Fixing exhaust manifold bolts under warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. Your right. I posted the status as of this morning on one of the other many threads on this issue. 7 months of demonstrating the leak and replacing exhaust parts that they suspect are leaking is frustrating. But got to gut it out. I do not want to replace it with a 2019, replace it with a "similar" 2018 or get my money back. They have a technical advisor coming in this week or next. The service manager is solid, but they get no help from FCA or Ram regarding what we and the rest of the Ram world has come to know is the problem. I believe the tech will tell them, replace the exhaust headers and FCA will cover the additional warranty time.
I know years ago when crew cabs were just work trucks my dad had ordered a Dodge and was going to pull a 5th wheeler with it. From day 1 it had a drivetrain vibration. They rebalanced the wheels, replaced torque converter, new rods and mains, rebalanced driveshaft, new u joints. Come to find out it was a bad pinion bearing and the way they found that was when my dad ordered it he wanted a specific gear set and they told him it wasn't available. My cousin worked at a Dodge dealership about 100 miles from where we lived and he was talking to dad and said hey, I got that gear set laying up here in the shop, bring it up and I'll change it out. When they found the bad pinion bearing all dad had to pay for was the gear set, labor covered under warranty.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I know years ago when crew cabs were just work trucks my dad had ordered a Dodge and was going to pull a 5th wheeler with it. From day 1 it had a drivetrain vibration. They rebalanced the wheels, replaced torque converter, new rods and mains, rebalanced driveshaft, new u joints. Come to find out it was a bad pinion bearing and the way they found that was when my dad ordered it he wanted a specific gear set and they told him it wasn't available. My cousin worked at a Dodge dealership about 100 miles from where we lived and he was talking to dad and said hey, I got that gear set laying up here in the shop, bring it up and I'll change it out. When they found the bad pinion bearing all dad had to pay for was the gear set, labor covered under warranty.

Yep the good old days. The real world today, is understandable. Dealers sell and the service department is expected to service 4-6 brands. Techs do not get a chance to get good or experienced understanding one brand.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep the good old days. The real world today, is understandable. Dealers sell and the service department is expected to service 4-6 brands. Techs do not get a chance to get good or experienced understanding one brand.
That's why is be real hesitant about buying a diesel now. Very few dealerships have a good, knowledgeable diesel tech.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
That's why is be real hesitant about buying a diesel now. Very few dealerships have a good, knowledgeable diesel tech.

Yep. In our truck group there are 32 members that do horse camping. 70% of the trucks are Ram. Half of those are diesel and half 5.7 and 6.4. Several of the diesel guys regret getting a diesel. DEF issues. No start issues. And as you said, tech that have no experience diagnosing and resolving.

Jon3006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was under the impression it was due to the different thermal properties of the two components. The head being aluminum and the manifold being steel. Different expansion and retraction rates causing the increased shear on the bolts. The service advisor I spoke to said it’s been problematic for a while and many many more rams have the issue than those having it repaired. He said people think it’s hemi tick and just ignore it.

Mike Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has had the ill-fated broken manifold bolt sound for 2 weeks now. 2014 with 53,000 miles.
Just had my truck in for an oil change and was confirmed I have at least 2 broken on the passenger side.
I use an independently owned shop for regular service so I will be contacting the local dealership today to see what they say. I know I am with in my 5/100,000 warranty.

I want to make sure they aren't going to just throw a new bolt in and call it repaired. Do dealerships usually take the time to make sure the mating surface is still flat and the gasket is not damaged?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not as simple as just throwing in a bolt. The manifold will need to be removed to get broken bolt out and then of course new gasket. Now, anyone with any sense would make sure that manifold is still flat and either get it machined or get a new one before just replacing the old one. I would hope they would do the job right but I guess that would depend on you're dealer.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah I bet the swap out the bolts and stick the manifold back on.

I would for sure ask them about it.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
My truck has had the ill-fated broken manifold bolt sound for 2 weeks now. 2014 with 53,000 miles.
Just had my truck in for an oil change and was confirmed I have at least 2 broken on the passenger side.
I use an independently owned shop for regular service so I will be contacting the local dealership today to see what they say. I know I am with in my 5/100,000 warranty.

