Front end humming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys

When I'm driving down the road between 30-45 mph I get a lot of humming/squeaky noise from my front wheel area. (Not grinding) I changed my brake pads and its still there. Could that be the rotors?

Any advice on this? I appreciate any intel!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'd be more apt to suspect wheel bearing. Jack front end up and shake the wheel by hand in all directions looking for play

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'd be more apt to suspect wheel bearing. Jack front end up and shake the wheel by hand in all directions looking for play

I was afraid of it being wheel bearing. I'll definitely check that out. I did replace those in 2010. How long do those typically last?

Also, I upgraded my rotors since then too. Drilled slotted, long story short, I don't even see the diamond cut anymore! Replacing front rotors now.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I was afraid of it being wheel bearing. I'll definitely check that out. I did replace those in 2010. How long do those typically last?

Also, I upgraded my rotors since then too. Drilled slotted, long story short, I don't even see the diamond cut anymore! Replacing front rotors now.

How many miles did you put on them since the last install? They last longer than 5 years...

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles did you put on them since the last install? They last longer than 5 years...

Not if you get the cheap ones from the parts stores. Of course my work really only deal with lifted trucks with larger tires, and I'm not sure about the OP's truck, but if you get the cheap ones I've seen them last as long as a year or so.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Not if you get the cheap ones from the parts stores. Of course my work really only deal with lifted trucks with larger tires, and I'm not sure about the OP's truck, but if you get the cheap ones I've seen them last as long as a year or so.
Agreed, I try to buy high quality performance off road when I'm able to wait on shipping. When I'm in a pinch though, I'll buy I trusted brand that I know from the parts house.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trusted brand IMO usually tends to be Moog or Spicer. Good quality stuff. I'm talking about the Master Pro, Duralast and such. Easiest way to tell at any parts store is the "Service" grade and "Premium" grade.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's my everyday driver. I went with Duralast then. But I changed those out for some better ones. The Humming is still there! :flamingdevil: I don't know what else to do. I've changed the brakes, rotors and wheel bearing hubs.

The sound isn't consistent, once I reach 30 mph it starts and goes away after 50 mph. Like metal friction or something. I'm at a lost and so far $300 in cost. This crap is annoying me and kinda embarrassing because it gets loud at times.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As said you need to jack the front up and look for play in the wheel bearings.

If it is indeed the wheel bearing, I always just recommend parts store premium with life time warranty. Moog is junk nowadays, quality control is gone.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As said you need to jack the front up and look for play in the wheel bearings.

If it is indeed the wheel bearing, I always just recommend parts store premium with life time warranty. Moog is junk nowadays, quality control is gone.

Not the wheel bearings, just changed literally 4 hrs ago. Rotos last weekend. Brakes were done 2 weeks ago too.

I would wonder if it's the tires but I wouldn't see how it could make screeching, squealing sound.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Like Merc suggested check front diff. Are you sure is the front end and not the trans possibly?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or even the rear end as well. Almost sounds like a pinion bearing issue.
Since your truck is an 02 then front pinion bearing noise could be an issue.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Or even the rear end as well. Almost sounds like a pinion bearing issue.
Since your truck is an 02 then front pinion bearing noise could be an issue.

You guys are big help! Thanks. The transmission is good, did the tune up on that over 2 months ago.

The front diff was suggested to check, I'm only 2WD. The sound is coming from the wheel(s) area. Now is there wheel bearings in the back too? I only know of the front, and I swear when I stick my head out the window when I'm driving it sounds like it's coming from the front, even if I don't stick my head out.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You guys are big help! Thanks. The transmission is good, did the tune up on that over 2 months ago.

The front diff was suggested to check, I'm only 2WD. The sound is coming from the wheel(s) area. Now is there wheel bearings in the back too? I only know of the front, and I swear when I stick my head out the window when I'm driving it sounds like it's coming from the front, even if I don't stick my head out.

How difficult is it to replace the rear wheel bearings? I never changed those. Only the front. I checked rockauto.com and they are significantly cheaper then the front.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Letting us know it's only a 2wd should have been in your first post. Yes rear wheel bearings can go bad, yes they can be changed out. Download the 2001 fsm here on rf it has all the info you need to do this job.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Letting us know it's only a 2wd should have been in your first post. Yes rear wheel bearings can go bad, yes they can be changed out. Download the 2001 fsm here on rf it has all the info you need to do this job.

We're all Mopar enthusiasts humans, right Merc225hp? Lol

Can tires be a possibility if the alignment is off like if it's bowing in? I mean I've run out of suggestions and I'm just throwing things out there. I am almost positive the noise is from the front wheels.

Where do I go to download that video? I'm not exactly savy on this site..?

Thanks

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
We're all Mopar enthusiasts humans, right Merc225hp? Lol

Can tires be a possibility if the alignment is off like if it's bowing in? I mean I've run out of suggestions and I'm just throwing things out there. I am almost positive the noise is from the front wheels.

Where do I go to download that video? I'm not exactly savy on this site..?

Thanks

Your on here looking for free info on how to fix your rig. The more info u provide the better we can help.

My crystal ball is broke so I had no way of knowing I'd your rig was 2wd 4wd or awd.