Forged Crank for 5.7-Opinions on when it's worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Hey there,

I'm getting ready to start a fall project by doing forged drop-in pistons. I'm making a little over 500 WHP with a supercharger making 5-7 PSI on boost. I'm doing this so I can have some peace of mind as I have totally stock internals. When I add the forged internals I may get a new pulley to get up to 8-10 pounds of boost, not sure. Question for those of you who have some experience, at what is probably a max 550 WHP output, is it worth going with a forged crank or a 6.1 crank? When does it make sense? I'm using the truck as a daily driver, an occasional fun pull but nothing crazy.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
You'll be fine with the stock crank. If dead set on a forged crank get a good used 6.4 crank. Forged from the factory and they're cheap and plentiful.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're talking about a 1/4 drag shots here and there, then I'd say the original cast crank will hold you out. Sure, you can toss in Forged parts.....if you want the extra insurance on the bottom end (piston/rod/crank). But if it's streetable enough to be a daily driver, then it's safe to say that an OEM crank will hold out against your abuse.

EDIT: Then again, if you're looking at 8-10psi boost, get the forged stuff.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey there,

I'm getting ready to start a fall project by doing forged drop-in pistons. I'm making a little over 500 WHP with a supercharger making 5-7 PSI on boost. I'm doing this so I can have some peace of mind as I have totally stock internals. When I add the forged internals I may get a new pulley to get up to 8-10 pounds of boost, not sure. Question for those of you who have some experience, at what is probably a max 550 WHP output, is it worth going with a forged crank or a 6.1 crank? When does it make sense? I'm using the truck as a daily driver, an occasional fun pull but nothing crazy.

Have you gave any thought to doing a forged 6.4/392 instead,you should be able to sell your old 5.7 and recoup a little of your investment.A forged 6.4 on 6/7lbs is going to make pretty close to the same power as a 5.7 on 10lbs,and live longer.There's a few outfits who offer up forged 6,4's,this is only arringtons version to give you ideas.

https://www.shophemi.com/p-2574-arrington-forged-392-short-block.aspx

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hey there,

700whp is getting into the need for a forged crack.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
If you do a forged 392 you might as well go all out and do a 426. The cost difference is negligible. Ask me how I know.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Lol. You freaking guys are going to get me into trouble! Someday I would like to do a 6.4, but that day is probably a few years out... It'd be fun!