FLYWHEEL Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all..just killing time with Covid all around and got to wondering if replacing the OEM FLYWHEEL and Driveshaft on my new 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Express 5.7 Hemi is a good, bad or indiffernt idea. Also is it costly for the return on power etc. Just a daily driver that i like to have some zip..getting the Edge Pulsar soon and thought of these two mods as possibilities...any and all thoughts suggestions welcome..thanks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not even sure I’ve seen a lightweight flywheel for these trucks. Not sure how much you’d gain from it. The v6 fan swap and tune is a good start at reducing parasitic loss on engine power. Headers and a custom tune seem to be the largest bang for your buck on the trucks. CAI are negligible at best and not worthwhile unless you make big power

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi all..just killing time with Covid all around and got to wondering if replacing the OEM FLYWHEEL and Driveshaft on my new 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Express 5.7 Hemi is a good, bad or indiffernt idea. Also is it costly for the return on power etc. Just a daily driver that i like to have some zip..getting the Edge Pulsar soon and thought of these two mods as possibilities...any and all thoughts suggestions welcome..thanks.

I'm like CK not sure i've seen a lightweight automatic flexplate/flywheel for the Hemi,are you by chance referring to the harmonic balancer at the front of the motor,if so it's usually one of the last mods most guys do,as the gain from it isn't really huge in the way of freeing up some lost horsepower.But it does help with engine harmonics and making the engine at bit smoother feeling.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys..I know zip on these trucks just wandering around sites to pick up info. Did do the AFE closed CAI and it seems to add a bit of zip. Had a mustang and went to an aftermarket lightweight flywheel and carbonb fiber driveshaft and it made a substantial difference. It freed up 15 lbs of rotational mass weight. i think i will stick with what I have in mind the Pulsar and maybe Headers if there is a set that are not to loud...cheers and thanks for the response.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys..I know zip on these trucks just wandering around sites to pick up info. Did do the AFE closed CAI and it seems to add a bit of zip. Had a mustang and went to an aftermarket lightweight flywheel and carbonb fiber driveshaft and it made a substantial difference. It freed up 15 lbs of rotational mass weight. i think i will stick with what I have in mind the Pulsar and maybe Headers if there is a set that are not to loud...cheers and thanks for the response.
I did it to a vw I had and it was noticeable up top. Headers you need a custom tune unless you do shorties.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Track down either Steven Cooper or Devon Brisban in your town.Steven runs the fastest Ram in Canada these days,and Devon just sold his truck,but his was the next fastest Ram in Canada,both are out in Dundurn,with-in spitting distant of SIR. Somewhere around here i have their phone numbers,both are on Tuned Rams and High Performance Rams on facebook,but not on here.If you've been around SIR in the last year or so,Steven runs the little dark blue 2015 R/T and Devon was running the white crewcab 4X4 before he sold it.Both are/were nitrous trucks,and both are good guys to talk to for advice.Stevens truck runs 11.2's at 120 over here at Castrol/Edmonton

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Big difference between a flywheel and flexplate when it comes to weight. A light weight flywheel can make a difference, since a flywheel can be pretty heavy.

There’s not much to a flexplate anyway, they’re usually pretty light as it is. Even if you found one the performance difference would likely be insignificant, especially for a daily.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze on this one. There are definitely more cost-effective ways to gain power (intake/exhaust/tune/cam etc)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Big difference between a flywheel and flexplate when it comes to weight. A light weight flywheel can make a difference, since a flywheel can be pretty heavy.

There’s not much to a flexplate anyway, they’re usually pretty light as it is. Even if you found one the performance difference would likely be insignificant, especially for a daily.

The only gain would be if the aftermarket one had the SFI sticker on it,lol

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been chewing on that Livinalittle. Seems the CAI, the Tuner route, the exhaust all actually give you a little piece 10-20 Hp at a time. Imagine if some genious came up with a method to put these things in a package. Include the visual dyno proof so. Probably too much $$ at one shot. Better to piece meal it as in my case .......Still it would be nice to see the overall total "nunbers" result of said..after market "Package"

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think afe offers a full blown intake exhaust package. arh is top of the line and sells a full blown exhaust package. Just no tuner included. I’m more leaning towards kooks long tubes currently but I have a Borla catback kit in my truck already. Moes performance sells tuners and other performance items. Look up Hemi450hp to see some of his builds. He has a new one he just started as well. I also use @Nick@GotExhaust for some of my purchases. Both are great vendors on this site.