I want to make sure they aren't going to just throw a new bolt in and call it repaired. Do dealerships usually take the time to make sure the mating surface is still flat and the gasket is not damaged?
No.

tntn63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sent mine to dealer. Week and a half now. Not fixed yet. One bolt broken, so they say. Waiting on warranty company to authorize major expense. Technician screwed up on drilling out. Not happy at all. Service tells me the head needs to go to machine shop for helicoil. I am now having to rent a truck to tow my camp trailer for a camping trip that has been planned since March. This is my extended service warranty not the factory. They put it back together so I could use it for trip. told me its loud now and may throw some codes. I said no thanks. Remember this is a dealership. Sorry for the venting. Just wanted anyone thinking of this repair to check around. I would have fixed it myself (with the welding process)if not covered by warranty. Thanks for the post.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was under the impression it was due to the different thermal properties of the two components. The head being aluminum and the manifold being steel. Different expansion and retraction rates causing the increased shear on the bolts. The service advisor I spoke to said it’s been problematic for a while and many many more rams have the issue than those having it repaired. He said people think it’s hemi tick and just ignore it.

Maybe you got lucky. If they machine the head so its flat, people have posted it won't warp again. Inconvenient, but in the long-term you come out ahead.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Some of you know that I have pursued a exhaust leak on my 2018 2500 6.4 for 8 months, 3 repair attempts, 7 dealer visits and 21 days in service. I have learned more about this issue than I realy need to know. As stated above, there is no exception for either replacing the manifolds or plane surfacing them, once the leak begins. Warped manifolds will never stop leaking regardless of gasket type or bolt strength. When a factory torqued bolt breaks, it breaks because the manifold has warped. They warp because 1. they were not installed correctly and torqued properly in assembly. 2. the exhaust leak warps the manifolds,,quickly. Members who have also experienced this problem have found that, under warranty, the dealers will only fix what is broken. It is rare that a dealer will replace the manifolds or have them resurfaced once this issue is addressed. Out of of warranty repairs done by other members have solved this problem by replacing the manifolds with application specific aftermarket manifolds, ATR or AMR hardened bolts and the new Felpro (thicker) manifold gasket. FCA choose to replace my truck rather than try again to fix it. Understand that new assembly procedures have resulted in fewer defects since 3/2018. Will see. Certainly hope so.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's amazing. They're willing to replace a whole truck instead of giving up new manifolds, or hell it would be cheaper to do aftermarket headers. It's no wonder these trucks cost so much, they're not willing to replace a broken part or train techs appropriately in the factory or dealerships to diagnose and fix these known issues.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's amazing. They're willing to replace a whole truck instead of giving up new manifolds, or hell it would be cheaper to do aftermarket headers. It's no wonder these trucks cost so much, they're not willing to replace a broken part or train techs appropriately in the factory or dealerships to diagnose and fix these known issues.

Pretty darn sad, ain't it?

How miles did you have again, Fitz?

TXCOMT

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
So, as the owner of a 2014 1500 with 48k on it, 12 months left on factory warranty, and no problems yet... what should I do? It seems like a preemptive strike is better and cheaper in the long run. I imagine I will not do anything until the warranty is nearly up, but then what? It sounds like replacing bolts while they are still intact or upgrading is better than waiting until it breaks and having bolts extracted and the manifold planed. Should I just replace the bolts with high quality bolts, or will that just delay the inevitable? Should I replace the exhaust manifold with an aftermarket one that won’t warp? Thanks.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, they going to replace entire truck, instead of doing manifolds and give U a truck till repaired. Now that makes sense $$$????

Sounds like in the end Fitz U may be the winner in this lottery.

Good Luck on all.

T-Bird

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Unless you have a lifetime warranty, I would replace the manifolds after they are fixed under the 5/ 100 warranty. In fact buy the new headers & give them th the dealer to put back once they get the broken bolts out.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you have a lifetime warranty, I would replace the manifolds after they are fixed under the 5/ 100 warranty. In fact buy the new headers & give them th the dealer to put back once they get the broken bolts out.

Id almost go as far as saying to do that even if you DO have the lifetime warranty.

If they dont replace the manifolds completely (or machine them flat), you'll be paying your deductible every time they need to be fixed again. I assume after the initial break-then-fix, the metal will be fatigued enough that it starts to happen even faster.

I know they wont install headers, but you could probably make a case for handing them genuine mopar manifolds and still honoring the lifetime warranty from then on.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
There are some very good post results on the forum under this topic. Members who have replaced their headers with "shorty's" #8 manifold bolts and a quality manifold gasket say they have solved their problem.

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I have a low opinion of dealer maintenance, so I wouldn’t expect them to do anything besides replace the old bolts with new ones. It sounds like replacing OEM bolts with higher quality fasteners won’t solve the problem either - true? I watched a YouTube video of a guy installing Fiberglas wrapped shorty headers with some minor tweaks to the heat shield. Is that the approved solution, or is there another “plug and play” header that solves this problem? I don’t care about pimping my truck- I just want fix the root cause and never worry about it again.