flashing cel 2010 ram 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keith0723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know this has been talked about alot but i cant get it resolved. when i hit 4k rms while passing or merging in traffic the truck will shack and run horrible for a minute while the cel flashes 10 times. i have a p0301 code when this happens. i replaced plugs and coils with no improvement. also ive noticed alot of pinging like my gas doesnt have enough octane. ive tryed the best gas with no improvement. could it be a bad injector? this has been going on for about 30k miles which is why im the ram in the right lane behind grandma doing the speed limit. thanks guys. truck has 160k miles

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2261555/share

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
i know this has been talked about alot but i cant get it resolved. when i hit 4k rms while passing or merging in traffic the truck will shack and run horrible for a minute while the cel flashes 10 times. i have a p0301 code when this happens. i replaced plugs and coils with no improvement. also ive noticed alot of pinging like my gas doesnt have enough octane. ive tryed the best gas with no improvement. could it be a bad injector? this has been going on for about 30k miles which is why im the ram in the right lane behind grandma doing the speed limit. thanks guys. truck has 160k miles

Compression test the cylinder and go from there. If you loose power I'd start checking cam and lifter. It could be starving for fuel as well but I would think you'd be getting a P219A or similar for bank 1 leaning out.

OP
OP
K

keith0723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. If the lifter was bad would a compression test tell me that? I thought when a lifter went it still closed all the way just doesn't open all the way. If so how do I tell a lifter is going bad? Thanks again

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Thank you. If the lifter was bad would a compression test tell me that? I thought when a lifter went it still closed all the way just doesn't open all the way. If so how do I tell a lifter is going bad? Thanks again

Most of the time a compression test will give you the answer but if the compression test is still suspect a leak down test will get it done.

What I would suspect is the valves not opening properly hence the cam and lifter causing combustion at the wrong firing time.

OP
OP
K

keith0723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the truck has ran the same for the last 30k. if it was the cam and lifters wouldnt the problem get worse over the last 30k? just a thought. im hoping its not the cam and lifters. will do a compression check soon. thanks again.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the truck has ran the same for the last 30k. if it was the cam and lifters wouldnt the problem get worse over the last 30k? just a thought. im hoping its not the cam and lifters. will do a compression check soon. thanks again.

Does it idle smooth? normally when cam 100% goes it will misfire at idle also any loud knocking or tapping. As for the pining mine does it under load I have 209k on it run some seafoam in your tank sounds like you might have a lot of carbon mine after running a tank or 2 of seafoam and 1 down the intake mine stopped for now.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Most of the time a compression test will give you the answer but if the compression test is still suspect a leak down test will get it done.

What I would suspect is the valves not opening properly hence the cam and lifter causing combustion at the wrong firing time.
Um,, no. Leak down test will tell you nothing about the camshaft, Compression test maybe, but only if the intake lobe is almost gone.
Only real way to tell is pull the valve cover and measure cam lift/ rocker arm movement

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So if you hit 4k rpms when cold it is still good, but when warm it shakes? I think your cam is baked anyhow.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Um,, no. Leak down test will tell you nothing about the camshaft, Compression test maybe, but only if the intake lobe is almost gone.
Only real way to tell is pull the valve cover and measure cam lift/ rocker arm movement

I was too lazy to type out my reasoning

Screenshot_20210209-145045_Chrome.jpg

The reason you'd want to perform these tests first is because mechanics work by the hour and this would avoid more cost on engine tear down. If it's your own truck then you're wasting your own time but that is something different all together. :D:D:D

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Leak down test will not verify a flat camshaft lobe.
It will tell you cylinder leakage period.
ie valve not seating or leaking, piston rings leaking etc.

The second paragraph of your message that I quoted is a mess also

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Leak down test will not verify a flat camshaft lobe.
It will tell you cylinder leakage period.
ie valve not seating or leaking, piston rings leaking etc.

The second paragraph of your message that I quoted is a mess also

Sorry I am Yoda. Right you are. Listen to Yoda you will. :Angry::angels25::anitoof::biggun:

OP
OP
K

keith0723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the responses. i have never hit 4k when cold. when warm it sometimes wont shake but cel flashes. truck idles really smooth even highway speeds its really smooth. this is why im thinking it could be something else. 30k miles and runs great except for high rpms. no loud noises but it does have a little tick on the same side as cyl 1. the pinging is not under load it happens around 2k rpms of normal easy driving. if i give it more gas the pinging will stop. also cel is off and has been off for mths. it only flashes at higher rpms. when this first started 30k miles ago the cel light would stay on which is how i got the p0301 code.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
a great ram forum member added this to his many dyi threads, this is the cam bible install thread around here. if you dyi pay close attentions to rods, seam like this is the most common cause for ca installs gone wrong on the board.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the responses. i have never hit 4k when cold. when warm it sometimes wont shake but cel flashes. truck idles really smooth even highway speeds its really smooth. this is why im thinking it could be something else. 30k miles and runs great except for high rpms. no loud noises but it does have a little tick on the same side as cyl 1. the pinging is not under load it happens around 2k rpms of normal easy driving. if i give it more gas the pinging will stop. also cel is off and has been off for mths. it only flashes at higher rpms. when this first started 30k miles ago the cel light would stay on which is how i got the p0301 code.

You should have it looked at and hooked up to a good scanner to see whats going on could still be electrical or fuel pump related. If you cam has never been done and your at 160k good chance its the issue mine failed at 170k most 4th gen ram 5.7s will need a cam sometime in their life. It is not that bad of a job to do I did mine myself for $1000 also do not let a shop tell you that you need a new engine if its the cam you don't most will try to upsell to new engine..

OP
OP
K

keith0723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the cam has never been replaced. i will check it out when the weather breaks. thanks again for all the input. jws123 did you go oem or aftermarket?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you have a Jay Green Cam upgrade in your future welcome to the club !

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the cam has never been replaced. i will check it out when the weather breaks. thanks again for all the input. jws123 did you go oem or aftermarket?

Yea the weather sucks rn i have work to do on mine but i keep putting it off ahah. I used a Oem Mopar cam with new after market lifters the brand I used sucked I am sure someone here will post what ones to use tho I also tuned out the ****** mds system you should do that if you havnt.

OP
OP
K

keith0723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if a friend of mine has a tuner for the same truck can i use it on mine to turn off the mds or is it just for one vehicle? jws123 what part of jersey you from?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Most tuners can only be used on one vehicle.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if a friend of mine has a tuner for the same truck can i use it on mine to turn off the mds or is it just for one vehicle? jws123 what part of jersey you from?

Most tuners can only be used once Mine is a diablo sport Intune i3 it can be used on multiple vehicles if you buy another key which is $150 so 150 per vehicle Also Monmouth county u?