. As I've noticed, I've gotten more info here, and good advice, than the usual knuckleheads on certain social media pages, who just are clowns because you don't have their 'knowledge'. Nothing like that here. Thanks again. Now just need to decide what travel trailer to buy lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't care what fuel costs or about mileage when i am just traveling

Say i am driving cross country, coast to coast, to visit family

I fill up whenever i stop for coffee or whenever i know that there is a stretch of road, where there are no fuel stops ahead.

One such place is in Texas,
I fuel up in El Paso, then again in Van Horn, because gas stations are closed up between Van Horn & Odessa & there are no Road assistance trucks like AAA & very few, if any police